Jun 20, 2011, 1:30 PM EST
As John Fay reports, Arolids Chapman’s rehab time is up on Tuesday, and at that point the Reds have to decide if they’re going to call him back to Cincy or option him to the minors.
It had been shaping up to be an easy decision until Saturday — keep the man down — but then Chapman had a nice outing, . Is that evidence of things to come, or is it just a blip on what has been an otherwise horrid little eight-outing trip through AAA and AA?
Certainly an effective Chapman would be nice to have back, but if there’s any question about it, I’m not sure I’d take a chance on him in the majors yet. The Reds are basically a middle of the pack bullpen overall on the season, and that was with Chapman’s walk-tastic outings dragging them down some. No, I don’t expect Bill Bray — the lefty who has benefited most from Chapman’s absence — to maintain a 1.59 ERA for the rest of the season, but I’d want to see more than one nice appearance by Chapman before he’s thrown back in the big league pen.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (127)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)