Jun 22, 2011, 1:42 AM EDT
Mother Nature wreaked havoc on U.S. Cellular Field Tuesday night, as a wild thunderstorm hit the contest between the White Sox and the Cubs, causing a 1 hour, 44-minute delay.
Heavy winds made it difficult to get the tarp on the field, leaving the infield a muddy mess for crews to battle after the rain finally stopped. If you watch the video above, you can see it’s a miracle they got the tarp on at all, as it took quite an effort just to get things under control.
- Paul Konerko continued his hot streak, hitting a home run for the fifth straight game. It was his 21st of the season and came off Matt Garza in the second inning. The record for consecutive games with a home run is eight, shared by Ken Griffey Jr., Don Mattingly and Dale Long.
- In a far more random stat, White Sox starter Mark Buehrle came up short in his bid to earn his major league-best 25th interleague win. Buehrle left the game with a 2-1 lead, but Jesse Crain came on after the delay and surrendered a game-tying sac fly to Aramis Ramirez.
- Adam Dunn, who is hitting .175, went 0-for-4 and struck out twice. He has now whiffed 91 times in 217 at-bats this season. Dunn has walked 41 times, though, leading Ozzie Guillen to quip: “I should put Dunn at leadoff because he’s the one who gets on base the most, but instead of striking out four (times), he might strike out six (times).”
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 43
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 33
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)