Jun 20, 2011, 4:45 PM EST
Jack McKeon wasted no time making his presence felt as Edwin Rodriguez’s replacement, as the 80-year-old’s first lineup since returning as Marlins manager doesn’t include Hanley Ramirez.
Ramirez has dealt with back problems for much of the season, but told reporters that he’s healthy and confused by not starting tonight.
McKeon explained to Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald that he benched Ramirez because he “didn’t like the way he was running yesterday” and Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post reports that Ramirez also showed up late to the ballpark.
Whatever the case, not exactly a great start to the McKeon-Ramirez relationship, which is interesting given that Ramirez’s various issues with Fredi Gonzalez led to his firing in mid-2010 following back-to-back winning seasons. This is what the Marlins signed up for and the media members covering the team seem absolutely giddy about the return of McKeon’s brash style, but Ramirez probably isn’t as thrilled right about now.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)