Jun 20, 2011, 8:31 PM EST
Shaun Marcum‘s status for his next scheduled start is still up in the air.
Marcum, who left Friday’s start against the Red Sox after just one inning with a left hip flexor strain, threw 25 pitches in a bullpen session earlier today, according to Todd Rosiak of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel.
Marcum was cleared to throw after being examined by team physician Dr. William Raasch earlier today, but the Brewers have yet to make a decision about whether he will start Wednesday against the Rays.
“I have my thoughts on what I want to do, but we’ll see what everyone else wants to do before we make a decision,” he said. “I want to pitch, but that’s just me.
“The ball was coming out of my hand well. I didn’t really feel anything, so I feel like it’s only going to get better. It can’t get worse.”
Rosiak reports that Marcum is expected to do some fielding drills tomorrow to see how his hip reacts getting off the mound, so we’ll likely know something more definitive in the next 24 hours. Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said today that Marco Estrada will likely fill in if Marcum is unable to make the start.
Marcum, who was acquired from the Blue Jays for prospect Brett Lawrie last December, is 7-2 with a 2.85 ERA and 84/24 K/BB ratio over his first 15 starts this season.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (123)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)