Jun 22, 2011, 12:46 PM EST
Ronny Cedeno has been benched by manager Clint Hurdle for the second time this season after the Pirates shortstop attempted to bunt with the bases loaded last night before eventually grounding into a double play.
Hurdle declined to specifically attach the benching to that plate appearance, but Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review notes that he grinned when asked about it and instead replied: “The manager picked a day off for Ronny. It’s a good day to regain focus.”
In between Cedeno’s benchings Hurdle also benched Andrew McCutchen for a lack of hustle last month. McCutchen is deserving of an All-Star spot, whereas Cedeno is hitting .232 with a .615 OPS for his sixth straight season with a sub-.700 mark.
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 0
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 34
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 61
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15