Jun 20, 2011, 11:33 AM EDT
It’s official: Jack McKeon has accepted the job as Marlins’ interim manager.
As I said this morning, the McKeon-is-old jokes will grow tired soon. I think the “let’s put Jack McKeon’s age in perspective thing” has some legs, however. Not mocking his age, mind you, just noting his experience in the game and how having an 80-year-old manager sort of warps the general timeline.
Over at The Hardball Times, Chris Jaffe has a good look at all of that. Which makes sense considering he’s a historian. The list goes on and on, but this may be my favorite entry:
McKeon is older than James Dean or Elizabeth Taylor. He’s older than Mikhail Gorbachev or Ted Kennedy. He’s older than Sam Cooke. He’s older than Chuck Noll or Bill Walsh. He’s older than Bud Selig and only 20 weeks younger than George Steinbrenner.
Good stuff. Check it out. And then root for Jack McKeon, because this is pretty cool.
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 5
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 14
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 40
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)