Jun 20, 2011, 8:25 AM EST
Because, my little weekend getaway notwithstanding, baseball stuff actually happened this weekend too …
- Hanley Ramirez was dropped in the order for Saturday’s game. Hmm, what was the Marlins manager thinking that night?!
- Oh, yeah, he was thinking about his exit strategy. Which is a shame, because he was actually a pretty decent manager.
- And now we’re all thinking about how awesome it would be for an 80-year-old to manage the Marlins.
- Albert Pujols got hurt. Looks bad, but we’ll know more today.
- Scott Boras and Jose Reyes? Nah, not really.
- Matt Holliday got into Red Schoendienst’s pants. And the results were far more pleasant than you’d think.
- Fine, John Wall’s first pitch wasn’t too great. But let’s see Todd Coffey try to run the fast break.
- Gary Carter is ailing.
- Brandon Lyon has had an unfun year. It’s about to get unfunner.
- Colby Lewis played some jai alai.
- Carl Crawford is on the DL. Clay Buchholz too.
- Brandon Phillips would like a contract extension. Hey, who wouldn’t?
- Some ballplayers were inducted into the Canadian Hall of Fame. All of my “Canadians are mild mannered and humble and thus the concept of a Hall of Fame in Canada is silly” jokes have been mooted by those riots.
- The Indians fired their hitting coach, which always works.
- Yunel Escobar gets a two-year, $10 million contract extension. I guess Bobby Cox’s character reference was ignored.
- Ozzie Guillen passed a kidney stone. Which is information I’m sure you needed this morning; and
- Phil Hughes looked good in his first rehab start.
And into the work week we go.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (102)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)