Jack McKeon accepts the Marlins’ job. So: how old is Jack McKeon?

Jun 20, 2011, 11:33 AM EDT

mckeon getty Getty Images

It’s official: Jack McKeon has accepted the job as Marlins’ interim manager.

As I said this morning, the McKeon-is-old jokes will grow tired soon. I think the “let’s put Jack McKeon’s age in perspective thing” has some legs, however. Not mocking his age, mind you, just noting his experience in the game and how having an 80-year-old manager sort of warps the general timeline.

Over at The Hardball Times, Chris Jaffe has a good look at all of that. Which makes sense considering he’s a historian. The list goes on and on, but this may be my favorite entry:

McKeon is older than James Dean or Elizabeth Taylor. He’s older than Mikhail Gorbachev or Ted Kennedy. He’s older than Sam Cooke. He’s older than Chuck Noll or Bill Walsh. He’s older than Bud Selig and only 20 weeks younger than George Steinbrenner.

Good stuff. Check it out. And then root for Jack McKeon, because this is pretty cool.

1. halladaysbicepts - Jun 20, 2011 at 11:36 AM

“So: How old is Jack McKeon”?

About the same age as Jose Contreras.

2. tuftsb - Jun 20, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Instead of 430pm meetings in the manager’s office, they will adjourn to a local restaurant for the early bird special to discuss the lineup.

McKeon will also be warned to stop telling opposing infielders to “get off my lawn”.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 20, 2011 at 11:53 AM

McKeon: “Back in my day, we didn’t use baseball gloves. We used our bare, crackled hands to catch balls. And that’s the way we liked it”!

McKeon: “Back in my day, we didn’t use batting helmets. Like my old coach Abner Doubleday used to tell me, if you can’t take a baseball to the head, you can’t play for me.”

3. yankeesfanlen - Jun 20, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Great article by Chris Jaffe at your alma mater. Surprised you don’t reference THT more often. Maybe we’ll go hide over there once in a while from the Blue Network.
    And no, Gator, this place isn’t CTB anymore. That moved to the distillery in the basement around the corner. Ask for Casey.

4. Mark Armour - Jun 20, 2011 at 11:59 AM

53 years ago Jim Kaat was a 19-year-old pitching prospect for the Missoula Timberjacks in the Class C Pioneer League.

Jack McKeon was his manager.

5. jwbiii - Jun 20, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Jack McKeon played with Jack Sanford for the 1955 Fayetteville Highlanders
    Jack Sanford played with Sam West for the 1941 Washington Senators
    Sam West played with Rogers Hornsby for the 1935 St. Louis Browns
    Rogers Hornsby played with Red Ames for the 1919 St. Louis Cardinals
    Red Ames played with Jim O’Rourke for the 1904 New York Giants
    Jim O’Rourke played with Bobby Mathews for the 1879 Providence Grays
    Bobby Mathews played for the 1871 Fort Wayne Kekiongas

6. purdueman - Jun 20, 2011 at 12:12 PM

There’s only one explanation for hiring such an old man to run a team that’s loaded with a bunch of kids who are young enough to almost be his great-great Grandchildren, and that’s because Marlins owner Loria badly wants to hire Ozzie Guillen away from the White Sox in time for the opening of their new stadium next season.

Ozzie won’t come cheap though, as the White Sox have already picked up his option for next season, so if the White Sox are open to letting Ozzie pursue the Marlins job, it’s likely going to cost the Marlins a top prospect in trade.

7. Jonny 5 - Jun 20, 2011 at 12:21 PM

How old is Jack?

Old enough to know better. Which is why I’m so surprised to see him take this job.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 20, 2011 at 12:33 PM

McKeon: “When 900 years you become, look good, you will not.”

8. addictedzone - Jun 20, 2011 at 12:57 PM

Every damn one of us should be so lucky to be offered a job and get paid to go to the ballpark and watch the game we love when we’re 80. I don’t belittle that. I strive to be that.

Jack you’re my hero.

• natstowngreg - Jun 20, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Mine too. Having just turned 60, I’d love to live to be 80, even though I have to pay my own way into the ballpark.

9. bleedgreen - Jun 20, 2011 at 1:03 PM

And somehow, he looks better than Charlie Manuel.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 20, 2011 at 1:10 PM

Well, the picture of McKeon above was from several years ago when he last managed the fish. I don’t know what he looks like now, but you’re probably right.

One thing is for certain: He has a better understanding of the English language than Charlie.

10. IdahoMariner - Jun 20, 2011 at 1:34 PM

joe pos did a little “six degrees of jack mckeon” on his twitter feed….

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2883)