Jun 21, 2011, 2:02 PM EST
Wily Mo Pena hasn’t seen any major league action since 2008, but he has been absolutely destroying baseballs at AAA for the past two years, so it was only a matter of time before someone gave him a shot. The Diamondbacks are giving him that shot, having just purchased his contract from AAA Reno, reports Jack Magruder of Fox Sports Arizona. The plan is to use him as a DH when the Dbacks hit the American League parks starting tonight.
Pena has an insane line of .363/.439/.726 with 21 homers in 63 games in Reno. While over half of his games have been at DH, he has played some first base and outfield too, so it’s not out of the question that Kirk Gibson could try to find a place for him in the event he keeps raking in the majors.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (133)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)