Jun 21, 2011, 12:02 PM EDT
It’s taken as a matter of faith that players go crazy in their free agent walk years, motivated by that big paycheck. And then that, after they get the fat deal, they themselves get fat and lazy and simply cash their checks. And sure, we all can cite examples of players who seem to fit this pattern.
But as Joe Sheehan writes over at Sports Illustrated today, it’s neither borne out by the statistical data nor does it tell the whole story. And here’s a big part of the story people miss:
The concept that players play best when motivated by potential free agency is as much a tale of managerial failure as it is one of player psychology. Front offices want to blame the player for failing to meet their expectations, rather than consider that the expectations were out of line.
Sheehan cites Gary Matthews Jr.’s deal with the Angels, but there are any number of players who got rich because their teams didn’t realize they were flukes. Yet we often blame the player for his regression as opposed to blaming management for the misjudgment.
It’s a good article that, no matter how many time the subject is revisited, people seem to reject the facts and go back to what they believe to be true. Let’s read Joe’s piece today and try to remember it, OK?
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 43
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 33
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (103)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)