Jun 21, 2011, 2:41 AM EDT
Unfortunately for the Atlanta Braves, that’s not going to happen soon.
David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that Prado is “not close to being ready,” and that the Braves have not been given a projected date for his return.
He is eligible to return from the 15-day disabled list on Thursday, but is not close to being ready. Incisions are left open to heal after surgery for staph-infection removal, and Prado won’t be cleared to begin physical activity using his legs until the wound is closed.
Prado said recovery has been difficult, and that the pain “was brutal.” He spent the first week after surgery in bed with his leg elevated, and received antibiotics intravenously for four days.
Prado was an All-Star in 2010 when he hit .307 with 15 home runs and an .809 OPS. He’s hitting .277 with 8 home runs and 33 RBIs in 61 games this season.
The Braves are 12th in the NL in runs scored, but are the current NL wild-card leader at 41-33 thanks to a pitching staff that is allowing just 3.4 runs per game, second in the league.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 3
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 20
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 217
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (217)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)