Jun 20, 2011, 11:33 AM EDT
It’s official: Jack McKeon has accepted the job as Marlins’ interim manager.
As I said this morning, the McKeon-is-old jokes will grow tired soon. I think the “let’s put Jack McKeon’s age in perspective thing” has some legs, however. Not mocking his age, mind you, just noting his experience in the game and how having an 80-year-old manager sort of warps the general timeline.
Over at The Hardball Times, Chris Jaffe has a good look at all of that. Which makes sense considering he’s a historian. The list goes on and on, but this may be my favorite entry:
McKeon is older than James Dean or Elizabeth Taylor. He’s older than Mikhail Gorbachev or Ted Kennedy. He’s older than Sam Cooke. He’s older than Chuck Noll or Bill Walsh. He’s older than Bud Selig and only 20 weeks younger than George Steinbrenner.
Good stuff. Check it out. And then root for Jack McKeon, because this is pretty cool.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (77)