Jun 20, 2011, 1:48 PM EDT
I’ll save most of the dorky details and nerdy numbers for my Twins-focused blog, but Minnesota has started to dig out of its huge early hole by recovering from an MLB-worst 17-36 start through May 31 to go 14-3 so far in June.
Run prevention has been the biggest key, as none of the six pitchers to start a game for the Twins this month has an ERA above 3.00 and the bullpen has combined for a 1.81 ERA and .195 opponents’ batting average. Overall the Twins have allowed just 2.5 runs per game in June after finishing May with the worst ERA in the league.
And they’re scoring more runs too, as the lineup has produced a respectable 4.5 runs per game this month after ranking dead last in the league with 3.5 runs per game through two months. Add it all up and you get a team winning 14 of 17 games after winning just 17 of their first 53 games, as Minnesota has cut Cleveland’s lead in the AL Central from 16.5 games to 8.0 games in a little more than two weeks.
They’re still eight games below .500 with the league’s second-worst record, but the Twins are breathing again.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 43
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)