Jun 21, 2011, 1:48 PM EDT
Jonathan Broxton is slated to begin his rehab assignment tonight at Triple-A and Rafael Furcal may not be far behind, as Tony Jackson of ESPN Los Angeles reports that the injured shortstop could start a rehab stint of his own as soon as Monday.
Furcal has been out since June 4 with a strained left oblique muscle that was initially expected to sideline him for at least a month.
He was able to field ground balls, make throws, and even take batting practice from the right side of the plate yesterday, but Jackson notes that the big test will come when the switch-hitter tries some swings from the left side.
Dee Gordon has held his own in Furcal’s place, filling in as the shortstop and leadoff man, but his hitting .280 with little power or plate discipline presumably hasn’t impressed enough for the 23-year-old rookie to keep a starting job once Furcal returns.
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 60
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 73
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (125)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)