Jun 22, 2011, 8:57 AM EDT
I tend not to put too much stock in the efficacy of online petitions — big corporations are gonna do what big corporations are gonna do — but I’ll endorse this one because (a) it’s a fabulous idea; and (b) it helps cleanse the palate a bit after that bile I’m feeling towards the Dodgers right now.
The cause: getting Fox to put Vin Scully in the booth for this year’s World Series, which would both be a great career capper for Scully but, more importantly, would make our World Series viewing experience infinitely better. Here’s the cause in The Daily ‘Stache’s own words:
To: Fox Corporation
Vin Scully, the greatest baseball announcer of all time has not called a World Series Game on Television since Game 5 of the 1988 World Series when his Dodgers defeated the Mighty A’s. As his career comes closer to an end, I feel that this great man and broadcaster needs to have one more chance to shine when the stage shines the brightest, The World Series. Join me in this push to have him get one more chance to crown a World Champion in the way it should always be done, with class, diginity and honor, the way he has done it for over 60 years.
I don’t think Joe Buck would mind if he was asked to step aside for one World Series, do you? It would allow him to rest that raspy voice he’s been fighting this year (and even if he didn’t rest it, it would allow him to concentrate more on NFL games, which he clearly prefers). As for Scully, well, he has it set up so he doesn’t travel out of the NL West for Dodgers road games, but I would hope he’d make an exception in this case.
A pipe dream? Yeah, but what’s wrong with an occasional dream?
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)