Jun 22, 2011, 8:57 AM EDT
I tend not to put too much stock in the efficacy of online petitions — big corporations are gonna do what big corporations are gonna do — but I’ll endorse this one because (a) it’s a fabulous idea; and (b) it helps cleanse the palate a bit after that bile I’m feeling towards the Dodgers right now.
The cause: getting Fox to put Vin Scully in the booth for this year’s World Series, which would both be a great career capper for Scully but, more importantly, would make our World Series viewing experience infinitely better. Here’s the cause in The Daily ‘Stache’s own words:
To: Fox Corporation
Vin Scully, the greatest baseball announcer of all time has not called a World Series Game on Television since Game 5 of the 1988 World Series when his Dodgers defeated the Mighty A’s. As his career comes closer to an end, I feel that this great man and broadcaster needs to have one more chance to shine when the stage shines the brightest, The World Series. Join me in this push to have him get one more chance to crown a World Champion in the way it should always be done, with class, diginity and honor, the way he has done it for over 60 years.
I don’t think Joe Buck would mind if he was asked to step aside for one World Series, do you? It would allow him to rest that raspy voice he’s been fighting this year (and even if he didn’t rest it, it would allow him to concentrate more on NFL games, which he clearly prefers). As for Scully, well, he has it set up so he doesn’t travel out of the NL West for Dodgers road games, but I would hope he’d make an exception in this case.
A pipe dream? Yeah, but what’s wrong with an occasional dream?
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 21
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 38
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 21
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 32
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (164)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)