Jun 20, 2011, 7:55 PM EDT
While acknowledging the fine job the Cuban defector was doing at Triple-A Charlotte, White Sox GM Ken Williams said there isn’t currently any place for him on the major league roster.
Manager Ozzie Guillen insisted last week that Juan Pierre was his left fielder and leadoff hitter for as long as he’s on the team, so Williams doesn’t see that there’s any way Viciedo could fit right now, even though Viciedo has hit .330/.372/.538 with 11 homers and 49 RBI in 66 games while playing mostly right field for Charlotte.
I admire the focus, hard work and the thought that he knows he’s put himself in a position to where he’s ready and going to be a major contributor, but also in keeping his focus at the job at hand, and keeping his head and (rear) in Charlotte versus having his head in Chicago. And that’s not easy to do all the time. I admire him for that. But right now we’re going to hold tight. Ozzie likes the team that he’s running out there every day.
Even though that team features a leadoff hitter with a .257/.319/.300 line and nine caught stealings in 19 attempts.
There is a potential solution for Williams: he could just release Pierre to make room for Viciedo in left field. But he’s not ready to take that step yet.
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 1
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 4
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 11
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 47
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)