The Braves call up Julio Lugo. Yeah, that Julio Lugo.

Jun 21, 2011, 4:20 PM EDT

Julio Lugo, Adam Jones

So I’m minding my own business a few minutes ago when Gleeman IM’s me, asking me if the Braves actually called up Julio Lugo.  His comment:

Swear to god i assumed it was a different Lugo. no way they’d call up the same guy … I figured they had some 21-year-old at AA or something.
So yeah, that’s pretty much the state of Atlanta’s organizational depth that they need to call up a guy with a bad glove who is hitting .231/.286/.365 in AAA at the age of 35. And who was shipped out by multiple teams over the past few years because of alleged attitude problems.  Sadder still:  Lugo is probably more valuable as a backup infielder than the guy he’s replacing. Diory Hernandez is hitting .212/.212/.333.
Go Bravos.
  1. dodger88 - Jun 21, 2011 at 4:29 PM

At least your team can afford the luxury of a Lugo or a rich man’s Juan Castro.

• b7p19 - Jun 21, 2011 at 4:32 PM

I like this game. Another one for you dodger88 (feel free to use it) – At least your team can afford the luxury of …….having employees that require paychecks.

• bigxrob - Jun 21, 2011 at 5:00 PM

At least your team can afford the luxury of …….having employees that expect to receive paychecks.

• SmackSaw - Jun 21, 2011 at 5:09 PM

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 21, 2011 at 5:24 PM

At least your team can afford the luxury of …….a shortstop old enough to drink!

(I really like Dee Gordon, but he, Lugo and Alexei all need to go out to the Old Country Buffet together. Have the be the 3 skinniest guys in MLB.

2. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 21, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Can you define “call up”….perhaps you mean they rang him on the telly? Asked him if he was enjoying AAA? Asked him about his weekend? Asked him to go away? Anything other than ask him to come play ball with the big boys…yeah, go Bravos!

3. bobwsc - Jun 21, 2011 at 4:47 PM

he does possess one of the best hitter-to-pitcher stare downs in the game. and that’s about it for Julio Lugo ‘pro’ list.

4. mvpolamalu - Jun 21, 2011 at 4:55 PM

He’s so good he can play lf and rf and cf he’s a triple threat whenever McCann doesn’t hit a home run put him in at catcher to

5. bobulated - Jun 21, 2011 at 5:15 PM

Lugo does have a reputation for handling balls consistently. Oh my bad, I meant “adjusting” and “constantly”.

6. foreverchipper10 - Jun 21, 2011 at 5:44 PM

This makes me pine for the Cuddyer option that was on here the other day…..

7. uuddlrlrbastart - Jun 21, 2011 at 6:13 PM

Reading that I thought there’s no way he’s 35 years old. Checking baseball-reference, he was only called up in 2000. I was about 3-5 years off on both.

• bigxrob - Jun 21, 2011 at 8:00 PM

I feel like I’me 3 – 5-7 years off on a lot of sports realated things. I think it is a sign of age. I’m not happy about it.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3105)