Jun 22, 2011, 8:57 AM EDT
I tend not to put too much stock in the efficacy of online petitions — big corporations are gonna do what big corporations are gonna do — but I’ll endorse this one because (a) it’s a fabulous idea; and (b) it helps cleanse the palate a bit after that bile I’m feeling towards the Dodgers right now.
The cause: getting Fox to put Vin Scully in the booth for this year’s World Series, which would both be a great career capper for Scully but, more importantly, would make our World Series viewing experience infinitely better. Here’s the cause in The Daily ‘Stache’s own words:
To: Fox Corporation
Vin Scully, the greatest baseball announcer of all time has not called a World Series Game on Television since Game 5 of the 1988 World Series when his Dodgers defeated the Mighty A’s. As his career comes closer to an end, I feel that this great man and broadcaster needs to have one more chance to shine when the stage shines the brightest, The World Series. Join me in this push to have him get one more chance to crown a World Champion in the way it should always be done, with class, diginity and honor, the way he has done it for over 60 years.
I don’t think Joe Buck would mind if he was asked to step aside for one World Series, do you? It would allow him to rest that raspy voice he’s been fighting this year (and even if he didn’t rest it, it would allow him to concentrate more on NFL games, which he clearly prefers). As for Scully, well, he has it set up so he doesn’t travel out of the NL West for Dodgers road games, but I would hope he’d make an exception in this case.
A pipe dream? Yeah, but what’s wrong with an occasional dream?
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 2
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 17
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 12
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 38
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 25
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)