And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights

Jun 22, 2011, 6:13 AM EDT

Jack McKeon

Marlins 5, Angels 2: The Feesh win! How they did it while allowing 13 hits is something you’d have to ask the Angels, who went 1 for 15 with runners in scoring position. Mike Stanton was 3 for 4 with 2 RBI and Hanley Ramirez had a multi-hit game himself.

Brewers 5, Rays 1: Zack Greinke struck out ten dudes over seven innings and the Brewers are back in first place. Why? ….

Phillies 10, Cardinals 2: That’s why. Placido Polanco was hit by a pitch with the bases juiced to kick off a nine-run rally in the eighth inning. And get this: Philly didn’t have one extra base hit in the game. They walked nine times, however.

Athletics 7, Mets 3: Oakland is streaky. They take their sixth in a row, and they seem to credit their gold jerseys as good luck charms. But hey, winning ugly is still winning. Like the Cardinals, the Mets issued nine free passes.

Nationals 6, Mariners 5: Doug Fister threw eight innings of three-hit ball, but the M’s bullpen totally woofed it away. A three run homer for Wilson Ramos capped a five-run ninth inning rally. Oy.

Twins 9, Giants 2: An eight run first inning for Minnesota. It seems like we’ve had a lot of games with those kinds of early big innings lately, ending things before they start.

Dodgers 6, Tigers 1: Three wins in a row for L.A., who must be like vampires who feed off of negative vibes from the front office. Matt Kemp stole his 20th base, putting him the 20/20 club on June 21st, which is kind of cool.

Braves 5, Blues Jays 1: On Monday night, Ricky Romero sort of kind of called his offense out for not scoring runs. Then, before this game, manager John Farrell had Romero talk to the team about his comments behind closed doors. I presume there was some level of apology at play.  After this game, though, you think Romero can issue a retraction on that apology? Mike Minor tied the Jays’ bats up for seven innings, striking out eight.

Diamondbacks 7, Royals 2: Wily Mo Pena hit a home run that left Missouri air space and violated multiple international treaties during its flight. He also struck out twice, which is pretty much Wily Mo Pena in a nutshell. Joe Saunders pitched seven strong for the Dbacks.

White Sox 3, Cubs 2: Paul Konerko hits yet another homer, the fifth straight game in which he has done so.  In other news, the gods apparently did not approve of something going on in Chicago and brought down their wrath during the game.

Rangers 5, Astros 4: Mitch Moreland with a walkoff homer in the 11th, which came just before giant storms hit Arlington. Man, the gods were pissed off at something last night, huh?

Padres 5, Red Sox 4: Oh, and the devil must have been around too. My evidence: David Ortiz had to have made a deal with him to have stolen a base. Less devilishly, Anthony Rizzo — he who, among others, was traded for Adrian Gonzalez — hit a bases loaded groundout in the seventh that plated the go-ahead run. So that has to feel nice for Padres fans.

Pirates 9, Orioles 3: The Pirates’ win was pretty cool, but nowhere near as cool as their 1971 throwbacks. The Orioles’ ’71 duds were pretty cool too. I, for one, like and miss the cartoon bird.

Rockies 4, Indians 3: Cleveland was held hitless into the sixth but clawed back from a 3-0 hole. But two homers for Seth Smith, the second of which came in the ninth inning to snap the tie as a storm approached, carried the day.

Yankees vs. Reds: POSTPONED: Kentucky rain keeps pouring down. And up ahead’s another town that I’ll go walking through, with the rain in my shoes, searchin for you … In the cold Kentucky rain.  Well, Kentucky is right across the river from Cincinnati, so I guess it’s close enough.

1. proudlycanadian - Jun 22, 2011 at 6:45 AM

The Feesh win and Old Gator is momentarily speachless. Go ahead old timer, let the joy out.

• Old Gator - Jun 22, 2011 at 8:31 AM

Well, I took my son to see The Tree of Man – perhaps the most pretentious film of the year, and I’m only being circumspect about that because I haven’t seen the new Lars von Trier film yet. And yes, yes, I know – dumping on Terence Malick is within most intellectual circles these days a lot like spitting in the communion wine, Terence having achieved a status somewhere between Alpha Artiste and Prophet, but though I may not know what I like, I do know what art is, and this was just a lot of artsy kitsch, like a Joss Whedon film with higher expectations for itself. I think that of the two scenes in the entire film that I liked – the beached Elasmosaur forlornly turning back to inspect its awful wound was one, but the hulking therapsid who pins a sickly baby Parasaurolophus by the head and then inexplicably decides that it’s so pathetic that he’ll let it live – the first one reminded me of Larry Beinfest reviewing his track record, and the second one reminded me of how inexplicable it is that they leave Kindly Uncle Wes (.203) on the 40-man roster.

Anyhow, we came out just as the pregame show was ending on the trusty car radio, and someone was talking about Hanley going out and “just having fun again,” which at this point you’d have to rank right down there with “we gotta play ‘em one game at a time.” Well, we got stuck in classic Macondo rush hour and construction traffic on the Plutocrat Islands Causeway heading home to darkest Kendall and Gaby Sanchez hit his icebreaking deenger just as a plane was rising into the air off the south runway at Macondo International: “And it’s up, up and awaaaaayyyyy…” Mind you, this was exactly the kind of half-baked synchronicity that had me rolling my eyes for two and a half hours in the cinema, but given the way the Feesh have been playing this month it sounded like “The Feesh win the pennant! The Feesh win the pennant! The Feesh win the pennant!”

Much credit will be heaped upon the Curmudgeonly Undead for this singular victory; some of the Feesh were remarking after the game that the old warhorse administers a pretty brutal high five for his age. But I kinda think the borac acid eyewash that the Iron Giant has been using had a lot to do with it, what with three for four, two ribbies and a booming double. And what about Hanley? Well I’ll be a son of a bitch (which I would be anyway) – he got himself two hits, climbing out of the Rio Mendoza and shaking himself off like a wet puppy. It does seem to me that it took him going 0-4 to slide to .198 from .201, and then inexplicably required a 2-4 to jack him up to his current .206, but maybe they calculate a declining average in base 10 and an improving average in base 8. Or maybe Scrooge McLoria, being, predictably, a Republican, had the statistician throw out the hanging chads. I never claimed to be much of a mathematician and am simply grateful I still have all my fingers, so I don’t know how it all works.

I do know, though, that it was nice to emerge from a movie that needed my son to keep elbowing me in the ribs in order to stay awake to the fun and excitement of a real (National League) baseball game. First thing I thought when I woke up was, “we shoulda gone to the damned game instead.”

• proudlycanadian - Jun 22, 2011 at 9:59 AM

The oracle has spoken.

• dfensfelix - Jun 22, 2011 at 1:16 PM

How blissfully unaware of oneself does one have to be to skewer something for being pretentious (transparently I might add, it’s the tired old subconscious m.o. where one denounces something brilliant and original in order to seem MOOOORE brilliant and original themself…and really, what’s more pretentious than that?) and then follow it up with a self-congratulatory, Dennis Miller-aping novella that reeks of pretense? Good lord.

• Old Gator - Jun 22, 2011 at 2:36 PM

I thought Days of heaven was an alltime masterpiece. I thought Badlands and Thin Red Line were brilliant. I’m happy to give credit where it’s due. But New World put me to sleep – Elvira Madigan for Greenwhich Village parlor conversants – and I thought this film sucked. What of it? As I inferred above, there is a self-congratulatory segment of the intelligentsia these days that regards Malick the way Harold Camping regards “Revelations.” He can do no wrong. If he had overdubbed Benigni’s Pinocchio with inaudibly whispered dialogue, cranked up the color saturation until the visuals blurred and spliced himself into the credits, they’d been standing on their seatbacks at Cannes and cheering. No thanks. If you thought it was “brilliant and original,” please feel free to number yourself among the well and truly snookered herd.

• cur68 - Jun 22, 2011 at 7:51 PM

Hey dfensfelix; how egotistically pretentious do YOU have to be to get on here and scold people for being able to write, express a thought and know more than you about stuff? I thought it was just me you had it in for you cynical, up-your-own-ass-jerk, now you’re planning to get into it with Gator, too?

I don’t know what annoys me more about you; your idiotic and meaningless screen name (I mean, really; WTF is a ‘dfensfelix’? Sounds like a french tampon) or your idiotic and meaningless out-of-no-where attacks on people who haven’t done you anything.

If you don’t like how other posters write, you can go read something else. No one elected you the blog-police so try to keep that in mind since you’re so damn impressed with yourself.

• dfensfelix - Jun 22, 2011 at 8:02 PM

………………………clap……………….clap………………clap…………………clap….clap…clap….clap clap…clap…clap…clap…clap…clap…CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAP

• Old Gator - Jun 23, 2011 at 12:02 AM

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
        All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
        All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
        All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
        All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
        All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
        All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
        All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
        All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
        Etc.

2. curr68 - Jun 22, 2011 at 6:48 AM

It’s official: the only thing I want for my next birthday is to receive a Doug Fister from Jose Bautista

• proudlycanadian - Jun 22, 2011 at 8:05 AM

OMG it is double r again. You are lacking the wit and humour of the original.

• curr68 - Jun 22, 2011 at 1:41 PM

“I hate Brussels sprouts and am not very fond of cabbage either”……..gold.

3. Jonny 5 - Jun 22, 2011 at 8:19 AM

Even Sir Albert Pujols couldn’t have saved the Cards from Tony LaRussa last night. Boy did he ever put on display. You just have to watch a half of the eighth inning to get some first class amusement, and a fine example of over doing things. And,,,,, guys basically sucking at their job, but that’s besides the point.

• professor59 - Jun 22, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Those 9 walks would have been 12 if the Phils weren’t swinging at everything for the first few innings. Hard to judge whether the bigger implosion was from Bumgarner or the Cards pen.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 22, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Philosophical question time: Can it be an implosion if he didn’t really start out before it happened?

4. kopy - Jun 22, 2011 at 8:53 AM

Those Minnesota Twins are so hot right now. 8 wins in a row, and 15 wins out of their last 17. Don’t look now, but they’re 6.5 games back! Shamelessly, I enjoy interleague play simply because the Twins always do so well in it. Leading off a game with 8 straight hits before the defending World Series champs can record an out is a good way to win a baseball game.

5. Jonny 5 - Jun 22, 2011 at 8:55 AM

synchronicity.

About the same time last night my wife and I and the neighbors were talking about things that bored me to no end over the fence, as my son took batting practice in the back yard. Well he had us all ducking for cover as he nailed a ball and a flash of white flew over our heads. To all of our amusement it was nothing more than a white cabbage butterfly. Pretty funny. Then I preceded to give the “butterfly” the evil eye and wish death upon it because it probably is thinking of doing something dirty to my brussel sprouts, if it didn’t already.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 22, 2011 at 8:56 AM

That was supposed to be a reply to Gator’s story.

• Old Gator - Jun 22, 2011 at 9:07 AM

And what is a Brussels sprout after all but an angry little cabbage?

• proudlycanadian - Jun 22, 2011 at 10:04 AM

I hate Brussels sprouts and am not very fond of cabbage either. On the other hand, I have found a very “green” establishment near me called the Spirit Tree Estate Cidery. Any one of their 3 varieties of fermented cider can make me forget a Blur Jays loss.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 22, 2011 at 10:33 AM

Brussel sprouts, well done, coated with butter salt and pepper are DELICIOUS! What kind of Canadian are you anyway? Drinking Cider when beer is readily available? sheesh!

• Utley's Hair - Jun 22, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Hey, proudly, I know it’s a typo—or is it?—but talking about fermented cider making you forget a “Blur Jays” loss is pretty funny.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 22, 2011 at 10:44 AM

Jonny, Brussels sprouts are delicious.

• Old Gator - Jun 22, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Roast Balsamic Brussels Sprouts

Okay, try this. Even kids love them done this way; it brings out all the natural sweetness in them that steaming or boiling obfuscates:

1-1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts
        3-5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
        1 tablespoon freshly picked thyme
        1 large shallot, chopped
        1/2 cup pecan halves, optional
        A few good cranks freshly ground black pepper
        1/2 teaspoon good quality balsamic vinegar
        3/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt
        Instructions:
        Preheat oven to 400F.
        Bring a small pot of salted water to a rolling boil. Trim the brown bottoms off the sprouts and remove any yellow leaves. Quarter the very large sprouts, and half the medium and small sprouts. Add the sprouts and cook, no longer than 2 minutes then drain. In a large bowl, toss the Brussels sprouts with 2 tablespoons EVOO, thyme, shallots, pecans, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper. Roast on a sheet pan in the oven until sprouts are tender on the inside and crisp on the outside, 30 minutes, flipping the sprouts every 7-8 minutes to brown evenly. Remove from the oven. Return to the original bowl and add the remaining 1 tablespoon EVOO, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and vinegar. Toss well to combine and serve.
        Serves: 4

• cur68 - Jun 22, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Boys, I’m with PC here; brussel sprouts taste like dirt. The butterflies can have them. Cider, especially cider made from my sweet crab apples, is delicious. On hot days (both of them) I like to enjoy a beer and cider as I get some sun my carcass. I find it helps to be a little sauced when you are showing the world how much body hair you have and being sauced is greatly abetted by cider and beer.

• spudchukar - Jun 22, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Becoming a regular are ya’ Proud Canuck?

• Utley's Hair - Jun 22, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Proudlycanadian’s been around for a while.

• spudchukar - Jun 22, 2011 at 3:04 PM

I guess I was misunderstood, when I said regular, it was meant to imply numerous visits to the new watering hole after losses.

• cur68 - Jun 22, 2011 at 7:54 PM

Let us all pray for the state of PC’s liver. The Blur Jays gotta play TLR next. He’s got them out gunned.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 22, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Gator That does sound mighty tasty. I have some lemon thyme growing i’d like to try with that too.

Cur, you are a cake eater, I wouldn’t expect you to have the refined palate required to enjoy Brussels sprouts.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 22, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Jonny, it has nothing to do with cake—Brussels sprouts are mighty tasty. It’s gotta be the DH leaving a bad taste in his mouth.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 22, 2011 at 11:18 AM

LOL!!! What does DH stand for in this case?

• cur68 - Jun 22, 2011 at 11:45 AM

I am above your juvenile attempts at humor.

Actually I’m not but I can’t think of anything suitable scathing to retort with so I shall go with hauteur. Peasants.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 22, 2011 at 12:03 PM

In other words, Jonny, Seisenta y ocho is saying that he will not stoop to our level…since he’s already there, but standing on his tippy toes.

• cur68 - Jun 22, 2011 at 12:05 PM

…with my nose in the air.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 22, 2011 at 12:16 PM

“…with my nose in the air.”

All the better to evacuate the DH taste huh? LOL, glad Cur has a sense of humor as warped as our own.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 22, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Hey, Jonny: Tastykake Orange Kream-sicle Junior…mmmmm….

• proudlycanadian - Jun 22, 2011 at 12:59 PM

To Utley’s Hair. That was a typo; however, I laughed when I saw it and saw no need for a correction. I must have been thinking of the delicious ice cider or was it the traditional pub cider. In either event yum yum. A nice alternative to beer.

6. uyf1950 - Jun 22, 2011 at 9:01 AM

Even though the Yankees didn’t play. They would up winning because all 4 of the other AL East teams lost last night. They now trail the “red hot” Red Sox by only 1 game (none in the loss column) and having played 2 less games they are virtually even. Not bad when you consider the Red Sox have only lost 3 games in the last 2 plus weeks. Today’s day/night doubleheader between the Yankees and Reds should be very interesting.

• uyf1950 - Jun 22, 2011 at 9:23 AM

oops, should be “they wound up winning…”. Sorry

• Ari Collins - Jun 22, 2011 at 11:56 AM

I’m not sure why you put “red hot” in quotes. It’s not that the Sox aren’t red hot; it’s just that the Yankees have been orange hot.

• uyf1950 - Jun 22, 2011 at 1:11 PM

I just like “quotation marks”.

7. Matthew Flint - Jun 22, 2011 at 9:14 AM

OK, before everyone jumps on my back about what I’m about to say, I know LaRussa is a great all time manager. But I have never watched someone take the enjoyment out of a baseball game more than him. His pitchers were not making the outs they needed to but he the eighth inning was the worst display of over managing I have ever seen. I thought Girardi could slow a game down but he’s got nothing on the guy in St. Louis. I actually feel bad for their fans to watch him night after night. And that’s part of the problem, that he is the second most notable guy on that club. Really annoying.

• bleedgreen - Jun 22, 2011 at 9:22 AM

43 minute top of the 8th inning. FORTY THREE MINUTES. Thats usually 3-4 innings of Phillies baseball… mainly because they’re usually 3 up 3 down, but with their pitching, the opponent is 3 up 3 down as well.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 22, 2011 at 9:49 AM

Just like to point out that Charlie Manuel, who is constantly judged by Philly fans, and others for his lack of managing ability. I always hear, “he’s not the best for making good moves in situations, he’s a players manager though.” Made every single move correctly last night. He pulled Roy H early for a pinch hitter which led to a run, which at the time was needed because the offense was just flat. He pulled Brown for Fransisco who had a great at bat and got the hit, extending the inning. The Cards did the rest.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 22, 2011 at 10:37 AM

Good win for the Phillies. But, once again, they did not score for the great Roy Halladay to get his 10th win. But what can I say? They won on the futility of the Cards bullpen and some timely hits. It’s amazing that all of those runs in the 8th were scored with two outs.

LaRussa using 5 relievers in that inning was a joke. He must have received frequent walkers miles with all the trips he took to the mound that inning.

Chooch with (4) hits was great. Hopefully, Polanco will only miss a few games.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 22, 2011 at 10:36 AM

Quite the pitcher’s duel last night—until LaRussa stuck his nose in. A 43-minute inning…two HBPs…four walks…as many hits as Cards pitchers (five)…14 batters…unreal. The eighth more than made up for Chooch’s almost very costly baserunning gaffe. Sorry for yet another ND, Doc.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 22, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Yeah, Doc pitched too well again not to get the decision. Watching him pitch yesterday, I noticed that he did not throw alot of 1st pitch strikes. I think this was by design. I think he feels that he needs to throw almost perfect to win a game because he has no faith in that offense. And, who can blame him?

Normally, if he knows he will get run support, he doesn’t mind giving up hits and a run or two because that’s all he normally needs. But, the offense is squeezing him now.

• cshearing - Jun 22, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Are you shocked that no one is arguing you opinion? I am not.

8. easports82 - Jun 22, 2011 at 9:15 AM

While the pen absolutely blew the game, couple things lost in the M’s/Nats game:

1) The obligatory “Fister helps his own cause” with an RBI single.
    2) Umps horribly blew a call to end the M’s first with Smoak getting doubled up while retreating to third after a popup down the line. Dude was standing on the bag when Livan tagged him and he got called out. Replay, please.

• kopy - Jun 22, 2011 at 9:23 AM

Hey, my google machine works: http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=16122377

The tag was, in fact, late. But, there didn’t need to be one. It’s a force out, and the ball does hit Livan’s glove before Smoak steps back on the base. I’d say it’s the right call.

• kopy - Jun 22, 2011 at 9:26 AM

Well, now I’m second guessing myself. I feel like I’m taking crazy pills because the caption even says Livan “applies the tag”. I have to be right that it is a force play, right? But now I’m not sure that Livan’s foot is on the bag, or up against it. I think we can agree the throw beats the runner, and the runner beats the tag. I guess it’s just a matter of if Livan’s foot was on the bag.

• easports82 - Jun 22, 2011 at 9:47 AM

It wasn’t a force; Smoak tagged up, then returned to the bag before Livan touched him. The throw beats him, sure, but the tag didn’t.

• kopy - Jun 22, 2011 at 9:58 AM

Well, if he did tag up, then he’s safe. However, there’s nothing in the video that shows that he did tag up and wasn’t just standing a foot away from the base the whole time.

• RickyB - Jun 22, 2011 at 10:15 AM

easports82 is spot on. That is a ridiculously bad call. Smoak bluffed the tag and was back on the bag in plenty of time.

9. cur68 - Jun 22, 2011 at 10:09 AM

I’m pouring Jobu a big glass of rum and and lighting the flash powder before the start of play today. The Beaver Boys gotta wake up the bats. They’re gonna be playing on 2 days rest now, since they’ve done bubkis beyond fan the sweltering Atlanta air. Bautista is starting to connect again though. If Progressive wasn’t such a cavern he’d have had 1 and possible 2 homers last evening. Just gotta swing harder Jose.

Aside from what the Jays are passing off as baseball, I was so please to see The Return of Wily Mo Peña (or Wily Mo Parte Dos). Whatta bomb into the fountain at Kauffman! If Adam Dunn can have a place in MLB it blows me away that Wily Mo has been in the minors all this time. Welcome Back Wily Mo Peña.

10. Professor Longnose - Jun 22, 2011 at 10:19 AM

The Braves have reached .500 in franchise history. They’re at 9987-9987. It’s a race to get to 10,000 wins before they get to 10,000 losses.

• cur68 - Jun 22, 2011 at 10:29 AM

No worries Prof; the Blue Jays are still in town. They’ll help out.

11. spudchukar - Jun 22, 2011 at 12:08 PM

To ‘Cepts: Halladay did not throw a lot of first pitch strikes cause the Cards are first pitch fastball hitters. It is their makeup and team philosophy. He also pitched inside a lot because the Cards are known to hit the opposite way, but they laid off most of those getting his pitch count up. I thought it was kind of a wash, we knew what he was trying to do and vice versa and both were somewhat successful.

Defense of LaRussa: Most pointed to Pujols’ injury as insurmountable. But those who are aware of the soft underbelly of the Redbirds know the DL stint for Sanchez may cost us more games, and last night was a prime example. He had been lights out as the 8th inning set up man, and we have no replacement as was quite visible aforenight. Let’s Recap. LaRussa brings in lefty specialist Trevor Miller to turn around Rollins and Victorina and to face Utley. Smart for a couple of reasons, not only does it create a better matchup but it also negates their speed to a degree. Miller had looked OK in two previous outings so maybe he was regaining his form and let’s face it somebody has to pitch. McClellan was great for 7 but he is a converted reliever, just returned from the DL, and 90 pitches was about all one could expect, and he would be addressing the top of the order for the 4th time. But Miller falters giving up a hit and a walk, retiring only one. Up comes Cards killer, and St. Louis native Ryan Howard. Leave a struggling Miller in to face Howard, or turn to 98 MPH fireballer Motte. Good fastballs inside trouble Howard, as all Phillie fans know, so I like the move, and Motte has been mostly good lately. But then he plunks Howard, and for good measure he does likewise to Polanco. Contrary to many people’s belief LaRussa chastises his pitchers for hitting unwarranted batters, and one more plunking and we have a bean ball war, even if the events were unintentional, which I believe they were. So in the interest of the health of both clubs, out goes Motte and in comes the other lefty specialist Tallet to face two southpaws. He retires Ibanez, and forces Brown out of the game for righty Francisco. What, you wanted another pitching change? Francisco squeeks one through the left side, and LaRussa chooses to go to Batista. Here one might suggest the change is unnecessary, but remember the score is still only 3-2, and if Batista who is our long relief Dude gets the next man out and escapes further trouble, he might be called on to pitch a few more innings. But Batista is butt awful, he walks Ruiz on a wild pitch, 4-2, then walks Martinez on four straight without coming close to a strike, 5-2 and gives up a 3-2 count single to Rollins plating 2 more 7-2 out of reach, so LaRussa turns to rookie hopeful and 100 MPH hurler Cleto who gives up the rest. In my mind only the lifting of Tallet deserves any scrutiny, and the argument to do so is obvious.

Personally, I point the finger to a cheap-ass organization, that chooses to save bucks with retreads and rookies in the bullpen, costing us another in a long line of victories in 2011.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 22, 2011 at 12:26 PM

You forgot the last part Spuds. The part where LaRussa finally gave the “F” up on changes and left “Cleto” in to bat. That was like a bow tie on the night imo. “Yes, I Tony LaRussa, have given up on making any changes for the remainder of the night, as any change i do make is obviously prone to some kind of voodoo curse.” Good idea Tony.

• professor59 - Jun 22, 2011 at 12:32 PM

There were no batters left on the team. I suppose he could have pinch hit with another pitcher, though.

• spudchukar - Jun 22, 2011 at 12:50 PM

You Sir are correct, and I believe astute in your analysis of LaRussa’s mindset by then. This is the second time Cleto has been left in to clean up the mess left by others, but he is low man on the totem pole, needs big-league experience, and at that point in the game, any change would redefine futile.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 22, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Cleto and Cueto should swap last names btw.

12. foreverchipper10 - Jun 22, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Craig, I too would love to see the cartoon bird on the Orioles unis.

13. APBA Guy - Jun 22, 2011 at 1:17 PM

The gold unis impose their will on the hapless Mets pitching, inducing 9 BB’s, 6 from starter Dillon Gee. Citi is a big park, but the A’s are used to playing to the gaps in the Mausoleum, so the intimidation factor wasn’t there. What was there was a Mets starter who wasn’t close to the zone, followed by a reliever who throws stick straight. I almost got the impression that the Mets have fired their entire advanced scouting department, as Sweeney was being pitched high in the zone, Crisp saw a lot of fastballs etc. Outman was hitting his spots and managed 7 innings before the Shaky Twins, Breslow and Fuentes, managed to turn over a lead to Balfour without too much damage being done. Jemile Weeks did make the case for time as a DH by botching two popups but was charitably only charged with one error. He’s now officially the driver of the A’s defensive Klown Kar.

Six in a row, tonight has Gio against RA Dickey which could be a walk-fest of intergalactic proportions, or could be 1-0, depending on how those two feel.

Congrats to OG for summoning the spirits to finally break the Feesh skid. Even if it meant having to endure a Terrence Malick movie to do it, the sacrifice was nobly done. Personally, I lasted about 40 minutes of the “New World” before leaving, vowing never to watch another Malick or Colin Farrell movie, a promise that has been easy to keep thus far.

• handsfour - Jun 22, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Weeks looking defensively inept just as Ellis comes off the DL… wonder if the plot thickened just a bit.

• Old Gator - Jun 22, 2011 at 2:42 PM

Thanks, guy. It’s been a slice. Now, New World anaesthetized me as well, but there is no finer film in the entire annals of American cinema than Days of Heaven, and Badlands and Thin Red Line were terrific films. I felt the same way about Malick after waking up for the credits for New World as I did about Mel Brooks when I woke up near the end of Robin Hood: Men in Tights: awww shit, he’s losing it. In both cases, nothing subsequent has dissuaded me.

• spudchukar - Jun 22, 2011 at 3:02 PM

“Bruges” was actually pretty good, so Farrell has that going for him.

• Old Gator - Jun 22, 2011 at 5:36 PM

In Bruges he had the great Brendan Gleason to help him look good. Intermission was his high point.

14. natstowngreg - Jun 22, 2011 at 1:22 PM

re: Nats-Mariners. I turned the game off after Ryan Zimmerman’s GIDP in the 9th. Livan noted after the game that fans tend to forget that you gtet 27 outs. Guilty as charged.

re: LaRussa: I’ve heard a handful of visitors booed by their own fans at Nats games, notably A-Rod and Pat Burrell. LaRussa was the only maager. (There was also Joe West, but he has his own category.)

re: Bucs-O’s:The Pirates were my favorite team at the time. The Orioles, though not my favorite AL team, were quite worthy of respect. So it was neat that they wore their 1971 uniforms — and the Pirates did not wear their 1979 uniforms.

[This is a brussels sprout-free zone.]

• spudchukar - Jun 22, 2011 at 1:28 PM

Remember Rigglemann is a LaRussa disciple.

• natstowngreg - Jun 22, 2011 at 2:07 PM

True, but Riggleman lacks LaRussa’s self-importance and tendency toward extreme overmanaging.

• spudchukar - Jun 22, 2011 at 2:44 PM

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn’t Rigglemann choose to bat his pitcher in the #8 spot vs. the Cards? And employ 4 relievers in 4 innings in game one of the series?

• natstowngreg - Jun 22, 2011 at 5:57 PM

That’s why I said “extreme” overmanaging. What Riggleman practices is the “normal” overmamging in today’s game, using practices pioneered by LaRussa. Using one pitcher each in the 7th, 8th, and 9th with a lead is not at all unusual these days.

As for the pitcher batting 8th, obviously that is a LaRussaism. But Riggleman did that (and batted Werth leadoff) out of desparation, since the offfense struggled to score more than 2 runs in a game. He had not batted the pitcher 8th before. When the team started winning (including a sweep of the Cards) with the revised lineup, he kept using it. If and when the Nats go into another run-scoring funk, he will probably stop batting the pitcher 8th.

Perhaps the point is, Riggleman may in some ways manage like LaRussa, but these days, that’s not uncommon. Perhaps LaRussa as a manager is just stale, and needs to come up with new strategems so he can keep his “genius” image. At least, in his own mind.

• spudchukar - Jun 22, 2011 at 6:18 PM

No doubt, Gleason carried the day, he was phenomenal, but all in all Farrell held up pretty well.

15. cptnew1 - Jun 22, 2011 at 2:15 PM

Spudchukar, great analysis. Couldn’t agree more. As a lifelong Cards fan, I’m not particullary found of TLR’s over/micro managing myself. That being said, I’m not sure what could have been done differently last night. Easy to blame Tony, however he isn’t the one missing the zone by a foot. In a perfect world, Wainwright is still in the rotation, Mckellen and Sanchez are there to back up the bullpen and Batista would be tossing frisbees as long reliever in AAA. It actually is a credit to TLR to have the team where it is, (maddening as it is to watch sometimes) despite the season long rotating MASH unit.

• spudchukar - Jun 22, 2011 at 2:50 PM

Thanks, you illustrated much more succinctly last night’s bullpen fiasco. While I am more of a LaRussa fan than most, I am also quick to criticize, when appropriate. But as you pointed out, what else exactly was he to do last night? And even his most ardent critics should be willing to admit, this year he has been pulling rabbits out of hats.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto