Jun 20, 2011, 7:55 PM EDT
While acknowledging the fine job the Cuban defector was doing at Triple-A Charlotte, White Sox GM Ken Williams said there isn’t currently any place for him on the major league roster.
Manager Ozzie Guillen insisted last week that Juan Pierre was his left fielder and leadoff hitter for as long as he’s on the team, so Williams doesn’t see that there’s any way Viciedo could fit right now, even though Viciedo has hit .330/.372/.538 with 11 homers and 49 RBI in 66 games while playing mostly right field for Charlotte.
I admire the focus, hard work and the thought that he knows he’s put himself in a position to where he’s ready and going to be a major contributor, but also in keeping his focus at the job at hand, and keeping his head and (rear) in Charlotte versus having his head in Chicago. And that’s not easy to do all the time. I admire him for that. But right now we’re going to hold tight. Ozzie likes the team that he’s running out there every day.
Even though that team features a leadoff hitter with a .257/.319/.300 line and nine caught stealings in 19 attempts.
There is a potential solution for Williams: he could just release Pierre to make room for Viciedo in left field. But he’s not ready to take that step yet.
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 33
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 26
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 25
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 131
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 76
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (198)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (131)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)