Jun 22, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
We talked relics in the last post. An autograph is kind of like a relic too, but it’s way higher up the list, at least if it’s obtained in person. And the circumstances around getting that autograph matter too. If you pay a bunch of money to have some flunky take your baseball card from you, hand it to Former All-Star Player, sitting 10 feet away, it gets signed and is given back to you, well, not so special.
If, however, you’ve spent the past 70 years of your life worshiping baseball and then travel from Venezuela to Chicago for the specific purpose of meeting Omar Vizquel, who then shares some warm words with you while he’s on the diamond getting ready for the game, well, that’s a way more special relic.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 16
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (121)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)