Jun 22, 2011, 8:57 AM EST
I tend not to put too much stock in the efficacy of online petitions — big corporations are gonna do what big corporations are gonna do — but I’ll endorse this one because (a) it’s a fabulous idea; and (b) it helps cleanse the palate a bit after that bile I’m feeling towards the Dodgers right now.
The cause: getting Fox to put Vin Scully in the booth for this year’s World Series, which would both be a great career capper for Scully but, more importantly, would make our World Series viewing experience infinitely better. Here’s the cause in The Daily ‘Stache’s own words:
To: Fox Corporation
Vin Scully, the greatest baseball announcer of all time has not called a World Series Game on Television since Game 5 of the 1988 World Series when his Dodgers defeated the Mighty A’s. As his career comes closer to an end, I feel that this great man and broadcaster needs to have one more chance to shine when the stage shines the brightest, The World Series. Join me in this push to have him get one more chance to crown a World Champion in the way it should always be done, with class, diginity and honor, the way he has done it for over 60 years.
I don’t think Joe Buck would mind if he was asked to step aside for one World Series, do you? It would allow him to rest that raspy voice he’s been fighting this year (and even if he didn’t rest it, it would allow him to concentrate more on NFL games, which he clearly prefers). As for Scully, well, he has it set up so he doesn’t travel out of the NL West for Dodgers road games, but I would hope he’d make an exception in this case.
A pipe dream? Yeah, but what’s wrong with an occasional dream?
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 103
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 9
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 28
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 34
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (117)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)