Jun 22, 2011, 8:57 AM EDT
I tend not to put too much stock in the efficacy of online petitions — big corporations are gonna do what big corporations are gonna do — but I’ll endorse this one because (a) it’s a fabulous idea; and (b) it helps cleanse the palate a bit after that bile I’m feeling towards the Dodgers right now.
The cause: getting Fox to put Vin Scully in the booth for this year’s World Series, which would both be a great career capper for Scully but, more importantly, would make our World Series viewing experience infinitely better. Here’s the cause in The Daily ‘Stache’s own words:
To: Fox Corporation
Vin Scully, the greatest baseball announcer of all time has not called a World Series Game on Television since Game 5 of the 1988 World Series when his Dodgers defeated the Mighty A’s. As his career comes closer to an end, I feel that this great man and broadcaster needs to have one more chance to shine when the stage shines the brightest, The World Series. Join me in this push to have him get one more chance to crown a World Champion in the way it should always be done, with class, diginity and honor, the way he has done it for over 60 years.
I don’t think Joe Buck would mind if he was asked to step aside for one World Series, do you? It would allow him to rest that raspy voice he’s been fighting this year (and even if he didn’t rest it, it would allow him to concentrate more on NFL games, which he clearly prefers). As for Scully, well, he has it set up so he doesn’t travel out of the NL West for Dodgers road games, but I would hope he’d make an exception in this case.
A pipe dream? Yeah, but what’s wrong with an occasional dream?
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 5
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 31
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 62
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 50
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 80
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 114
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)