Jun 20, 2011, 8:31 PM EDT
Shaun Marcum‘s status for his next scheduled start is still up in the air.
Marcum, who left Friday’s start against the Red Sox after just one inning with a left hip flexor strain, threw 25 pitches in a bullpen session earlier today, according to Todd Rosiak of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel.
Marcum was cleared to throw after being examined by team physician Dr. William Raasch earlier today, but the Brewers have yet to make a decision about whether he will start Wednesday against the Rays.
“I have my thoughts on what I want to do, but we’ll see what everyone else wants to do before we make a decision,” he said. “I want to pitch, but that’s just me.
“The ball was coming out of my hand well. I didn’t really feel anything, so I feel like it’s only going to get better. It can’t get worse.”
Rosiak reports that Marcum is expected to do some fielding drills tomorrow to see how his hip reacts getting off the mound, so we’ll likely know something more definitive in the next 24 hours. Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said today that Marco Estrada will likely fill in if Marcum is unable to make the start.
Marcum, who was acquired from the Blue Jays for prospect Brett Lawrie last December, is 7-2 with a 2.85 ERA and 84/24 K/BB ratio over his first 15 starts this season.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 49
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 15
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)