Jun 22, 2011, 4:46 PM EST
Davis has been out since mid-May with an injury that was initially expected to sideline him for just a couple weeks and Alderson told reporters that season-ending surgery is likely if he continues to show little improvement during the next three weeks.
Even if he can avoid going under the knife it sounds like Davis will have a hard time making it back from the disabled list before August, as Alderson told Joel Sherman of the New York Post not to expect the first baseman in the lineup “anytime soon.”
Davis was off to a great start before suffering the injury on May 10, hitting .302 with seven homers and a .925 OPS in 36 games. His primary replacement at first base, Daniel Murphy, has hit .292 with two homers and a .736 OPS in 37 games since May 10.
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 43
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 94
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 121
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 36
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 68
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (122)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (108)