Jun 21, 2011, 6:28 PM EDT
The Red Sox scratched Josh Beckett from his scheduled start Tuesday against the Padres with what manager Terry Francona called “intestinal turmoil.”
Alfredo Aceves will start in his place tonight.
“He actually looks just OK,” Francona said. “l’m glad we [pushed him back]. I think it was neccessary what we did. He didn’t look that good. What we’re hoping for, tentatively, is he’ll pitch Saturday. Because of some of the versatility of guys like Aceves, adding [Andrew] Miller and [Tim Wakefield], we can get around it, especially with an off day.”
That off day comes Thursday. The Red Sox now intend to start Jon Lester, Beckett and Tim Wakefield in the weekend series against the Pirates. Andrew Miller will be on seven days’ rest when he faces the Phillies on Tuesday.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (124)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (116)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (82)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona