Jun 21, 2011, 6:28 PM EST
The Red Sox scratched Josh Beckett from his scheduled start Tuesday against the Padres with what manager Terry Francona called “intestinal turmoil.”
Alfredo Aceves will start in his place tonight.
“He actually looks just OK,” Francona said. “l’m glad we [pushed him back]. I think it was neccessary what we did. He didn’t look that good. What we’re hoping for, tentatively, is he’ll pitch Saturday. Because of some of the versatility of guys like Aceves, adding [Andrew] Miller and [Tim Wakefield], we can get around it, especially with an off day.”
That off day comes Thursday. The Red Sox now intend to start Jon Lester, Beckett and Tim Wakefield in the weekend series against the Pirates. Andrew Miller will be on seven days’ rest when he faces the Phillies on Tuesday.
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 30
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 79
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 120
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 36
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 68
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (120)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (104)