Jun 22, 2011, 1:48 PM EST
Matt Kemp stole his 20th base of the season last night, which along with 20 homers puts him halfway to joining the 40-homer, 40-steal club after just 75 games.
Kemp obviously has a long way to go, as getting another 20 homers and 20 steals in the remaining 87 games would be a major accomplishment for anyone, but he’s off to a historic start.
Eric Stephen of True Blue L.A. did some digging and found that Kemp is just the ninth player to reach 20-20 by the midway point (81st game) of a season. Actually, he’s the eighth player, as Canseco did it twice and Barry Bonds, Bobby Bonds, Alex Rodriguez, Alfonso Soriano, Eric Davis, and Ken Williams each did it once.
And Kemp still has another six games to add to his before-the-midway-point totals.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 14
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 59
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)