Jun 22, 2011, 12:46 PM EDT
Ronny Cedeno has been benched by manager Clint Hurdle for the second time this season after the Pirates shortstop attempted to bunt with the bases loaded last night before eventually grounding into a double play.
Hurdle declined to specifically attach the benching to that plate appearance, but Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review notes that he grinned when asked about it and instead replied: “The manager picked a day off for Ronny. It’s a good day to regain focus.”
In between Cedeno’s benchings Hurdle also benched Andrew McCutchen for a lack of hustle last month. McCutchen is deserving of an All-Star spot, whereas Cedeno is hitting .232 with a .615 OPS for his sixth straight season with a sub-.700 mark.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 13
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 43
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17