Jun 21, 2011, 2:02 PM EDT
Wily Mo Pena hasn’t seen any major league action since 2008, but he has been absolutely destroying baseballs at AAA for the past two years, so it was only a matter of time before someone gave him a shot. The Diamondbacks are giving him that shot, having just purchased his contract from AAA Reno, reports Jack Magruder of Fox Sports Arizona. The plan is to use him as a DH when the Dbacks hit the American League parks starting tonight.
Pena has an insane line of .363/.439/.726 with 21 homers in 63 games in Reno. While over half of his games have been at DH, he has played some first base and outfield too, so it’s not out of the question that Kirk Gibson could try to find a place for him in the event he keeps raking in the majors.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 74
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 53
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11