Jun 21, 2011, 5:30 PM EDT
Brad Hawpe moved from first base to right field to make room for Anthony Rizzo‘s arrival two weeks ago and now he’s out of the lineup altogether, as the Padres placed him on the disabled list with a stained left middle finger.
Hawpe got off to a brutal start, turned things around for a while, and then slumped again of late, hitting a combined .231 with four homers and a .645 OPS in 62 games. Toss in bad defense in right field and the Padres won’t miss him much.
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 27
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 57
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 32
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)