Jun 21, 2011, 8:25 AM EDT
After a day in which the Dodgers mess got messier, word seeps out that Frank McCourt is mulling — had mulled? will mull? — selling a minority stake in the team in order to infuse the organization with cash and preserve his place in the ownership chair.
Of course this is all too little too late. It took the Mets months to pull this off and they had a unanimity in ownership and no court interference as they identified and courted an investor. Frank McCourt has nine days until the check comes due and even if a magical fairy floated down from the treetops tomorrow with a briefcase full of cash, any sale of a minority stake in the team would have to go through Jamie and a divorce court and through Bud Selig who is obviously not inclined to do McCourt any favors. Oh: and given how leveraged McCourt and the Dodgers are, how much cash could a sale of a stake of the team truly bring him? The balance sheet is an utter train wreck.
So, nope, this isn’t happening. At least not in any kind of time frame that will help McCourt. It’s either lose the team or litigate at this point. Or both.
Oh, and don’t think for a minute Bud isn’t watching you, Frank. He’s got his eye on you buddy …
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 23
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)