Jun 20, 2011, 1:30 PM EDT
As John Fay reports, Arolids Chapman’s rehab time is up on Tuesday, and at that point the Reds have to decide if they’re going to call him back to Cincy or option him to the minors.
It had been shaping up to be an easy decision until Saturday — keep the man down — but then Chapman had a nice outing, . Is that evidence of things to come, or is it just a blip on what has been an otherwise horrid little eight-outing trip through AAA and AA?
Certainly an effective Chapman would be nice to have back, but if there’s any question about it, I’m not sure I’d take a chance on him in the majors yet. The Reds are basically a middle of the pack bullpen overall on the season, and that was with Chapman’s walk-tastic outings dragging them down some. No, I don’t expect Bill Bray — the lefty who has benefited most from Chapman’s absence — to maintain a 1.59 ERA for the rest of the season, but I’d want to see more than one nice appearance by Chapman before he’s thrown back in the big league pen.
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 50
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 101
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 74
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 73
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 74
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)