Logan Morrison ripped Hanley Ramirez in front of teammates

Jun 21, 2011, 6:51 PM EDT

Hanley Ramirez, Logan Morrison AP

That according to the Miami Herald’s Clark Spencer.

When Hanley Ramirez was late to appear for new manager Jack McKeon’s pregame meeting Monday, Logan Morrison blasted him in front of teammates, telling the shortstop that his tardiness is one reason he’s struggled all season.

Morrison declined to discuss the confrontation Tuesday, saying “”I’d rather have what happened in the clubhouse stay in the clubhouse.”

Ramirez, for what it’s worth, said he didn’t know about the meeting, which was scheduled for 3:30 in the afternoon.  Marlins players typically have until 4:30 to show up for a night game.

“I wasn’t late yesterday,” Ramirez said. “Stretch is at 4:30 and I was here before 4:30, so I wasn’t late. I wasn’t late, and I agree with whatever he (McKeon) does. Some guys, they come in early. They come in at 3. I come in at 3:30 every day.”

Except yesterday, apparently.

Ramirez did have a bit more to say today, and he seemed pretty happy about seeing his name in the cleanup spot in the Marlins’ lineup.  Asked why he’s struggled all season long, he said:

My timing, I can’t find it. My hands, I don’t know. Everyday you try something new. You just got to go back and sit down and try to find out what you’ve been doing wrong I’ve been trying to do that but I can’t find it. So I just got keep fighting everyday.

1. drmonkeyarmy - Jun 21, 2011 at 6:58 PM

While Hanley should be called out, Morrison is not the one who should be doing it. That clown just loves to run his mouth. That guy always seems to be in the news rounds. Logan, shut the hell up and play baseball….learn how to play defense and focus on trying to win a game. Leave the “calling out teammates” to a veteran. As bizarre as this may sound and it is shocking that I am going to say it…but Wes Helms and Greg Dobbs should be leading the youngsters, not some guy who tweets nonsense all the time. Dobbs and Helms might not be great or even good but they are veterans and have experienced winning.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 21, 2011 at 7:10 PM

So Dobbs should whack him upside the head with his World Series and NLCS rings?

• shawnuel - Jun 21, 2011 at 7:39 PM

Yes….cause he certainly couldn’t do much damage with his bat.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 21, 2011 at 8:13 PM

Dobbs is actually having a good season. I know that is a borderline miracle.

• nps6724 - Jun 21, 2011 at 7:47 PM

Yeah, who does that rookie think he is?? Rookies aren’t allowed to be leaders!! Only old backups can effectively lead!!

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 21, 2011 at 8:12 PM

Yeah, guys who know what it takes to win. Not loud mouth rookies. Sounds about right to me.

• nps6724 - Jun 21, 2011 at 8:37 PM

What exactly have either won? Sure Dobbs has a ring, but I imagine Dobbs and his -0.2 WAR had less to do with that than the rest of the team.

In fact, for their careers Helms has a -2.2 WAR and Dobbs has a -1.3.

What winners.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 21, 2011 at 8:44 PM

Their WAR has nothing to do with anything. Leaders are often not the best players on the club. They are grizzled veterans who have been apart of winning.

• nps6724 - Jun 21, 2011 at 8:47 PM

Again, what have they won? Only Dobbs has a ring and it wasn’t because of him. I highly doubt Rollins, Howard, Utley, Ibanez, Werth, Victorino, Ruiz, Hamels, Moyer, Myers, Lidge, and Durbin needed Dobbs’ leadership to win the World Series.

Both are solid veterans to have on any team, but neither should EVER be your primary leader. If your primary leader is a bench player, your team has issues.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 21, 2011 at 8:55 PM

That is nonsense. First of all, without contributions from Dobbs the Phillies probably don’t win the division in 2008. Second of all, why can’t your clubhouse leader be a bench player?

• nps6724 - Jun 21, 2011 at 9:03 PM

Considering he had a (slightly) negative WAR, by definition any replacement-level player could’ve been in his position and helped the team win the division. Even if you eliminate his defensive liability, he only contributed 1 win of value offensively.

You need a leader to be on the field everyday. And I bet if you asked the Phillies, the names Rollins, Utley, and/or Howard would show up on a list of leaders. I can’t think of a single good team that had or have their top leader on the bench.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 21, 2011 at 9:14 PM

Are you a Phillies fan? I don’t care what the WAR says, I watched around 140 regular season games that season and without Dobbs they don’t win the division. That is not the point, however. I believe a bench player can be an good leader for a team, you do not. Nothing that is said will change either of our minds so it is best to leave it at that. To piggyback off your argument though. If a rookie is the clubhouse leader of a team, then they have serious, serious issues.

• nps6724 - Jun 21, 2011 at 9:28 PM

The difference is a rookie can also be one of the best players on the team. How many bench players can say the same?

It’s just difficult to lead when you aren’t directly involved in the game everyday. There’s a reason most team’s leaders is usually one of the best players on the team (or at least was in their prime). Young guys are more likely to listen to an actual star than a guy with less talent than themselves.

If bench players can be just as capable leaders as starters, where are all these great leaders on the bench? And why do teams let them go so easily?

Guys like Helms and Dobbs are like Randy Couture in The Expendables: grizzled old vets who will be solid team players and who do things the right way. But everyone still looks to and listens to Stallone.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 21, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Listen man, like I said we disagree. Leave it at that. You are not going to change my viewpoint. Likewise, I will not change yours. You are equating being good to being a leader. If that is your viewpoint, that is cool. It is not mine at all. Just leave it be.

• bennyblanco1 - Jun 22, 2011 at 8:58 AM

NPS is right. Being a leader has nothing to do with age. People lead by example and if the clubhouse follows Morrison, they he can say whatever he wants.

2. addictedzone - Jun 21, 2011 at 10:19 PM

“I can’t think of a single good team that had or have their top leader on the bench.”

Down the stretch in 1997…Darren Daulton for the Florida Marlins

3. stevesuhyunkim - Jun 22, 2011 at 3:18 AM

just because Morrison is a rookie, it doesn’t mean he can’t speak out.
    he spoke out and protected Scott Cousins when Sabean blasted him for colliding with Posey.
    he spoke out for their fired batting coach, saying that the players were responsible as well for the continued team slump.
    just because he tweets weird things and just because he isn’t a veteran, it doesn’t mean his rights for speaking to the team should be revoked.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 22, 2011 at 9:37 AM

He can say or do whatever he wants. All I am saying is that your clubhouse leader should be a veteran not a rookie. If that guy is the one calling out Hanley then the Marlins are in more trouble then I thought.

• 5thbase - Jun 22, 2011 at 1:02 PM

You can say “should” all you want, but that doesn’t change the reality of the team. Their horrible owner doesn’t keep any good players past arbitration, thus they don’t have any of the guys who “should” be leaders. They are a bunch of young guys or rejects from the scrap heap with a self infatuated shortstop mixed in. I used to be a Hanley fan when I thought it was just youthful ignorance but at a certain point the guy has to grow up. He “should” be the team’s leader but he has a loser personality.

While I don’t think the rookie should be popping off so much, at least someone on the team is pissed off about having the team suck and has enough fire to care.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 22, 2011 at 2:40 PM

I stand by my statement that they have Dobbs and particularly Helms.

• stevesuhyunkim - Jun 23, 2011 at 1:01 AM

the fact is that Helms and Dobbs aren’t doing what they should be doing.
        if they were, Morrison wouldn’t have to stand up, would he?

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3683)