Jun 20, 2011, 1:06 PM EST
UPDATE: Now it’s official, with Shaikin and everyone else reporting that Major League Baseball has, in fact, rejected the Dodgers-Fox deal and that Frank McCourt has, in fact, been notified of it.
So now it’s go-time.
1:06 PM: Um, OK, Bill Shaikin reports that MLB has not notified McCourt of any decision on Fox deal. Shaikin is usually right, but then again, so is Tim Brown, so who the heck knows?
12:56 PM: All that’s left now is for the lawsuit to be filed.
Yahoo!’s Tim Brown reports that Major League Baseball has notified Frank McCourt that it will not approve the Dodgers’ 17-year television deal with Fox. This will (a) put the kibosh on the McCourt’s divorce settlement, which hinged on the deal’s approval; and (b) all but ensure that the Dodgers won’t make their end of the month payroll. When that happens, baseball will likely seize and sell the Dodgers.
The biggest question here: does Frank wait until that happens to sue, or does he sue now, claiming that Major League Baseball interfered with his ability to run his baseball team? My guess is on the latter. My guess is also that he’s had the papers to that effect drawn up for some time.
It’s about to get real in L.A., folks.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 16
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 49
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)