Joe Maddon apologizes for Monday’s shenanigans with Sam Fuld

Jun 21, 2011, 8:15 PM EST

Tampa Bay Rays v Milwaukee Brewers Getty Images

You knew this was coming.

According to Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times, Rays manager Joe Maddon apologized to the umpiring crew earlier today for the confusion during last night’s game against the Brewers.

For those unfamiliar, Sam Fuld — who pinch-hit for J.P. Howell in the top of the eighth inning — came out to warm up on the mound in the bottom of the inning. However, he was eventually pulled for Cesar Ramos without throwing a pitch. The only reason Maddon was able to get away with it was because home plate umpire Bob Davidson was told (or was at least under the impression) that Fuld was injured.

“I wasn’t trying to get away with anything,” he said. “I was not aware of that, I was not clear on that. That is my fault, nobody’s elses.”

“I think it was a total miscommunication, I never said anything about an injury,” Maddon said.

Maddon got the nudge after receiving a phone call from MLB’s VP of Operations Joe Torre earlier today. According to the Associated Press, Ron Roenicke had no dispute with the pitching change in question, though it’s worth noting that he was ejected along with hitting coach Dale Sveum two innings earlier. It’s fair to say this umpiring crew isn’t very popular in Milwaukee tonight.

1. royalsfaninfargo - Jun 21, 2011 at 8:44 PM

So either Maddon is full of sh@t or Torre made him apologize.

• bradwins - Jun 22, 2011 at 12:00 PM

It couldn’t be both? I’m not sure I get why those two options are mutually exclusive.

2. drmonkeyarmy - Jun 21, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Let me get this straight: Maddon used the OF Fuld to pinch hit for the pitcher. Then Fuld went to the mound to warm up like he was going to pitch?

• D.J. Short - Jun 21, 2011 at 9:01 PM

Yes. That’s it.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 21, 2011 at 9:10 PM

I don’t understand why he would send Fuld out to the mound. This situation is perplexing. Was any explanation offered as to why he would do this?

• D.J. Short - Jun 21, 2011 at 9:17 PM

He wanted Ramos. Ramos wasn’t ready. Pure stall tactic.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 21, 2011 at 9:24 PM

Huh. Interesting. That is, indeed, some shenanigans then. He should be fined.

• bradwins - Jun 22, 2011 at 12:01 PM

I guess they could fine him, but the umpires let him get away with it. He always could have just thrown one pitch a couple feet out of the strike zone and then replaced him. Then it would be completely legal shenanigans.

• randomdigits - Jun 22, 2011 at 2:18 PM

How could the Umps have stopped it from happening? They were told the player was hurt. Can’t make an “injured” pitcher throw a pitch.

Maddon was just being bush.

3. ufullpj - Jun 21, 2011 at 9:47 PM

Bob Davidson demonstrated, once again, why he is baseball’s worst umpire and biggest dick umpire…all in one night. He’s such an egocentric tool. And now we know that he’s also lazy, incompetent, and ignorant to the rules of the game. Not a good combination, but yet MLB refuses to address his performance. When attending games with kids is running well into the triple digits, I can promise it’s not to go see the umpire.

• shaggytoodle - Jun 21, 2011 at 11:15 PM

I totally agree that was some terrible work by him, starting with the whole Morgan being HBP.

I understand that the Brewers did lose by quite a bit, but to have a lead off guy (morgan) and Hart single after that, he changed the game and its a shame. From what I heard when the crew chief explained it to some reporters he said Davidson said “his arm was bad, or something like that,” why couldn’t he have been the umpire to take a foul into the seeds instead of that ump vs. the Cubs..

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4732)