Jun 21, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
A year or two ago there was a bunch of talk about how the Marlins were hot for Ozzie Guillen, with rumors shooting here and there about the Marlins giving up a player for him and what have you. That was mostly shouted down — semi-convincingly — but the resignation of Edwin Rodriguez and the fact that there will be an opening in Florida at the end of Jack McKeon’s interim stint this fall is likely to get it all chugging again.
A team source told the Sun-Times over the weekend that before leaving for the recent road trip, manager Ozzie Guillen approached chairman Jerry Reinsdorf about his long-term status beyond the 2012 season and didn’t like what he heard.
Which leads to the classic Guillen quotes about how this is no big deal, but at some point someone needs to tell him that he’s wanted or if, alternatively, he’s going to enter 2012 as a lame duck.
In and of itself, not crazy-big news. Just gossip and Ozzie being Ozzie. But I don’t think it’s crazy to view this as an opening salvo in the coming Ozzie-to-Florida battle
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 18
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 29
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 19
- Frank Torre: 1931-2014 6
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 46
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball 86
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use 92
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)