MLB had a huge attendance weekend

Jun 20, 2011, 4:30 PM EDT

old turnstile

Major League Baseball has been suffering from a bit of an attendance decline this year, partially due to the weather, partially due to a wildcat strike by fans against the Dodgers and partially due to unknown causes, be they economic or what have you.  This past weekend, however, was a humdinger at the box office.

In fact, it was the biggest attendance weekend for Major League Baseball — at least for a weekend with 45 scheduled games, meaning no double headers — since September 2008, with 1,646,000 folks buying tickets.  How nice of them to round themselves off to the nearest thousand like that!

Here’s Bud Selig’s quote, which came attached to the press releases:

“Fans coming out in these remarkable numbers demonstrate the popularity of Interleague Play, especially given that many of our intra-city rivalries did not occur this weekend. I remain optimistic that our attendance numbers will continue to climb with summer beginning tomorrow and five of the six Divisions separated by 1.5 games or less.”

Well, there were some rivalry series and series of interest: Orioles-Nats, which drew well, A’s-Giants (ditto), Royals-Cardinals and of course the non-traditional, but quite historical Cubs-Yankees tilts at Wrigley.  But his point does stand, given that stuff like Pirates-Indians drew very well, which is not necessarily expected (the Cleveland-Pittsburgh football thing does not translate to baseball). Whether that’s because of “the popularity of interleague play” or merely because, hey, it was a nice weekend for baseball, is an open question.

But hey, good to see you looking healthier, baseball.

1. kopy - Jun 20, 2011 at 4:38 PM

I would think Father’s Day weekend would have more to do with this than anything, although the weather did seem real nice in most parts of the country… A lot of people taking their dads to games after making them breakfast and giving them a tie and an electric shaver.

• b7p19 - Jun 20, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Great point. I’m going with the Fathers Day thing until/unless I see evidence that other Fathers Days have not drawn at a better than average clip. BTW – avergage of 36,577 and change for those non-rainman folks out there.

• b7p19 - Jun 20, 2011 at 4:46 PM

This brings up a conspiracy theory. Would baseball purposely schedule interleague play on what would seem like an already strong weekend for drawing crowds just so Selig can brag about interleague play? Interesting. (maybe not that interesting).

• natstowngreg - Jun 20, 2011 at 5:46 PM

Interleague play occurs around the same time each season. So the question is, did they purposely set up the interleague play window so it include Fathers’ Day?

Hmmm, there might be something to that. Though my suspicion is that they set up interleague play in June to get it over with before the All-Star break.

2. halladaysbicepts - Jun 20, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Selig quote: ““Fans coming out in these remarkable numbers demonstrate the popularity of Interleague Play, especially given that many of our intra-city rivalries did not occur this weekend.”

1). Interleague play is popular with non-hardcore baseball fans, not purists such as myself. I despise interleague play.

2). Interleague play cheapens the special aurora that surrounds the World Series. It also strengthens my disdain for the DH.

Mr. Selig, I’m glad you are happy with the attendance figures, you money whore. For your next phase, thanks for your realigning the leagues idea and adding more playoff teams to MLB.

Thanks again for doing anything you can do to cheapen the game of baseball further.

• IdahoMariner - Jun 20, 2011 at 5:25 PM

aura. not aurora.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 20, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Thanks for the correction. Typing too fast as usual.

• trevorb06 - Jun 20, 2011 at 5:32 PM

This is bicepts (biceps) we’re talking about here. He isn’t too intelligent remember. :-)

• trevorb06 - Jun 20, 2011 at 5:31 PM

1) You’re a nozzle. (Bigger than Fiorentino?)

2) I’m a hardcore baseball fan and I personally love interleague play. I get a chance to see the Dodgers way up here in Minnesota next week. Not often I can see the boys in blue battling against my Twin’s.

3) How does this cheapen the World Series? Seriously, do you read the crap you write before you hit submit?

Honestly Bicepts, I could have a monkey jump around on my keyboard, take a dump on it and then hit submit and it would be worth more people’s time to read than a lot of the posts you do.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 20, 2011 at 5:40 PM

trevor06,

1). Your a piece of sh*t. Probably because your from Minnesota. You guys wouldn’t know common sense if it hit you in the ass. I think I told you before that your market doesn’t deserve a baseball team to begin with. Minnesota? Who cares about that insignificant little state, anyways.

2). I could care less if you see the Dodgers in person.

3). It cheapens the World Series because part of the special thing about the series is seeing (2) teams that have never played before play for the first time. If you were older than 25, you probably would know what I was talking about instead of shooting your mouth off.

Get a clue, A-hole.

• trevorb06 - Jun 20, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Oh your further my number 1 statement on you (that’s the nozzle statement incase you don’t recall or cannot read).

That’s funny you’re just going to damn a whole state. You’re a laughable, yet sad human being.

I don’t expect you to care about anything. I do know a lot of Minnesotans who really do care to go see a game againsts the Dodgers though and frankly they matter more than you and your pathetic opion do.

That still doesn’t cheapen it. I’m no expert, nor do I have the time to check a schedule, but how many times do the teams in the WS see each other in the regular season? I’d say not often.

Age has nothing to do with it. Do you also support the fired pitching coach who made lued gestures and said kids don’t belong in the ballpark? Wouldn’t surprise me if you do.

You write as if you don’t even have a high school education.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 20, 2011 at 5:56 PM

trevor69self,

If I was commisioner of baseball, I would start contraction immediately. And probably one of the first teams to go would be the Minnesota Twins. I would not only do it because it’s the right thing to do, but would do so just to piss you off.

• spudchukar - Jun 20, 2011 at 6:39 PM

Whatever happened to that new leaf you turned over ‘Cepts?

• trevorb06 - Jun 20, 2011 at 6:50 PM

But that’s just the thing. You’re not the commissioner. Do you know why? Reread 90% of your posts and you’ll probably know why. The underlying reasoning boils down to you being a massive, stupid, idiotic, nozzle. You should turn a new leaf and become a monk. Take that vow of silence and give the world some damn peace.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 20, 2011 at 7:16 PM

trevor69self,

Actually, I was once a Shaloin Monk like Kwai Chang Caine. I used to walk the streets of Minneapolis “correcting” the likes of people like you.

• trevorb06 - Jun 20, 2011 at 10:03 PM

You’d think you’d get the hint.

Good thing you have zero credibility around here. :-D

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 20, 2011 at 10:18 PM

trevor69self,

Zero credibility? I’ve had better baseball conversations on this site in one day than you’ve had in all your time on this site. I forgot more about the game of baseball that you will ever know, kid.

Your a punk that is trying to instigate something. You responded to my original post in this thread calling me an idiot. So, you’ll take your medicine and like it.

You couldn’t out-debate me if I was in a coma.

• trevorb06 - Jun 21, 2011 at 9:31 AM

You’ve already proven my point. All those thumbs down you get should prove my point to you but you’re too thick headed to understand. Enjoy your sad life. I’m done on this thread. :-D

3. sdelmonte - Jun 20, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Everyone loves it when the Mets play their traditional rivals, the Angels. What could be better than the “Number Two Team in a Large Market Series?”

4. dcburden - Jun 20, 2011 at 4:50 PM

I agree Father’s Day has to be considered, but I also think you’ll see a bump any time a visitor comes to town for the first time in a long time.

Saw a whole lotta Detroit jerseys in Denver this weekend . . .

5. yankeesfanlen - Jun 20, 2011 at 4:58 PM

I like the photo of the friendly confines turnstile Seems as if parity was achieved in that it looked like the attendance was half Yankee fans.
    Still think they’re counting people with binoculars on the Sear Skydeck as paid attendance.

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 20, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Did I ever tell you about the time I guessed the attendance in Wrigley BEFORE the multiple choice came up?

6. Senor Cardgage - Jun 20, 2011 at 5:04 PM

It’s weird that he singles out tomorrow as the beginning of summer, as though fans have been anxiously waiting for the solstice to make their serious baseball plans.

• dcburden - Jun 20, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Giving that a thumbs-up primarily for the username.

7. natstowngreg - Jun 20, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Could it be good weather AND interleague play? That is, the naysayers saying it was the weather, and Bud saying it was interleague play, were both wrong.

8. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 20, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Pie and interleague play are equally best of the best.

• Kevin S. - Jun 20, 2011 at 6:17 PM

Pitchers making a mockery of the art of hitting is for the cake-eaters, though.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 21, 2011 at 9:07 AM

No, No, I like pie. Cake is for losers, and lovers of the slugging advantage the DH (who passes off playing baseball with no glove I hear) gives their team.

Because if there’s one thing that never cheapened up the game just to draw more crowds because chicks, and Men with questionable fortitude, love the long ball, it wasn’t the DH, oh nooo, not that……. pfft! ;)

• Kevin S. - Jun 21, 2011 at 10:14 AM

I still have yet to figure out how it cheapens the game to get the worst of the worst fielders off the field and the worst of the worst hitters out of the lineup. Oh, wait, I forgot – “stategy.”

9. Chipmaker - Jun 21, 2011 at 1:01 AM

Interleague play is into its 15th season. Does Selig really need to continue pushing the hard sell?

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet