Jun 21, 2011, 10:30 AM EST
A year or two ago there was a bunch of talk about how the Marlins were hot for Ozzie Guillen, with rumors shooting here and there about the Marlins giving up a player for him and what have you. That was mostly shouted down — semi-convincingly — but the resignation of Edwin Rodriguez and the fact that there will be an opening in Florida at the end of Jack McKeon’s interim stint this fall is likely to get it all chugging again.
A team source told the Sun-Times over the weekend that before leaving for the recent road trip, manager Ozzie Guillen approached chairman Jerry Reinsdorf about his long-term status beyond the 2012 season and didn’t like what he heard.
Which leads to the classic Guillen quotes about how this is no big deal, but at some point someone needs to tell him that he’s wanted or if, alternatively, he’s going to enter 2012 as a lame duck.
In and of itself, not crazy-big news. Just gossip and Ozzie being Ozzie. But I don’t think it’s crazy to view this as an opening salvo in the coming Ozzie-to-Florida battle
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 18
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 54
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 33
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 103
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)