Jun 21, 2011, 6:28 PM EST
The Red Sox scratched Josh Beckett from his scheduled start Tuesday against the Padres with what manager Terry Francona called “intestinal turmoil.”
Alfredo Aceves will start in his place tonight.
“He actually looks just OK,” Francona said. “l’m glad we [pushed him back]. I think it was neccessary what we did. He didn’t look that good. What we’re hoping for, tentatively, is he’ll pitch Saturday. Because of some of the versatility of guys like Aceves, adding [Andrew] Miller and [Tim Wakefield], we can get around it, especially with an off day.”
That off day comes Thursday. The Red Sox now intend to start Jon Lester, Beckett and Tim Wakefield in the weekend series against the Pirates. Andrew Miller will be on seven days’ rest when he faces the Phillies on Tuesday.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)