Jun 21, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
A year or two ago there was a bunch of talk about how the Marlins were hot for Ozzie Guillen, with rumors shooting here and there about the Marlins giving up a player for him and what have you. That was mostly shouted down — semi-convincingly — but the resignation of Edwin Rodriguez and the fact that there will be an opening in Florida at the end of Jack McKeon’s interim stint this fall is likely to get it all chugging again.
A team source told the Sun-Times over the weekend that before leaving for the recent road trip, manager Ozzie Guillen approached chairman Jerry Reinsdorf about his long-term status beyond the 2012 season and didn’t like what he heard.
Which leads to the classic Guillen quotes about how this is no big deal, but at some point someone needs to tell him that he’s wanted or if, alternatively, he’s going to enter 2012 as a lame duck.
In and of itself, not crazy-big news. Just gossip and Ozzie being Ozzie. But I don’t think it’s crazy to view this as an opening salvo in the coming Ozzie-to-Florida battle
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 1
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 78
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 10
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 19
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)