Jun 21, 2011, 2:41 AM EST
Unfortunately for the Atlanta Braves, that’s not going to happen soon.
David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that Prado is “not close to being ready,” and that the Braves have not been given a projected date for his return.
He is eligible to return from the 15-day disabled list on Thursday, but is not close to being ready. Incisions are left open to heal after surgery for staph-infection removal, and Prado won’t be cleared to begin physical activity using his legs until the wound is closed.
Prado said recovery has been difficult, and that the pain “was brutal.” He spent the first week after surgery in bed with his leg elevated, and received antibiotics intravenously for four days.
Prado was an All-Star in 2010 when he hit .307 with 15 home runs and an .809 OPS. He’s hitting .277 with 8 home runs and 33 RBIs in 61 games this season.
The Braves are 12th in the NL in runs scored, but are the current NL wild-card leader at 41-33 thanks to a pitching staff that is allowing just 3.4 runs per game, second in the league.
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 77
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 41
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (86)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)