Jun 22, 2011, 9:49 PM EDT
Tommy Hunter posted a quality 3.73 ERA and 1.24 WHIP in 128 innings last year and was all set to open the 2011 season as Texas’ No. 3 starter.
But he strained his groin at the end of spring training and has been on the disabled list since.
Hunter has made a number of rehab appearances, but the results have not been overwhelmingly positive and the Rangers are now thinking about a creative alternative. They want to change his role.
According to Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, the 24-year-old Hunter has begun making rehab appearances out of the bullpen at Triple-A Round Rock and could be used as a long reliever temporarily once he is medically cleared to return to the major leagues.
“It’s to see if he can do it, see how he recovers,” manager Ron Washington said. “That’s not in stone.”
The Rangers would certainly prefer to have Hunter at his best and a member of the rotation, but their starting pitching has been solid this season thanks to the emergence of Alexi Ogando and Matt Harrison, and Hunter could always make spot starts down the stretch if he begins showing signs of life in long relief.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 9
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 32
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 240
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (242)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)