Jun 21, 2011, 8:25 AM EDT
After a day in which the Dodgers mess got messier, word seeps out that Frank McCourt is mulling — had mulled? will mull? — selling a minority stake in the team in order to infuse the organization with cash and preserve his place in the ownership chair.
Of course this is all too little too late. It took the Mets months to pull this off and they had a unanimity in ownership and no court interference as they identified and courted an investor. Frank McCourt has nine days until the check comes due and even if a magical fairy floated down from the treetops tomorrow with a briefcase full of cash, any sale of a minority stake in the team would have to go through Jamie and a divorce court and through Bud Selig who is obviously not inclined to do McCourt any favors. Oh: and given how leveraged McCourt and the Dodgers are, how much cash could a sale of a stake of the team truly bring him? The balance sheet is an utter train wreck.
So, nope, this isn’t happening. At least not in any kind of time frame that will help McCourt. It’s either lose the team or litigate at this point. Or both.
Oh, and don’t think for a minute Bud isn’t watching you, Frank. He’s got his eye on you buddy …
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Andrew McCutchen departs game versus Cardinals after aggravating injured left rib cage 2
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 12
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 14
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Report: Cubs calling up top prospect outfielder Jorge Soler 40
- Shin-Soo Choo to undergo season-ending bone spur surgery on elbow 13
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (142)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (89)