Jun 20, 2011, 11:33 AM EDT
It’s official: Jack McKeon has accepted the job as Marlins’ interim manager.
As I said this morning, the McKeon-is-old jokes will grow tired soon. I think the “let’s put Jack McKeon’s age in perspective thing” has some legs, however. Not mocking his age, mind you, just noting his experience in the game and how having an 80-year-old manager sort of warps the general timeline.
Over at The Hardball Times, Chris Jaffe has a good look at all of that. Which makes sense considering he’s a historian. The list goes on and on, but this may be my favorite entry:
McKeon is older than James Dean or Elizabeth Taylor. He’s older than Mikhail Gorbachev or Ted Kennedy. He’s older than Sam Cooke. He’s older than Chuck Noll or Bill Walsh. He’s older than Bud Selig and only 20 weeks younger than George Steinbrenner.
Good stuff. Check it out. And then root for Jack McKeon, because this is pretty cool.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 14
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 69
- The Lester trade is a win-win 107
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 161
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 92
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (161)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (122)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (107)