Jun 22, 2011, 4:46 PM EDT
Davis has been out since mid-May with an injury that was initially expected to sideline him for just a couple weeks and Alderson told reporters that season-ending surgery is likely if he continues to show little improvement during the next three weeks.
Even if he can avoid going under the knife it sounds like Davis will have a hard time making it back from the disabled list before August, as Alderson told Joel Sherman of the New York Post not to expect the first baseman in the lineup “anytime soon.”
Davis was off to a great start before suffering the injury on May 10, hitting .302 with seven homers and a .925 OPS in 36 games. His primary replacement at first base, Daniel Murphy, has hit .292 with two homers and a .736 OPS in 37 games since May 10.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 15
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 14
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 54