Jun 21, 2011, 1:48 PM EDT
Jonathan Broxton is slated to begin his rehab assignment tonight at Triple-A and Rafael Furcal may not be far behind, as Tony Jackson of ESPN Los Angeles reports that the injured shortstop could start a rehab stint of his own as soon as Monday.
Furcal has been out since June 4 with a strained left oblique muscle that was initially expected to sideline him for at least a month.
He was able to field ground balls, make throws, and even take batting practice from the right side of the plate yesterday, but Jackson notes that the big test will come when the switch-hitter tries some swings from the left side.
Dee Gordon has held his own in Furcal’s place, filling in as the shortstop and leadoff man, but his hitting .280 with little power or plate discipline presumably hasn’t impressed enough for the 23-year-old rookie to keep a starting job once Furcal returns.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)