Jun 21, 2011, 6:28 PM EDT
The Red Sox scratched Josh Beckett from his scheduled start Tuesday against the Padres with what manager Terry Francona called “intestinal turmoil.”
Alfredo Aceves will start in his place tonight.
“He actually looks just OK,” Francona said. “l’m glad we [pushed him back]. I think it was neccessary what we did. He didn’t look that good. What we’re hoping for, tentatively, is he’ll pitch Saturday. Because of some of the versatility of guys like Aceves, adding [Andrew] Miller and [Tim Wakefield], we can get around it, especially with an off day.”
That off day comes Thursday. The Red Sox now intend to start Jon Lester, Beckett and Tim Wakefield in the weekend series against the Pirates. Andrew Miller will be on seven days’ rest when he faces the Phillies on Tuesday.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 12
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 157
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 29
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39