Jack McKeon and the radio transmitter

Jun 22, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT

Dick Tracy ad

Larry Granillo has a neat story over at Wezen-Ball today, recounting the time when, as a minor league manager nearly 50 years ago, Jack McKeon was part of an experiment wherein the manager and the pitcher communicated via radio transmitters.

After reading that, all I can do is thank the maker that the idea didn’t stick and filter up to the major leagues. Because boy howdy, the last thing we need to do is to give Tony La Russa even more control of a game than he already has.

1. Utley's Hair - Jun 22, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Nothing like TLR chiming in as the pitcher is about to release.

• jjschiller - Jun 22, 2011 at 11:20 AM

La Russa: “You’re shoulder! Be aware of your shoulder! Fluid motion, shoulder closed… is your glove regulation? WHEN DID YOU LAST SHAVE?

“BALL 3!?!?!? (DUNCAN, IS TALLET READY?!!!)”

Duncan: “Tallet just got up, Tony.”

La Russa (already across the baseline): “I CAN’T HEAR YOU DAVE!”

2. kopy - Jun 22, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Keanu Reeves used to let me wear my walkman while I pitched some little league back in the day, but then an opposing manager convinced the ump to ban the headphones because it was a “safety issue”. Really though, the guy just wanted to throw me into a funk because I was throwing hot fire that day.

3. Old Gator - Jun 22, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Keanu Reeves.zz..zzzzzzz….zzzzzzzzzzzzz….

• hasbeen5 - Jun 22, 2011 at 12:15 PM

To make up for a misunderstood comment yesterday, I’ll give you props here. The dude can’t act.

4. royalsfaninfargo - Jun 22, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Insert obvious Jack McKeon old man joke here….

5. halladaysbicepts - Jun 22, 2011 at 12:29 PM

New Headline: “Jack McKeon and the discovery of fire.”

• natstowngreg - Jun 22, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Jack McKeon didn’t discover fire. Don Zimmer did.

6. Jonny 5 - Jun 22, 2011 at 12:36 PM

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 22, 2011 at 12:40 PM

I wonder if this gets back to McKeon and someone explains it to him, will McKeon bench Logan? McKeon seems to be a no-nonsense kind of guy that does not put up with this type of tomfoolery.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 22, 2011 at 12:49 PM

I can’t wait to find out. And I’d bet “tomfoolery” is the exact word he’d use too.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 22, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Jonny,

I think that since everything in the world of the Phillies is status quo now, somehow the Marlins have become the most interesting thing in our division to talk about on many levels. Do you agree?

• Jonny 5 - Jun 22, 2011 at 1:11 PM

Well, it’s mid season, and thankfully the Phillies don’t have much to talk about right now. And Yeah, the Marlins have more to talk about. Glad it’s not the Phills actually.

• spudchukar - Jun 22, 2011 at 3:22 PM

Looks like it might develop into a real knock down, dragged out slobberknocker.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5118)