Jun 22, 2011, 12:46 PM EDT
Ronny Cedeno has been benched by manager Clint Hurdle for the second time this season after the Pirates shortstop attempted to bunt with the bases loaded last night before eventually grounding into a double play.
Hurdle declined to specifically attach the benching to that plate appearance, but Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review notes that he grinned when asked about it and instead replied: “The manager picked a day off for Ronny. It’s a good day to regain focus.”
In between Cedeno’s benchings Hurdle also benched Andrew McCutchen for a lack of hustle last month. McCutchen is deserving of an All-Star spot, whereas Cedeno is hitting .232 with a .615 OPS for his sixth straight season with a sub-.700 mark.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (213)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (124)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)