A.L. All-Star voting update: Bautista continues to pile up the votes

Jun 21, 2011, 3:20 PM EDT

Jose Bautista AP

Not much new in the American League All-Star voting, the tallies for which were just released by Major League Baseball. Jose Bautista is the first player to surpass the four-million mark with 4,156,940 votes.  Bautista continues to be  joined in the outfield by Curtis Granderson and Josh Hamilton, though Jacoby Ellsbury is only a couple hundred thousand votes behind Hamilton.

On the infield, Robinson Cano leads all vote-getters, and is second in overall voting to Bautista.  Derek Jeter inexplicably remains the leader at short, around 400,000 votes in front of Asdrubal Cabrera. A-Rod leads at third.  While the race at first was once close, Adrian Gonzalez has taken a comfortable lead over Mark Teixeira. David Ortiz is the DH.  Russell Martin remains roughly a half million votes ahead of Alex Avila behind the plate.

Voting in ballparks ends this Friday.  Voting online at MLB.com goes until June 30th.  Though to be honest, this looks like it’s going to be the starting slate given the margins at play.

1. largebill - Jun 21, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Other than Jeter, voting isn’t bad this year. I cast 25 ballots for Cabrera each day. Hopefully he’ll close the gap. He’s been getting good press on ESPN this past couple weeks.

• hgulkkcaj - Jun 21, 2011 at 3:35 PM

I’m a Twins fan and I’m still voting for Asdrubal Cabrera every day. That guy is spectacular – most exciting player to watch in baseball.

2. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 21, 2011 at 3:39 PM

I think we all get it…Red Sox and Yankees players tend to dominate these things because they have the most fans. As long as it is all decided by fan voting it will probably continue to be that way. Not singling Craig out here, but how many times do we have to read that Jeter is not having as good a season as Asdubal? It is not a collection of the best players, it is a collection of the players fans want to see most (or more specifically, more of the fans who choose to vote, and who choose to vote in 25 ballot increments).

• Utley's Hair - Jun 21, 2011 at 4:26 PM

I would say they have the most coverage and therefore more household names, not necessarily the most fans. But, aside from that, you’re spot on.

• vintage1496 - Jun 21, 2011 at 4:51 PM

I think sabathia is also correct in stating they have the most fans. Both are routinely leaders in attendance and jersey sales, watch any game the Yankees or Red Sox play in a visitors stadium and there’s a good chance they have more fans than the home team – regardless of location. Add to that the fact that they continue to dominate All-Star voting despite not having the best players, although I suppose that’s really just Jeter in this year’s case.

I think you’d be hard-pressed to find any team with more fans than either NY or Boston, although it’s really more subjective as you can’t “count” fans.

• marshmallowsnake - Jun 21, 2011 at 5:30 PM

I am a Sox fan, and if I vote, I vote for the person having the best year at each position, as they deserve the honor.

• usuomojinga - Jun 21, 2011 at 11:58 PM

Not saying this justifies all the voting, but they also have the best teams.

3. shaggylocks - Jun 21, 2011 at 4:06 PM

Jorge Posada is in third place for DH? Seriously?

4. tuftsb - Jun 21, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Let’s dilute the big market effect by creating an electoral college style system that incorporates overseas votes.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 21, 2011 at 4:34 PM

I would imagine Bud would just prefer that Bud picks everyone, and Bud plays every position for both teams. Bud knows baseball.

5. RickyB - Jun 21, 2011 at 4:56 PM

You want to talk about religion, All-Star voting is another topic along those lines. Some people vote based on what the players have done in the first half, others vote on the biggest names and the players they want to see. Which would go a long way in explaining Jeter leading at shortstop. But with the All-Star game having “meaning” by deciding home-field advantage for the World Series, getting the players that are performing the best this year is probably in each league’s best interest. I am a first-half voter myself, even if it leads to some head-scratchers 5-10 years down the road, like Scott Cooper.

6. yettyskills - Jun 21, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Switch to a NFL style voting
    Fans voting only counts for 33%,
    Players count for 33%
    and the 34% remaining to coaches, Managers and GM’s.

7. mvpolamalu - Jun 21, 2011 at 5:01 PM

THIS IS DUUUMMMB IT SHOULD BE of of ells bury grander son bautista 3b rodriguez 2b cano 1b gonzo ss cabrera c avila

8. royalsfaninfargo - Jun 21, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Just out of curiosity, has any All-Star team had 5 starters from the same team?

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 21, 2011 at 5:19 PM

I don’t think so. This is an imperfect world, unlike my fantasy team.

• bennoj - Jun 21, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Mariners came close in 2001 – 4 starters, 3 pitchers, 1 reserve.

9. curr68 - Jun 21, 2011 at 5:16 PM

This is my All-Star lineup for the American League:

1B – Jose Bautista
    2B – Jose Bautista
    3B – Jose Bautista
    SS – Jose Bautista
    RF – Jose Bautista
    CF – Jose Bautista
    RF – Jose Bautista
    SP – Jose Bautista
    C – Jose Bautista
    DH – Jose Bautista

• cur68 - Jun 21, 2011 at 8:02 PM

Aww shucks, mini-curr, you shouldn’t have. Actually, Jose Bautista has Major League experience at every position except pitcher and catcher. Since he was a pitcher in Dominican Leagues, and he used to have a mid 90′s fastball, he could probably cope with it. Dunno about catcher though.

PS; I hope you got your shower cleaned up.

• royalsfaninfargo - Jun 21, 2011 at 8:36 PM

I need not say it, but i will. You kooky Canucks! :-)

• cur68 - Jun 22, 2011 at 12:02 AM

Yeah royals, we pretty funny. Hope you enjoy Ace Ventura. Just FYI: mini-curr isn’t a Canuck, alas. I do believe he’s a Bostonian. Hence about as funny as duckweed in a drought. Still, the little scamp tries so. I encourage him as much as I can and I make allowances for his ‘illness’ but I fear there is little hope.

You see Wily Mo Pena’s bomb into the fountain @ Kauffman? Ker-splash!

10. vikesfansteve - Jun 21, 2011 at 8:19 PM

Russell Martin & his .238 average leading the catchers votes.

All Yankees infield & center field. Enough of the ballet box stuffing.

It should be like the NFL where fans votes are 1/3.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet