Jun 21, 2011, 5:30 PM EDT
Brad Hawpe moved from first base to right field to make room for Anthony Rizzo‘s arrival two weeks ago and now he’s out of the lineup altogether, as the Padres placed him on the disabled list with a stained left middle finger.
Hawpe got off to a brutal start, turned things around for a while, and then slumped again of late, hitting a combined .231 with four homers and a .645 OPS in 62 games. Toss in bad defense in right field and the Padres won’t miss him much.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 4
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 113
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 25
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39