Ricky Romero tweets: “I did NOT call out my teammates”

Jun 21, 2011, 2:14 PM EDT

Ricky Romero

I wrote this morning about Ricky Romero pointing to a lack of run support after last night’s loss dropped him to 6-7 despite a 2.98 ERA and this afternoon Romero tweeted that he wasn’t calling out the Blue Jays’ lineup:

Wanna clear up that I did NOT call out any of my teammates. Never been that guy. I go about my business and that’s it. I respect everyone on my team. And my team knows what I’m all about. Some people try and make something outta nothing. My team is my Family.

I guess I’m “some people” in that scenario and Romero’s postgame quotes certainly didn’t qualify as harsh criticism or fighting words, but at the very least he was clearly letting off some steam about repeatedly taking tough losses. Longtime columnist Richard Griffin of the Toronto Star wrote about Romero’s comments under the headline: “Frustrated Ricky Romero speaks out on Jays’ lack of offence.”

Romero is absolutely right about the lack of run support he’s received, but he’s wrong about Toronto’s lineup struggling in general and has now learned the hard way that there’s really nothing to gain by pointing out teammates’ struggles whether you intended to “call them out” or simply discuss facts. Sad but true.

Signed,

Some people

1. b7p19 - Jun 21, 2011 at 2:40 PM

It’s never wise to point it out because the writers and fans will notice it without you. If you stay quite you’re the poor pitcher with no run support. If you point it out you’re the A-hole bad teamate that needs to shut it and do his job.

2. kopy - Jun 21, 2011 at 3:04 PM

I’d respect him more if he could actually stick to his guns. Instead, he calls out his teammates and then says he didn’t call them out. Life would be a lot more fun if people didn’t backtrack anything interesting they say.

• mordecofe - Jun 21, 2011 at 3:40 PM

Did you even read his initial comments? They weren’t “calling out” his teammates.

• kopy - Jun 21, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Yes. I guess it’s just that I consider:

“We’ve got to get somebody else to step up and get on base and drive them in. These guys are getting pitched around. Everyone’s got to step it up or else we’re not going to be winning ballgames.”

calling out your teammates. Not individually, obviously, but collectively.

3. cur68 - Jun 21, 2011 at 3:14 PM

I give the kid a pass on this one. Those guys stunk it up last night at the plate. Blazing hot out and they gave Hudson short innings by swinging at everything, something which Romero did as well. Above all I got sick of watching Rajai Davis strike out swinging at low and away pitches. He seems to be the only one in the park that doesn’t see that low and away pitch coming. Frankly no one was much good at the dish. Romero was just unlucky to give up that homer. Hudson has as much call to scream at his team’s offence since he had to do it all last night.

• missthemexpos - Jun 21, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Watching Davis last night brought back memories of Vernon Wells. Vernon was an easy mark the last couple of seasons with the low and away pitch. Anyone placing odds on Vernon deciding to opt out on his remaining 3 years/75 million?

• cur68 - Jun 22, 2011 at 12:03 AM

I do NOT miss Vernon.

4. Jonny 5 - Jun 21, 2011 at 3:56 PM

To say he was “calling out his teammates” was stretching it a bit.

That’s just my opinion though.

A managerial overanalysis epidemic