Jun 22, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
We talked relics in the last post. An autograph is kind of like a relic too, but it’s way higher up the list, at least if it’s obtained in person. And the circumstances around getting that autograph matter too. If you pay a bunch of money to have some flunky take your baseball card from you, hand it to Former All-Star Player, sitting 10 feet away, it gets signed and is given back to you, well, not so special.
If, however, you’ve spent the past 70 years of your life worshiping baseball and then travel from Venezuela to Chicago for the specific purpose of meeting Omar Vizquel, who then shares some warm words with you while he’s on the diamond getting ready for the game, well, that’s a way more special relic.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 21
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 123
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 130
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 36
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (130)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (124)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)