Whitey Herzog doesn’t like the idea of realignment

Jun 21, 2011, 1:32 PM EDT

Whitey Herzog

Whitey Herzog is a year younger than Jack McKeon, but given his reactions to just about anything that comes down the pike in baseball, you wouldn’t know it.  Hey Whitey, what do you think of the realignment proposals floating around?

The basis of his beef is that you can’t have two 15-team leagues because then there would be interleague play every day and that … would be bad.

I’ve heard this a lot. And I’m not sure exactly why that would be such a bad thing. I mean, if we’ve already gone interleague and expanded playoffs and we’re moving teams around and maybe even getting rid of divisions, why is the concept of interleague play still so hard for everyone to get their minds around?

1. b7p19 - Jun 21, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Slow Down! This is a neighborhood!

• Utley's Hair - Jun 21, 2011 at 1:54 PM

Hey, I yell that at people zipping down my street at 35+ mph in an already too high 25 zone. There are about 20 kids on the street.

• b7p19 - Jun 21, 2011 at 4:07 PM

I’m sorry, you’re right. I didn’t mean to come across as a proponent of running over kids in the street. Mind the speed limit everybody on Utley’s street.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 21, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Well, at least watch my kid—the other parents need to watch out for their own kids.

And does your halfhearted retraction mean you are a proponent for running over kids on the sidewalk? Or lawns? Or porches?

2. halladaysbicepts - Jun 21, 2011 at 1:57 PM

““I’ve heard about it and what I hear is all crap … I really hope it doesn’t happen, because then we’d have so much interleague play. It would be terrible.”

Smart man you are, Whitey Herzog. It is crap. Keep baseball like it is and eliminate interleague play.

“…why is the concept of interleague play still so hard for everyone to get their minds around?”

People like myself don’t like interleague play because it takes games away from teams that we normally have played often for so many years (Phillies don’t get to play teams like the Pirates, Cubs, Cards, etc. the amount of times like we used to). We want to see our geographical rivals. A team like the Phillies has no rivalry with teams like the Mariners, Rangers or Twins. Why does baseball have to continue to push this down our throats? Put it back to 2 divisions per league, contract some dead weight teams, and lets get back to some better MLB.

• skerney - Jun 21, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Yes let’s contract the team that has lost more games than any other franchise in the history of sports and won only two championships in 128 years. They are dead weight after those 10,000+ losses.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 21, 2011 at 2:06 PM

Contract a team that has been around since 1883 and is in the 4th largest television market in the country?

Are you smoking crack?

• kopy - Jun 21, 2011 at 2:46 PM

Well, bicepts, you did say yesterday the first thing you’d do as commissioner of MLB would be to contract the Minnesota Twins. Them, and their 4th highest attendance in all of MLB.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 21, 2011 at 3:09 PM

kopy,

I said that to spite that little punk, trevor69self, that instigated things with me yesterday. Truth be told, I have no problems with the Twins. Just him.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 21, 2011 at 4:02 PM

I with ‘Bicepts on this one. I’m not a fan of interleague play either. Something about it rubs me the wrong way. I hate when the Phillies have to go on the road and use that stupid DH. I don’t like hearing the opposing teams whine that they can’t use their DH when they come to CBP. And this season, Oakland and the Mariners, seriously? Give me that extra series with the Pirates any day of the week.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 21, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Exactly, good Doctor,

Watching those Pirates teams of the late 70’s and 80’s was fun. We had a good interstate rivalry there for years. This interleague play over the last 15 years has destoyed that. I want to see those teams in the NL Central a lot more like we used to.

Like I said, lets go back to the (2) divisions, put the Pirates back in the NL East, remove a few teams, and get back to the good schedule of old like it was growing up.

And enough of this wild card crap. That’s why we play a 162 games. Win your division and earn the right to play in the post season. Don’t neuter the 162 game schedule.

• trevorb06 - Jun 21, 2011 at 5:19 PM

‘I said that to spite…’

Once again proving you’re nothing but an immature little nozzle. :-) You can’t even stand by your own words. Nobody takes anything you say that seriously here. Spite away oh loud, mouthy spiter. That coming from the guy who’s first day using the name bicepts realized he was a nimrod and couldn’t spell. You showed up to a battle of witts unarmed and uninformed because there isn’t a battle. That’d implied you actually had a side or a legit chance.

• trevorb06 - Jun 21, 2011 at 5:21 PM

By the way bicepTs. I hear they need some help flippin/stirring around the cheesesteaks on the hot plate. You might want to man your post when you’re done cleaning the bathroom and commenting.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 21, 2011 at 5:54 PM

Trevor,
        Don’t talk to a veteran that way. Why don’t you walk upstairs from your moms basement and ask her what the meaning of respect is?

• trevorb06 - Jun 22, 2011 at 12:31 AM

drmonkey

I don’t care if he is a veteran. That gives him no right to be a disgusting piece of garbage as he can be on here.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 21, 2011 at 5:48 PM

trevor69self,

What’s the matter? Daddy take the car keys away from you again? Stop your whining. When you grow up one day, you’ll have your own car.

Until then, leave the baseball talk to the adults.

• trevorb06 - Jun 22, 2011 at 12:32 AM

bicepTs

You’re so pathetic in your insults. It’s quite laughable. Clean up in isle three by the way… might want to get on that. :-)

3. John Wright - Jun 21, 2011 at 2:12 PM

Posted this in the DH thread, but it’s more relevant here: http://wp.me/p1bPU4-ro. Everyone has a realignment proposal. This is mine.

4. Loren - Jun 21, 2011 at 2:22 PM

The real problem with realignment in regards to interleague play isn’t that you’d have more of it than we do now, it’s that any hope of eliminating or reducing it dies. Some day, maybe even this century, there will be a new commissioner and then there will be a chance to cast off the shackles of interleague games… but not if the leagues have an odd number of teams.

• clydeserra - Jun 21, 2011 at 3:07 PM

inter-league is going nowhere. Too much money to be made.

5. FC - Jun 21, 2011 at 2:45 PM

Shackles? Seriously people, get a grip.

• Loren - Jun 21, 2011 at 4:16 PM

I thought the “maybe even this century” line firmly established my comment as hyperbole.

6. royalsfaninfargo - Jun 21, 2011 at 2:49 PM

I dont have a problem with interleague play as a concept. I think the problem is that if it becomes an everyday occurrence it will lose the rarity factor that makes it interesting.

7. Old Gator - Jun 21, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Is it just my imagination, or does Whitey look like Ratko Mladic in that photo?

• pauleee - Jun 21, 2011 at 3:13 PM

Separated at birth?

• pauleee - Jun 21, 2011 at 3:14 PM

And how does Mladic feel about realignment?

• Utley's Hair - Jun 21, 2011 at 3:26 PM

He’d probably be okay with it—as long as he got to eliminate a bunch of players himself.

8. deep64blue - Jun 21, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Inter-league play every day is bad because a) inevitably the NL would be forced to use the DH and b) who want’s inter-league play in September in a penant race.

• b7p19 - Jun 21, 2011 at 4:02 PM

This brings up a good point about the DH. Does anyone have any opinions they’d like to share?

• Utley's Hair - Jun 21, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Yeah—CAKE rules.

9. akismet-e6748cca3a16ea6e8283008d25583adc - Jun 21, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Hey, I’ve got an idea. Instead of realignment lets just add two teams to the AL! Union likes it (more jobs for players), baseball investors like it (10-12 more minor league teams). Owners like it (two massive expansion fees to add to their pockets). Hitters like it (dilution of pitching). And Houston doesn’t have to switch leagues.

With 32 teams you can mimic what the NFL does with 4 division winners and two wild cards, with a 3-game series over a weekend between two wild card winners and the two weakest divisional winners, before resuming normal playoffs that tuesday.

My two new cities would be the two largest MSAs without baseball right now: Portland and San Antonio. Portland goes into the AL West and creates a fantastic new rivalry with Seattle, while San Antonio slides into the same division as Texas for a great intra-state rivalry.

it could work.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 21, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Adding teams=diluted talent=bad baseball.

The answer is not to add, but to subtract. Remove (6) teams from baseball (2 AL, 4 NL), go back to (2) divisions in each league, (2) pennant playoff series between the four division winners in both leagues, (1) World Series. No Wilcard. Don’t need it. If you couldn’t win your own division over the course of a 162 game schedule, you don’t deserve a post season.

Subtracting teames=better talent=good baseball.

• skerney - Jun 21, 2011 at 4:47 PM

What progressive thinking. While your at it, be sure to fill the Corvair with tetraethyl and head down to Wanamakers for the sale on leisure suits.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 21, 2011 at 4:54 PM

I’ve learned over the course of my life that progressive thinking has it’s place in certain parts of society. Baseball isn’t one of them.

Messing with the great game of baseball in unnecessary. You cannot improve on something that has already attained the status of perfection.

10. skerney - Jun 21, 2011 at 5:02 PM

So your perfect game would even even more perfect than it already is by subtracting six teams, the wildcard, the central division, the divisional series, and have the Braves and the Reds go back to the NL West? Thats perfect!

11. ndnut - Jun 21, 2011 at 5:27 PM

“They’re a good team in this ballpark”
    – Whitey Herzog after LOSING to the Twins in the 1987 World Series.

Lost all of the little respect I had for him. First, he called the Metrodome a BALLPARK!!! I may be a Twins fan but the Dome was not a “ballpark.” Second, if his team was so great, they could have beat them one game on the road

• royalsfaninfargo - Jun 21, 2011 at 8:33 PM

Glad to know im not the only NDer on here.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (4098)