Jun 22, 2011, 11:51 AM EST
Ivan Rodriguez celebrated the 20th anniversary of his big-league debut Monday, but the Nationals had the day off and then last night he sat on the bench as the man who’s replaced him as the starting catcher, 23-year-old Wilson Ramos, delivered a game-winning homer.
Despite that lack of drama, Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post wrote a nice article about the future Hall of Famer’s first 20 years in the majors, beginning with his first game on June 20, 1991.
Rodriguez was still a teenager then and the Rangers were playing the White Sox, whose catcher was 43-year-old Carlton Fisk, who in addition to being a Hall of Famer is also the original “Pudge.”
At this point Rodriguez is one of the worst hitters in the league, but he’s hit more career home runs as a catcher than anyone in baseball history and is the first catcher to top 2,500 career hits, let alone make a serious run at 3,000. He needs 161 more to get there, which is a tall order for a 39-year-old hitting just .224 while playing a couple times per week.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 75
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 41
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 22
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)