Cardinals call up Mark Hamilton to help replace Albert Pujols

Jun 21, 2011, 2:46 PM EDT

St Louis Cardinals v Washington Nationals Getty Images

It remains to be seen how manager Tony La Russa will actually choose to replace Albert Pujols in the lineup, but he’ll at least have the option of using Mark Hamilton after the Cardinals called the 26-year-old first baseman up from Triple-A today.

Hamilton has struggled previously in a couple brief stints with the Cardinals, but was hitting .385 with more walks (23) than strikeouts (14) in 27 games at Triple-A after batting .298 with 18 homers and a .974 OPS in 72 games there last season.

He’s old for a prospect and doesn’t project as a star, but Hamilton is a solid left-handed bat with some power and plate discipline. He can’t replace Pujols, but if La Russa uses Hamilton as a platoon starter versus primarily right-handed pitchers he can be productive for the next six weeks.

1. jeffhink - Jun 21, 2011 at 2:57 PM

Roy Halladay and Cliff Lee must be horrified.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 21, 2011 at 3:05 PM

Yeah. I hear they are shaking in their boots to face such a formidable hitter.

I think the Cards would have been better off calling up Mark Hamill. I hear he has some “Force” that helps him or something like that.

• spudchukar - Jun 21, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Jason Vargas just tossed a 3-hit shutout at your resurgent sluggers. That would certainly tame my bombast, and give me pause before I belittled future opponents.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 21, 2011 at 4:04 PM

spuds,

Roy Halladay, Cliff Lee and Roy Oswalt are pitching against the Cards this series. I guarantee that the Phillies will wipe the floor with them, winning a minimum of 2 out of 3. The Phils bats will come alive again. And you can take that to the bank.

Pause? The Bicepts doesn’t know the definition of that word.

• spudchukar - Jun 21, 2011 at 4:19 PM

They are the things you, in particular, put your shoes over.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 21, 2011 at 4:22 PM

spuds,

A little too cryptic for me. Who do you think you are, the Riddler?

• jeffhink - Jun 21, 2011 at 5:22 PM

Last I heard we don’t count on Halladay and Lee to get hits. I think you confused sluggers and pitchers.

• richardpauldavis - Nov 22, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Hey Bicepts, how’d that guarantee of the “wiping of the floor” work out for you? Goodluck this offseason.

2. talbaugh - Jun 21, 2011 at 3:01 PM

hard to use hamilton has a LH platoon player because the two players who will replace pujols – berkman and jay – are LH (jay) or better as LH (berkman)

3. Elwood Larf - Jun 21, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Whenever I hear this guy’s name, I will think of Luke Skywalker.

• Justin - Jun 21, 2011 at 3:56 PM

I wonder if this Mark Hamilton will have 3 good games and then fade into obscurity.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 21, 2011 at 4:06 PM

Not against Halladay, Lee and Oswalt he won’t. They will treat Hamill like Vader did in the Empire Strikes Back.

• Justin - Jun 21, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Nice. So would that make the Cubs the Ewoks in Return of the Jedi? Who am I kidding the Ewoks won and we all know the Cubs never will. Bad analogy.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 21, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Yeah, Justin. And Carlos Zambrano is like that Ewok that always causing trouble for the rebels. I think that Ewok’s name was Wicket or something like that.

• scatterbrian - Jun 21, 2011 at 4:44 PM

I just watched Return of the Jedi the other night, and I so wish they replaced Ewoks with Wookiees. Watching armored Stormtroopers being taken down by sticks and stones is a farce.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 21, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Yeah, I heard that Lucas originally was going to do the movie on the Wookie homeworld, but he wanted to lighten up a portion of the movie because the mood of the rest of the movie was dark, so he chose those damn Ewoks.

Yeah, we know that a few imperial walkers would have taken out their whole village with no problem.

4. spudchukar - Jun 21, 2011 at 3:47 PM

To suggest Hamilton has plate discipline, is an understatement. He could be compared to Karen Carpenter. To date, there has been nothing crossing his plate that he has offered at. He may indeed be the first hitter with an Anorexic problem.

5. cintiphil - Jun 21, 2011 at 4:04 PM

I think this is the beginning of the end of this season for the redbirds. No matter how they spin it, no one can fill this guy’s shoes. Of course, the Reds won’t cry about it.

6. scatterbrian - Jun 21, 2011 at 4:37 PM

All right Hamilton!

7. noxplode22 - Jun 21, 2011 at 4:57 PM

i don’t understand how you all think pujols being hurt completely wipes the chances of the cardinals not winning. If you know anything he really hasn’t been a huge impact, he started to get goin and i feel bad for him that he has this setback but Albert will return and pitchers will pay. As a huge cardinal fan i wish he wasn’t hurt but, come on, they have found ways to score all season. The cardinals took both games earlier against oswalt and lee. Please. Matt Holiday is, in my opinion, one of the best hitters in the game. Wait. You will all see. “Listen to cardinal nation.”

• jeffhink - Jun 21, 2011 at 5:31 PM

I don’t see the Cards falling out of contention because of this injury, but losing Pujols – even in a down year – is going to impact every guy in the lineup. Holiday or Berkman will move up to hit third and, while those guys are good hitters, neither worries the opposing pitcher like Pujols does. It also really hurts the power level for the team as Berkman and Holliday are the only guys slugging over .500

• cintiphil - Jun 22, 2011 at 7:13 PM

Because of all the other adjustments the team must make. You no longer have a guy to pitch around, no matter what he has done so far. You also have more pressure on Berkman and Holiday to deliver, and that must take a toll. Even though these are pros, there will be an effect on the team morale which can not be measured until after the season, which will be a long one for the Cards.

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3736)