Jun 21, 2011, 8:15 PM EDT
You knew this was coming.
According to Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times, Rays manager Joe Maddon apologized to the umpiring crew earlier today for the confusion during last night’s game against the Brewers.
For those unfamiliar, Sam Fuld — who pinch-hit for J.P. Howell in the top of the eighth inning — came out to warm up on the mound in the bottom of the inning. However, he was eventually pulled for Cesar Ramos without throwing a pitch. The only reason Maddon was able to get away with it was because home plate umpire Bob Davidson was told (or was at least under the impression) that Fuld was injured.
“I wasn’t trying to get away with anything,” he said. “I was not aware of that, I was not clear on that. That is my fault, nobody’s elses.”
“I think it was a total miscommunication, I never said anything about an injury,” Maddon said.
Maddon got the nudge after receiving a phone call from MLB’s VP of Operations Joe Torre earlier today. According to the Associated Press, Ron Roenicke had no dispute with the pitching change in question, though it’s worth noting that he was ejected along with hitting coach Dale Sveum two innings earlier. It’s fair to say this umpiring crew isn’t very popular in Milwaukee tonight.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (127)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (100)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)