Len Kasper signs five-year extension to stay Cubs’ announcer

Jun 22, 2011, 4:14 PM EDT

len kasper cubs

Len Kasper will be the Cubs’ television play-by-play announcer through at least 2016 after signing a five-year contract extension, according to Barry Rozner of the Arlington Heights Daily Herald.

Kasper has been paired with Bob Brenly on Cubs games since 2005 and they’re among my favorite duos. They have a very friendly, natural on-air rapport that suggests they might actually like each other away from the microphones, and in addition to being a good play-by-play guy Kasper is also one of the few announcers who successfully incorporates some sabermetric insights into the broadcast.

Brenly’s deal is up after the 2012 season and Rozner speculates that the Cubs will try to sign him long term next.

1. drmonkeyarmy - Jun 22, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Never heard the Cubs announcers, but they have to be better than that joker the White Sox have.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 22, 2011 at 4:37 PM

That’s hilarious, we simul-posted the exact opposite commentary.

2. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 22, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Those two guys have grown on me, I must say. Although, they can’t hold a candle to Hawk n Stonepony.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 22, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Really Bravo…Hawk? He sounds like he is humping a sheep when he does his homer call.

• AK47 - Jun 22, 2011 at 4:30 PM

You gotta be bleepin’ me.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 22, 2011 at 4:35 PM

I know I know…everyone hates on the Hawk. Well, if you root for the Saaax (I do as a side hobby), you should love his hawkisms, Saaaaax pride, and just all around buffoonery. Stonepony is just awesome and I’ve always loved him.

• normb11 - Jun 22, 2011 at 4:40 PM

Cub fan here, hate Hawk, but he is pretty dam funny sometimes.

• kmgannon - Jun 22, 2011 at 5:18 PM

I’ve always liked Stone–and I used to like Hawk, but he jumped the shark a long time ago. Now, I can’t stand listening to him.
        Kasper and Brenly are about the best team around, IMHO–and I watch a TON of baseball, so I’ve heard every team’s announcers.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 22, 2011 at 5:33 PM

I also watch all of the other announcers (MLB.TV WOO HOO!) and I can’t say the Sox team is my favorite, but they are up there.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 22, 2011 at 7:30 PM

Who are your favorite announcers Bravo?

3. spudchukar - Jun 22, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Brenly can be a little overbearing at times, but all in all the WGN broadcasts are generally pleasant. And this comes from a Cards fan. But “Put it on the Board?” NO.

4. hoopmatch - Jun 23, 2011 at 6:00 AM

Len and Bob are a little too homerish for me. Meaning they make no secret about favoring the Cubs. Harrelson is much worse, often referring to the Sox as “we.” The only time I like listening to him is when the Sox are being pounded.

Mariners broadcaster Rick Rizzs (at least I think it was him) was funny the other day when the Nationals came back with five runs in the ninth to win the game. When Wilson Ramos’ game-winning homer was still in the air, Rizzs said, “No way! No way!.” Seemed spontaneous to me, as if he was just saying what he felt and not “performing” for his job.

You would think that, as much as everyone reveres Vin Scully, there would be more announcers who follow Vin’s example and don’t openly root for their employer’s team. But most of them are homers to one extent or another.

• schrutebeetfarms - Jun 23, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Great point on Scully.
      Describe the game and what’s going on and add some insight every once in a while.
      I don’t need open cheering going on.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4929)