Pirates manager Clint Hurdle benches Ronny Cedeno … again

Jun 22, 2011, 12:46 PM EDT

cedeno_ronny

Ronny Cedeno has been benched by manager Clint Hurdle for the second time this season after the Pirates shortstop attempted to bunt with the bases loaded last night before eventually grounding into a double play.

Hurdle declined to specifically attach the benching to that plate appearance, but Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review notes that he grinned when asked about it and instead replied: “The manager picked a day off for Ronny. It’s a good day to regain focus.”

In between Cedeno’s benchings Hurdle also benched Andrew McCutchen for a lack of hustle last month. McCutchen is deserving of an All-Star spot, whereas Cedeno is hitting .232 with a .615 OPS for his sixth straight season with a sub-.700 mark.

1. b7p19 - Jun 22, 2011 at 12:50 PM

“…sixth straight season with a sub-.700 mark”

That really puts Cedeno’s career in prespective. How does this guy with those lines stay in the league?

• trevorb06 - Jun 22, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Because who’re they going to replace him with?

• seanmk - Jun 22, 2011 at 1:16 PM

Cedeno can field to offset his bad hitting. he’s not great defensively but he’s not terrible either. just your average run of the mill replacement level player

2. royalsfaninfargo - Jun 22, 2011 at 1:00 PM

Any mention of the Pirates should include the fact they are 36-37 this late in the year. Clint Hurdle deserves legitimate consideration for Manager of the Year IF they keep this up.

• trevorb06 - Jun 22, 2011 at 1:04 PM

If the Twin’s somehow end up going to the playoffs Gardy will probably get Manager of the Year.

• IdahoMariner - Jun 22, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Clint can be NL Manager of the Year, and Gardy can be AL Manager of the year

• trevorb06 - Jun 22, 2011 at 2:31 PM

I’m not arguing him on Clint or the NL. Thank you for pointing that out though. Although if I were to argue him I’d say Gibson would be more deserving right now. Just my opinion. I’m no expert. Clint is still doing a very good job, I’m not saying he isn’t. He’s taken that group of youngins and really guided them well.

3. yuckygeo - Jun 22, 2011 at 3:39 PM

I’m guessing a Ronny Cedeno for Hanley Ramirez deal is probably dead.

4. itsabergthing - Jun 22, 2011 at 4:21 PM

I’m so tired of Ronny Cedeno. He has never matched the hype that surrounded him coming up through Chicago and has just been nothing more than a waste of space at the big league level. He is nothing more than a back-up middle infielder in my opinion. I wish the Buccos would give Wood, Ciriaco or d’Arnaud a chance to play more often and win the spot. I think any of the three could give you at least Cedeno’s piss poor numbers with adequate D. I am a Ronny Cedeno hater BTW, can’t help it, just can’t stand him as a player, although the mustache thing last year was pretty funny.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet