Jun 20, 2011, 8:31 PM EDT
Shaun Marcum‘s status for his next scheduled start is still up in the air.
Marcum, who left Friday’s start against the Red Sox after just one inning with a left hip flexor strain, threw 25 pitches in a bullpen session earlier today, according to Todd Rosiak of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel.
Marcum was cleared to throw after being examined by team physician Dr. William Raasch earlier today, but the Brewers have yet to make a decision about whether he will start Wednesday against the Rays.
“I have my thoughts on what I want to do, but we’ll see what everyone else wants to do before we make a decision,” he said. “I want to pitch, but that’s just me.
“The ball was coming out of my hand well. I didn’t really feel anything, so I feel like it’s only going to get better. It can’t get worse.”
Rosiak reports that Marcum is expected to do some fielding drills tomorrow to see how his hip reacts getting off the mound, so we’ll likely know something more definitive in the next 24 hours. Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said today that Marco Estrada will likely fill in if Marcum is unable to make the start.
Marcum, who was acquired from the Blue Jays for prospect Brett Lawrie last December, is 7-2 with a 2.85 ERA and 84/24 K/BB ratio over his first 15 starts this season.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 75
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 62
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 66
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)