Jun 20, 2011, 1:30 PM EDT
As John Fay reports, Arolids Chapman’s rehab time is up on Tuesday, and at that point the Reds have to decide if they’re going to call him back to Cincy or option him to the minors.
It had been shaping up to be an easy decision until Saturday — keep the man down — but then Chapman had a nice outing, . Is that evidence of things to come, or is it just a blip on what has been an otherwise horrid little eight-outing trip through AAA and AA?
Certainly an effective Chapman would be nice to have back, but if there’s any question about it, I’m not sure I’d take a chance on him in the majors yet. The Reds are basically a middle of the pack bullpen overall on the season, and that was with Chapman’s walk-tastic outings dragging them down some. No, I don’t expect Bill Bray — the lefty who has benefited most from Chapman’s absence — to maintain a 1.59 ERA for the rest of the season, but I’d want to see more than one nice appearance by Chapman before he’s thrown back in the big league pen.
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 4
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 41
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 29
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 62
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 50
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 80
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 114
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)