Jun 20, 2011, 7:55 PM EST
While acknowledging the fine job the Cuban defector was doing at Triple-A Charlotte, White Sox GM Ken Williams said there isn’t currently any place for him on the major league roster.
Manager Ozzie Guillen insisted last week that Juan Pierre was his left fielder and leadoff hitter for as long as he’s on the team, so Williams doesn’t see that there’s any way Viciedo could fit right now, even though Viciedo has hit .330/.372/.538 with 11 homers and 49 RBI in 66 games while playing mostly right field for Charlotte.
I admire the focus, hard work and the thought that he knows he’s put himself in a position to where he’s ready and going to be a major contributor, but also in keeping his focus at the job at hand, and keeping his head and (rear) in Charlotte versus having his head in Chicago. And that’s not easy to do all the time. I admire him for that. But right now we’re going to hold tight. Ozzie likes the team that he’s running out there every day.
Even though that team features a leadoff hitter with a .257/.319/.300 line and nine caught stealings in 19 attempts.
There is a potential solution for Williams: he could just release Pierre to make room for Viciedo in left field. But he’s not ready to take that step yet.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 56
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 37
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (85)