Help set a world record with the Texas Rangers

Jun 21, 2011, 12:51 PM EDT

Corey Hart Sunglasses at night

Look, this isn’t a top shelf record like “fattest twins” or “most cigarettes smoked at one time” — and Robert Wadlow has nothing to worry about — but a place in the Guinness Book is a place in the Guinness Book:

Seventeen years after the Canadian singer released his hit song “Sunglasses at Night,” the Rangers are making an ’80s stylish attempt at getting into the Guinness Book of World Records on Tuesday night.  Fans attending Tuesday’s game against the Houston Astros will be asked to don sunglasses at the end of the sixth inning and wear them for 10 minutes in an attempt to set a world record for the “Most People Wearing Sunglasses … in the Dark.”

Look, it’s the Astros in town. They can be excused for trying to drum up some outside interest in the game, OK?

1. halladaysbicepts - Jun 21, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Isn’t Corey Hart six feet under? Or was that Corey Haim? I guess it isn’t that important.

Sunglasses at Night? Worse 80’s song ever. “Look at me, I’m cool! I wear my sunglasses at night so I can see.” Who did Corey Hart think he was, Stevie Wonder or something…

2. yankeesgameday - Jun 21, 2011 at 12:57 PM

I’ll do it if they play the song, follow it up with “never surrender” and then, since there are no other Corey hart songs, round out the ten minutes with “sister Christian” while everyone does that stupid after thing.

• yankeesgameday - Jun 21, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Antler

3. mattraw - Jun 21, 2011 at 12:59 PM

How is this not a Brewers promotion?

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 21, 2011 at 1:03 PM

Indeed

• marshmallowsnake - Jun 21, 2011 at 1:24 PM

I think that the Brewers should play this as Corey’s walk-up or HR celebration music :)

• b7p19 - Jun 21, 2011 at 1:35 PM

I can’t believe I haven’t thought of this. Def needs to be his walkup music.

• atlsp - Jun 21, 2011 at 2:33 PM

The Braves organist always plays it for Hart’s walkup music when the Brewers visit Turner Field.

4. deathmonkey41 - Jun 21, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Just more reason to hate the Texas Rangers…as if the stupid antlers thing wasn’t enough.

5. aceshigh11 - Jun 21, 2011 at 1:17 PM

“Seventeen years after the Canadian singer released his hit song…”

17 years? That would put the release of his so-called ’80s hit squarely in the middle of the ’90s.

Wow…Corey Hart is more talented than I thought. Eat your heart out, Marty McFly.

• IdahoMariner - Jun 21, 2011 at 1:37 PM

that’s kind of what I was thinking…since it came out in 1984, the year I graduated from high school. So I am REALLY looking forward to my 20th reunion? Awesome. I’ll take a little turn-back-the-clock wherever I can get it.

6. marshmallowsnake - Jun 21, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Yeah, good research by the article’s author…basic math is a forgone skill I guess…2011-1984 = 27

• yettyskills - Jun 21, 2011 at 3:22 PM

Sigh, I felt better when it was 17 years…not 27.

Bought my 1st tapes with my own money in 1984
      Van Halen 1984
      &
      Tina Turner – Private Dancer
      True story

• raysfan1 - Jun 21, 2011 at 7:19 PM

Of course, it COULD have something to do with the fact he types up 15-20 articles a day, has no secretary or proofreader, and the “1” key is immediately adjacent to the “2” key…ie, a phenomenon known as a “typo”–kind of like mistakenly typing “forgone” instead of “foregone” in your own posting.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 21, 2011 at 11:07 PM

Hey, raysfan, he was referring to the guy writing the original article for ESPN, not Craig. He also spelled out seventeen, and not 17.

• raysfan1 - Jun 22, 2011 at 12:35 AM

Hmm, guess I’m the dummy. Oh well, not the first time. Maybe I should try to learn how to read.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 22, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Meh…we all make mistakes, right?

• marshmallowsnake - Jun 22, 2011 at 4:02 PM

Right Rays fan…but I am not getting paid to write comments and journalism is not my profession…therefore, I am allowed to make mistakes, just like you are allowed to be a moron.

• raysfan1 - Jun 22, 2011 at 7:24 PM

I suppose I could have gone the non-snarky route in my first entry and just said something like “It was likely just a mistake, like we all make.” However, that would have been much less fun for me.

Utley’s Hair pointed out my own gaffe’s, which I acknowledged in my second entry, and thought it was pretty funny really.

Sad that you seem so humor-challenged and feel the need to devolve to personal insults. I do appreciate your granting me permission to be intellectually handicapped, though–thanks!

• marshmallowsnake - Jun 23, 2011 at 11:56 AM

My bad…I COULD not tell the humor in the fact that you were making fun of the fact that I left out a letter in my post…but it COULD just be my lack of humor as you say…but, I COULD be wrong…

• raysfan1 - Jun 23, 2011 at 6:10 PM

My view:
        -Having a (minor) typo in your post while calling out the author for making a mistake was at least a little funny.
        -My response was snarky. I admit to being something of a smart-aleck sometimes, and not everyone sees that as funny. I’ll try to take that into account should I ever follow-up on one of your posts in the future.
        -My response itself had two errors–both more significant than your typo. Utley’s Hair called me on it. My errors under the circumstance of calling you out was very funny.
        -My response to Utley’s Hair was an admission of my errors, in what I felt to be self-deprecating fashion (and itself at least a little funny).
        -My last post above concluded with another smart-alecky comment, which I will again endeavour to avoid with you; but it too was at least funny in my world.

So, yeah, I’m still thinking you’re taking this all a lot more seriously than I ever intended. As for where to go from here–you can think I’m a jerk or a moron or whatever, or you can laugh the whole thing off as the silliness that this entire thread is–or any combination you wish. Any of the above is okay with me. I bid you adieu.

• marshmallowsnake - Jun 23, 2011 at 7:35 PM

Water under the bridge. It is hard to tell sarcasm over the net. I say we leave it at that and offer each other the mutual respect that we both deserve. Thanks for being honest, and I will note that you are trying to be funny from here on.

And yes…the type-o I had, while pointing out bad research, was ironic…but at least I got the facts right…now the author on the other hand…

• raysfan1 - Jun 23, 2011 at 11:41 PM

Agreed.

7. kander013 - Jun 21, 2011 at 1:53 PM

A wise man once told me there are only two kinds of people that wear sunglasses inside. Blind people and a**holes…

I’d contend that you could throw at night in there too.

• aceshigh11 - Jun 21, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Jack Nicholson and Keith Richards are really the only two guys who can get away with it.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 21, 2011 at 2:04 PM

I was going to say Bono, but they really aren’t sunglasses, per se. And Keith Richards is just trying to minimize the dead rumors.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 21, 2011 at 2:05 PM

Pro poker players?

• cur68 - Jun 21, 2011 at 3:09 PM

My old man has to wear his @ night; he’s not blind but he just had cataract surgery and lens replacement. Mom’s taken to calling him “Stevie” and “The Wonder”. That’s all I got to do with this thread, except to say; you can keep Corey F%^king Hart along with F*&King Bieber, amen.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 21, 2011 at 3:16 PM

I don’t know about Canadia, but I think doing that to Bieber would be illegal down here in the States.

• cur68 - Jun 21, 2011 at 7:22 PM

I saw Deliverance. I know what you guys get up to.

8. royalsfaninfargo - Jun 21, 2011 at 2:41 PM

To mock the awesomeness of Corey Hart in the 80’s is to temp death in more ways then one can count. Wearing sunglasses at night is important because, in the immortal words of Fisher Stevens in the acclaimed movie “My Science Project”, “When youre cool, the suns shines on you 24 hours a day!”

9. Jonny 5 - Jun 21, 2011 at 3:41 PM

Dudes! This is NOT music. Not anymore than this is anyway.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 21, 2011 at 3:45 PM

See, not music.

10. feartherallythong - Jun 21, 2011 at 6:04 PM

Glad to see the Robert Wadlow drop – it means that I was not the ONLY kid in the 70’s or 80’s who memorized the Guinness Book of World Records…

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey