Jun 21, 2011, 2:02 PM EST
Wily Mo Pena hasn’t seen any major league action since 2008, but he has been absolutely destroying baseballs at AAA for the past two years, so it was only a matter of time before someone gave him a shot. The Diamondbacks are giving him that shot, having just purchased his contract from AAA Reno, reports Jack Magruder of Fox Sports Arizona. The plan is to use him as a DH when the Dbacks hit the American League parks starting tonight.
Pena has an insane line of .363/.439/.726 with 21 homers in 63 games in Reno. While over half of his games have been at DH, he has played some first base and outfield too, so it’s not out of the question that Kirk Gibson could try to find a place for him in the event he keeps raking in the majors.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 267
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (267)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)