Jun 21, 2011, 8:25 AM EDT
After a day in which the Dodgers mess got messier, word seeps out that Frank McCourt is mulling — had mulled? will mull? — selling a minority stake in the team in order to infuse the organization with cash and preserve his place in the ownership chair.
Of course this is all too little too late. It took the Mets months to pull this off and they had a unanimity in ownership and no court interference as they identified and courted an investor. Frank McCourt has nine days until the check comes due and even if a magical fairy floated down from the treetops tomorrow with a briefcase full of cash, any sale of a minority stake in the team would have to go through Jamie and a divorce court and through Bud Selig who is obviously not inclined to do McCourt any favors. Oh: and given how leveraged McCourt and the Dodgers are, how much cash could a sale of a stake of the team truly bring him? The balance sheet is an utter train wreck.
So, nope, this isn’t happening. At least not in any kind of time frame that will help McCourt. It’s either lose the team or litigate at this point. Or both.
Oh, and don’t think for a minute Bud isn’t watching you, Frank. He’s got his eye on you buddy …
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 21
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 60
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 53
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 18
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)