Jun 21, 2011, 8:15 PM EDT
You knew this was coming.
According to Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times, Rays manager Joe Maddon apologized to the umpiring crew earlier today for the confusion during last night’s game against the Brewers.
For those unfamiliar, Sam Fuld — who pinch-hit for J.P. Howell in the top of the eighth inning — came out to warm up on the mound in the bottom of the inning. However, he was eventually pulled for Cesar Ramos without throwing a pitch. The only reason Maddon was able to get away with it was because home plate umpire Bob Davidson was told (or was at least under the impression) that Fuld was injured.
“I wasn’t trying to get away with anything,” he said. “I was not aware of that, I was not clear on that. That is my fault, nobody’s elses.”
“I think it was a total miscommunication, I never said anything about an injury,” Maddon said.
Maddon got the nudge after receiving a phone call from MLB’s VP of Operations Joe Torre earlier today. According to the Associated Press, Ron Roenicke had no dispute with the pitching change in question, though it’s worth noting that he was ejected along with hitting coach Dale Sveum two innings earlier. It’s fair to say this umpiring crew isn’t very popular in Milwaukee tonight.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 13
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 77
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 113
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (113)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)