Jun 21, 2011, 6:28 PM EDT
The Red Sox scratched Josh Beckett from his scheduled start Tuesday against the Padres with what manager Terry Francona called “intestinal turmoil.”
Alfredo Aceves will start in his place tonight.
“He actually looks just OK,” Francona said. “l’m glad we [pushed him back]. I think it was neccessary what we did. He didn’t look that good. What we’re hoping for, tentatively, is he’ll pitch Saturday. Because of some of the versatility of guys like Aceves, adding [Andrew] Miller and [Tim Wakefield], we can get around it, especially with an off day.”
That off day comes Thursday. The Red Sox now intend to start Jon Lester, Beckett and Tim Wakefield in the weekend series against the Pirates. Andrew Miller will be on seven days’ rest when he faces the Phillies on Tuesday.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (108)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)