Sign a petition to have Vin Scully call the World Series this year

Jun 22, 2011, 8:57 AM EST

Vin Scully AP

I tend not to put too much stock in the efficacy of online petitions — big corporations are gonna do what big corporations are gonna do — but I’ll endorse this one because (a) it’s a fabulous idea; and (b) it helps cleanse the palate a bit after that bile I’m feeling towards the Dodgers right now.

The cause: getting Fox to put Vin Scully in the booth for this year’s World Series, which would both be a great career capper for Scully but, more importantly, would make our World Series viewing experience infinitely better. Here’s the cause in The Daily ‘Stache’s own words:

To:  Fox Corporation

Vin Scully, the greatest baseball announcer of all time has not called a World Series Game on Television since Game 5 of the 1988 World Series when his Dodgers defeated the Mighty A’s. As his career comes closer to an end, I feel that this great man and broadcaster needs to have one more chance to shine when the stage shines the brightest, The World Series. Join me in this push to have him get one more chance to crown a World Champion in the way it should always be done, with class, diginity and honor, the way he has done it for over 60 years.

I don’t think Joe Buck would mind if he was asked to step aside for one World Series, do you?  It would allow him to rest that raspy voice he’s been fighting this year (and even if he didn’t rest it, it would allow him to concentrate more on NFL games, which he clearly prefers). As for Scully, well, he has it set up so he doesn’t travel out of the NL West for Dodgers road games, but I would hope he’d make an exception in this case.

A pipe dream? Yeah, but what’s wrong with an occasional dream?

Vote early and rig your IP address or whatever so you can vote often.

1. dink53 - Jun 22, 2011 at 9:20 AM

Buck sounds like he’s officiating a funeral. Could we lose McCarver as a package deal? That’s the most annoying set of announcers in baseball, since Jon Miller and Little Joe departed.

• royalsfaninfargo - Jun 22, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Or maybe trade McCarver for Scully and have Vin spend the entire series making Joe Buck feel like the only way he got his job is because of his daddy.

• jeffa43 - Jun 22, 2011 at 12:22 PM

I am a long time baseball fan, with many loyal baseball friends….. We all feel exactly the same as you…. Buck could say I need to go to the bathroom, the same way he describes a walk off….

His Dad was awesome, and he is on the otherside of the awesome spectrum…. Please, please, no more Buck and McCarver….

Sick of McCarver calling WHO EVER is playing, the best at what they do in the league….. It was old a decade ago…. perfect comment dink53.

2. kellyb9 - Jun 22, 2011 at 9:29 AM

Here’s my opinion… take it or leave it. It should be two announcers, one from each team. They’ve been calling their team’s games all year, and they deserve to be able to call the most important games. They also have much more insight into each player. If we can’t do this, Vin Scully is a very, very close second.

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 22, 2011 at 9:33 AM

You’re inviting John Sterling to announce the World Series on tv? Hopoe you don’t have a 3-D model.

• Kevin S. - Jun 22, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Actually, I’d probably pick Ken Singleton to do the color if the Yankees were to win the pennant. And if the Dodgers were up against them, I actually think he’d mesh with Scully pretty well.

• garlicfriesandbaseball - Jun 22, 2011 at 5:11 PM

I agree it should be announcers from each team – but it should be the home team announcers when the team plays at home and vice-versa. It sure would avoid having to go to the old walkman and to listen to the World Series on radio while watching delayed TV, which is what I did this past entire playoff season. It was so irritating I was compelled to blog about it which I did.

View the blog and short video: http://wp.me/pV4Gn-hu

3. dodger88 - Jun 22, 2011 at 9:34 AM

A couple of years ago I bought the box set of the 1988 World Series, which includes the NBC broadcast with Vin Scully calling the games. What a voice, what a story teller.

I grew up in Montreal and was lucky enough to listen to Dave Van Horne call Expo games but there was nothing I looked forward to more than the NBC game of the week. It did not matter to me who played, although I loved it when I got to see the Dodgers; most weeks I got to hear Vin Scully call the game with Joe Garagiola doing colour. So many of my early baseball experiences, which form my foundation as a fan of this great game, are tied to his voice, his thoughts, impressions and the beautiful understated manner that is rarely found today.

As a first time subscriber to MLB.TV, I am for the first time enjoying Vin Scully on a regular basis and as I know there is an unknown but limited time left in his amazing career, I cherish each call he makes. I would enjoy nothing more than to hear Vin Scully on the World Series stage one more time. I would look forward to it more than anything and it would not matter to me who played.

Long Live Vin Scully.

4. yankeesfanlen - Jun 22, 2011 at 9:38 AM

I voted and within seconds got an email with my confirmation number. Next came an invite from Betsy at PePe’s Boom-Boom room to see genuine Ho-Ho-Kus hoochie-coochie. 10% off first first lap dance, also valid in their new Secaucus location. Target marketing at it’s finest!

• Jonny 5 - Jun 22, 2011 at 9:57 AM

No Len, that was probably me. I put your e-mail address in the box there for a free lap dance coupon. You can thank me later.

5. aceshigh11 - Jun 22, 2011 at 9:51 AM

“Little roller up along first…

Behind the bag! It gets through Buckner…here comes Knight and the Mets WIN IT!”

Gotta love Vin.

• jeffa43 - Jun 22, 2011 at 12:25 PM

“There is a shallow pop up to left, and another parachute lands safely!”

6. wonkypenguin - Jun 22, 2011 at 10:04 AM

Yes. Yes yes yes. Vin Scully does things that Joe Buck can’t even imagine doing and tells stories that would make Tim McCarver’s head explode due to them being “overwhelmingly relevant” and “interesting,” two things he knows nothing about.

Please, FOX. Please.

7. halladaysbicepts - Jun 22, 2011 at 10:18 AM

Whomever they have call the World Series this year, I just hope that they don’t have a bias towards the Phillies in the series.

• kellyb9 - Jun 22, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Yeah, I don’t think that’ll be a problem with Joe Buck in the booth. On an unrelated side note, did Fox clone Joe Buck? I swear he does 2 or 3 football games every sunday.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 22, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Yeah, Joe Buck is like a virus. He spreads to multiple sports venues in a given day. The Fox scientists have replicated his DNA genome into a virus. I think there is a Joe Buck viral strain in every city in the U.S.

8. yettyskills - Jun 22, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Well considering Joe Buck doesnt even like baseball, im sure he wont mind

9. cur68 - Jun 22, 2011 at 10:33 AM

I forget who was at the plate but Vin referred to him as having ‘huge thighs’. That needs to be part of the World Series. Got my vote.

• Ace - Jun 22, 2011 at 11:02 AM

Frank Thomas? I didn’t hear the call you’re referring to, but his name just springs spontaneously to mind when you say “huge thighs.”

• dodger88 - Jun 22, 2011 at 11:11 AM

It was Brett Wallace of Houston that Vin referred to has having huge thighs.

• cur68 - Jun 22, 2011 at 11:50 AM

YES! And man, his thighs were enormous. I am disturbed that I even looked, but the part of me that likes going to the zoo and staring at the gorillas was keenly interested in Wallace’s thighs. I swear the first thought that popped into my head was; “each pant leg would easily hold a Vin Scully with room left over for the color man”.

• jeffa43 - Jun 22, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Brett Wallace Houston… huge thighs….

and another Dodger double play! …. I dont even like the Doijers…. but, I understand I need to listen to him as much as I can, before he hangs them up…

10. whiteyandharry - Jun 22, 2011 at 11:22 AM

You want to honor Scully? Let him do the All Star Game . . . if, in fact, that is an honor! Broadcasting the World Series should go to the primary announcers of the two teams in the World Series. Dodgers don’t look like they will be there for years and years to come.

11. deathmonkey41 - Jun 22, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Meh- the only online petition I’d be interested in signing is the one to ban Chris Berman from ever doing another Yankees game ever again. God, he makes watching sports so not fun.

12. natstowngreg - Jun 22, 2011 at 1:57 PM

About 3 years ago, I bought MLB Extra Innings from the local cable provider. Started going through the channels, and the first game I found, there was Vin Scully. I decided immediately that this was a good investment.

13. xmatt0926x - Jun 22, 2011 at 3:37 PM

What does joe Buck do that enrages everyone? I never got it. I get the whole McCarver thing. He’s way too analytical and basically speaks as if the viewer as if we are children who needs the easiest detail explained to them. That phony midwest/cowboy accent that he uses is annoying as well, but I never got why people hate Joe Buck so much. I think he’s just become one of those things that people boo because its become the thing to do. He’s like Microsoft or the videogame company who’s console you don’t own. You boo it because it’s the thing to do but you really have no idea what you are actually booing.

14. lanflfan - Jun 22, 2011 at 4:28 PM

Count me in. Some nights/days, Vin Scully is the only good thing the Dodgers have going. I’ve heard lots of different announcers call Kirk Gibson’s World Series home run, but Vin Scully is the best.

Concur on McCarver, just another former player who needs to be let the game go. Can’t stand him.

I enjoy Joe Buck on FOX NFL, but I don’t think his “style” suits baseball.

15. bigtrav425 - Jun 22, 2011 at 7:16 PM

Id take ANYONE besides Buck,McCarver and Costas calling the WS.They are all 3 that bad and/or annoying!! every time i watch the WS anymore i seriously wanna take a fork and gouge out my ear drums

16. schmedley69 - Jun 22, 2011 at 9:48 PM

Joe Buck takes half the season off anyway and when he actually is there gives off the impression that he’d rather be doing something else. Enough of Buck and McCarver already. Why does McCarver always have to come along when the tv contract goes to another network? He’s gone from ABC to CBS to Fox. I think baseball can survive quite nicely without that windbag.

I miss Vin and Joe G. doing the game of the week on NBC. Those were the days.

17. macjacmccoy - Jun 23, 2011 at 8:42 AM

If it means Joe Buck wont be calling the game and as long as the Dodgers arent in it Im all for it.

18. 1chinatown - Aug 29, 2011 at 12:57 PM

I want elegance, class, and a dignified play by play man.
    That is Vin Scully, period.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester