The Ozzie-to-Florida maneuvering is beginning

Jun 21, 2011, 10:30 AM EST

Chicago White Sox v Cleveland Indians Getty Images

A year or two ago there was a bunch of talk about how the Marlins were hot for Ozzie Guillen, with rumors shooting here and there about the Marlins giving up a player for him and what have you.  That was mostly shouted down — semi-convincingly — but the resignation of Edwin Rodriguez and the fact that there will be an opening in Florida at the end of Jack McKeon’s interim stint this fall is likely to get it all chugging again.

Enter Joe Cowley’s latest piece in the Sun-Times:

A team source told the Sun-Times over the weekend that before leaving for the recent road trip, manager Ozzie Guillen ­approached chairman Jerry ­Reinsdorf about his long-term status beyond the 2012 season and didn’t like what he heard.

Which leads to the classic Guillen quotes about how this is no big deal, but at some point someone needs to tell him that he’s wanted or if, alternatively, he’s going to enter 2012 as a lame duck.

In and of itself, not crazy-big news.  Just gossip and Ozzie being Ozzie. But I don’t think it’s crazy to view this as an opening salvo in the coming Ozzie-to-Florida battle

1. FC - Jun 21, 2011 at 10:34 AM

Well he would certainly find a lot of panas down in Miami.

2. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 21, 2011 at 10:39 AM

Gator, you have something to say. I saw you half raise your hand in the back of the room.

3. Old Gator - Jun 21, 2011 at 10:39 AM

I should never have admitted I was eating breakfast where Craig could see it.

• cur68 - Jun 21, 2011 at 10:43 AM

Was it breakfast tacos, Gator?

I hope he joins you in Macondo. Boy oh boy; Ozzie in Florida. The proton meets the anti-proton and the resulting explosion DESTROYS a city. Either that or nothing much happens, but where’s the fun in that?

• Old Gator - Jun 21, 2011 at 11:05 AM

If Buddha-consciousness had never intended for man to eat tacos, they would not have been shaped like…well, you know.

However, in this case it was huevos pericos over a corn arepa with melted queso blanco and a cup of good strong cafe con leche with a double shot of Cuban expresso. The last thing you want to be masticating when a thread about the probability, however remote, of old Pilodinal Lips running the Feesh. It would be the baseball equivalent of l’affaire Elian, citrus canker, lethal yellow, the Joe Carollo election, fire ants and the Alvarez mayoral recall all rolled into one.

• cur68 - Jun 21, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Golly, that bad, eh? I was only hoping for small puss-filled canker sores.

• Old Gator - Jun 21, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Did you add a supernumerary “s,” or leave out a “y”?

• cur68 - Jun 21, 2011 at 2:54 PM

We were taught to NEVER commit that word to a patient’s chart. If the pustule has puss in it, then it is ‘puss-filled’. Most of us ignored that and wrote it the other way. I’m all growed up now so I try to be more circumspect. Plus, if any students ever caught me writing that…well my life would be made a living hell with them all doing that and the staff complaining to me about it. Little scamps like to test me so…

• garythebat - Jun 21, 2011 at 3:53 PM

Um, I think you missed Gator’s point. The words you’re looking for are “pus” (not “puss”) and “purulent” (not “puss-filled”). Did you go to one of those Caribbean medical schools?

• garythebat - Jun 21, 2011 at 4:23 PM

And all pustules, by definition, have pus in them. Otherwise they’re just vesicles.

• cur68 - Jun 21, 2011 at 7:46 PM

Pshaw, I’m just trying to have it my cake and eat it, too. What’s a good double entendre without an extra ‘s’ here and there?

• cur68 - Jun 21, 2011 at 11:50 PM

garythebat; I’m just back from a refreshing jaunt through other posts, checked back here in a good mood, re-read your 2 posts and realized what a snot you are. My my; turn up on the interwebs and start with insulting strangers eh?

Couple 3 things; 1) When you scratch your pustules they might break open and leak ‘puss’. When that happens they are no longer ‘puss’ filled but are still pustules.

2) “purulent” is a nice word, but doesn’t exactly explain the state of the pustule (open, scabbed, closed, ‘puss’-filled; you know, useful stuff like that when you are trying to determine if the kid’s chickenpox might now be a cellulitis). I usually only see smart-asses use that one.

3) I do not have a medical degree. I have an undergraduate degree, 2 Advanced Care Certificates (both in neonatal intensive care) a diploma, an I’m 90% of the way completed my research based masters. I dare say I can cope with ‘puss’.

4) Gator’s perfectly capable of correcting my interpretation of his posts. Lord knows he’s done so in the past.

Thanks for playing.

4. Kevin S. - Jun 21, 2011 at 10:43 AM

With apologies to Old Gator, who deserves neither, Ozzie and Loria deserve each other.

• Old Gator - Jun 21, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Perhaps, but I already have Scrooge McLoria and four unscheduled months of the Curmudgeonly Undead. What good deed am I being punished for that Ozzie looms on the horizon again like the cloud from Bhopal?

5. halladaysbicepts - Jun 21, 2011 at 10:51 AM

I don’t want this nutcase in the NL East.

• Old Gator - Jun 21, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Neither do I. he was made for designatedhitterball.

• Kevin S. - Jun 21, 2011 at 11:12 AM

Really? He decided he’d rather have a rotating cast of Juan Pierre, Mark Kotsay and Brent Lillibridge DH for him last year than give the job back to Jim Thome. The man has no idea what to do with the DH.

• Old Gator - Jun 21, 2011 at 11:19 AM

Ah, but you see, designatedhitterball was created to placate the clueless.

• Kevin S. - Jun 21, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Out of curiosity, are you going to contribute any actual arguments to the DH debate, or just take smug pot shots that get in the middle of everybody else’s actual arguments?

• Old Gator - Jun 21, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Just smug pot shots. I’ve already cast all of my pearls. Next time the argument itself displays some new quirks or angles we haven’t seen before instead of the same old lame, aesthetically sterile assertions that more offense is all that matters in baseball, I’ll be happy to synthesize a few new quirks or angles of my own.

6. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 21, 2011 at 10:54 AM

Here’s the inevitable solution of which according to me has been predestined since January. The White Sox will win the AL Central. Ozzie will sit where he is and the fans will continue to love him in Chicago. Florida will not be heard from again this year (on or off the field). “Duh winning”, I think is appropriate here.

7. ricofoy - Jun 21, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Ozzie may be crazy but he’s not dumb. He would never work for that jerk Loria and Delilah Samson

• Old Gator - Jun 21, 2011 at 11:18 AM

I hope you are right, I really do. But for me to believe that Ozzie is not dumb would require the sort of wild leap of faith of which even a Harold Camping would be incapable.

• FC - Jun 21, 2011 at 11:40 AM

He tore Sean Penn a new one a couple of weeks ago, he can’t be completely dumb.

• Old Gator - Jun 21, 2011 at 11:45 AM

What do you want to bet that Sean Penn blew it off because he realized he was being accosted by a moron? Anyway, what kind of idiot thinks that Sean Penn’s comments or behavior are worthy of a response? Two petulant twits going at it, is all. Let me know when Ozzie tears Stephen Hawking a new one and I’ll reconsider.

8. purdueman - Jun 21, 2011 at 1:34 PM

I’m a White Sox fan and think that Ozzie Guillen has not only kept the White Sox relevant in Chicago, but also nationally since he took over the team several years ago. There has to be accountability though, and right now Ozzie’s been blinded by his loyalty and friendship with Juan Pierre, who’s responsible for NOT setting up the White Sox backfiring offense.

In addition to being a defensive liability in the field, Pierre has a terrible OBS (.317), but he no longer can steal bases consistently (having been gunned down 9 times in 19 tries). In addition he’s cost the team 2-3 wins with dropped fly balls in the outfield and has been picked off first base several times.

Although the Sox lack another true leadoff man, that’s not just a Sox problem… it’s a problem throughout the major leagues where you have teams like the Yankees now leading off a clodhopper like Swisher. What I think should be done at this point is to release Pierre and put Dunn in LF and only sit Dunn when the Sox face a tough left handed pitcher (and platoon Lillibridge in).

Simply put, Ozzie’s not getting anywheres near the production out of the lineup he should be, and his reluctance to hand the closers job over to Sergio Santos in April caused several losses as the bullpen was in chaos and no one knew their role.

If Ozzie wants to leave, the White Sox will let him. I’d love to see Carlton Fisk as Guillen’s eventually replacement (as Fisk still lives in Chicago), but the fact he’s been out of professional baseball now for several years make such a move unlikely.

I’d also love to see Robin Ventura take over the White Sox too, but he has no coaching or managing experience (but is on the White Sox front office payroll now). The White Sox are loyal to a flaw so if Ozzie leaves, look for Joey Cora to finally get a well deserved shot at managing.

Ozzie’s too much of a loose cannon to grasp what a tool the Marlins owner Loria is. Ozzie goes to Miami, he’ll be gone just like so many who have come before him in less than 3 years. When Loria goes through his purge cycle of guys who are coming up on decent contracts, Ozzie will have a nuclear meltdown, his screwball son Oney will tweet the world as to what a crappy organization the Marlins are and Ozzie will wind up on Baseball Tonight as an analyst.

• Old Gator - Jun 21, 2011 at 2:29 PM

Three years????

The horror, the horror.

• purdueman - Jun 21, 2011 at 2:42 PM

Gator… Ozzie’s not going to leave Chicago without receiving at least a three year guaranteed deal (and I don’t think that Valentine would leave ESPN unless he got at least a four year guaranteed deal), so if Loria is able to lure either away, being as cheap as he has proven to be in the past I don’t see him being willing to eat what would surely be a 7 figure annual contract.

In other words, if either of these guys go to the Marlins, they’ll be there until at least the All Star break of the final year of their contract.

I’m sure that Loria’s interest in Ozzie is primarily to generate buzz and sell tickets; anything else he gets would just be “gravy”. The timing of this years Marlins collapse couldn’t have come at a worse time as the last thing any owner wants is to have is to have to try and build a new fan base around a losing team that has become largely irrelevant in their market.

Let’s face it; the consequences of all these years of sticking the Marlins in a sterile football stadium as far away from the fan base that the team badly needs to cultivate and grow is now rearing its’ ugly head.

• Old Gator - Jun 21, 2011 at 3:00 PM

Wel, we just watched Scrooge McLoria cough up $7 million to Javy Vasquez and an incomprehensible $18 million, three-year deal to John Buck. I hope that he feels so burned by the Buck contract (not to mention the Hanley contract, in hindsight) that the very concept of a three-year deal sends him running for the Pepto-Bismol. Whatever it takes to keep Ozzie someplace else.

Joeprodolsharklife Stadium was actually smack dab in the middle of the fan base. You can argue the aesthetics and the sensibility of the place, and certainly its rooflessness, but location wasn’t part of the problem. Macondo Banana Massacre Field is way out of geographical kilter, bad enough for the fans in Broward but far worse for the fans in Palm Beach County and points north. They will barely trickle to the new stadium.

• purdueman - Jun 21, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Who wants to go see a baseball game in a sterile football stadium? Joe Robby (or whatever they’re calling the place these days), has all the ambiance of Folsom Prison (but without the intimacy).

As far as it’s location? Where Joe Robbie is located, the inner city Latino/Cuban passionate baseball fans can’t get there from here (here being much closer to the new ballpark location).

Joe Robbie is located though within easy commuting distance to Ft. Lauderdale and tens of thousands of geriatric patients, who (as Tampa Bay has found to be also true of St. Peterswaiting room, er ah, St. Petersburg), these mostly tightwad refugees from New Yawk won’t pay to go to anything, much less a Marlins game.

These geriatrics may all be Marlins fans, but the closest that they get to Joe Robbie Stadium is seeing it from their rocking chairs on TV.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (3951)
  2. J. Kang (3387)
  3. J. Upton (2918)
  4. C. McGehee (2860)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2830)
  1. M. Kemp (2776)