Jun 20, 2011, 11:33 AM EDT
It’s official: Jack McKeon has accepted the job as Marlins’ interim manager.
As I said this morning, the McKeon-is-old jokes will grow tired soon. I think the “let’s put Jack McKeon’s age in perspective thing” has some legs, however. Not mocking his age, mind you, just noting his experience in the game and how having an 80-year-old manager sort of warps the general timeline.
Over at The Hardball Times, Chris Jaffe has a good look at all of that. Which makes sense considering he’s a historian. The list goes on and on, but this may be my favorite entry:
McKeon is older than James Dean or Elizabeth Taylor. He’s older than Mikhail Gorbachev or Ted Kennedy. He’s older than Sam Cooke. He’s older than Chuck Noll or Bill Walsh. He’s older than Bud Selig and only 20 weeks younger than George Steinbrenner.
Good stuff. Check it out. And then root for Jack McKeon, because this is pretty cool.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)