Jun 21, 2011, 2:02 PM EDT
Wily Mo Pena hasn’t seen any major league action since 2008, but he has been absolutely destroying baseballs at AAA for the past two years, so it was only a matter of time before someone gave him a shot. The Diamondbacks are giving him that shot, having just purchased his contract from AAA Reno, reports Jack Magruder of Fox Sports Arizona. The plan is to use him as a DH when the Dbacks hit the American League parks starting tonight.
Pena has an insane line of .363/.439/.726 with 21 homers in 63 games in Reno. While over half of his games have been at DH, he has played some first base and outfield too, so it’s not out of the question that Kirk Gibson could try to find a place for him in the event he keeps raking in the majors.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 14
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 28
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 208
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (207)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)