A fan Bartmaned a ball at AT&T Park last night

Jun 23, 2011, 8:46 AM EDT

Rage WTF

It ended up not impacting the game, but this is a serious code violation: A Giants fan sitting along the left-field line at AT&T Park last night snagged a foul ball that Giants outfielder Cody Ross could have caught in the sixth inning. Here’s the play.

I love how the fan mouths the words “oh shucks!” — at least that’s what I think he said — as soon as he catches it, realizing the error of his ways.

But people: if you’re sitting along the lines, you interfere with the visiting team’s players if they come over for a ball. You do it subtly so you don’t look like a total ass, but you put some effort into messing with them.  When your guy comes over, however, clear out. How hard is that?

Note: this does not apply to the gentleman in the Twins jersey who almost interfered with the ball.  He was totally within his rights as a Twins fan in hostile territory to mess with Ross. That’s just a law of nature.

1. phukyouk - Jun 23, 2011 at 9:07 AM

ummmmmmm… link is wrong? or are you just messing with us

• Jonny 5 - Jun 23, 2011 at 9:12 AM

Scroll down on the arrow where the video frames are. It’s there.

2. FC - Jun 23, 2011 at 9:16 AM

The play is highlighted in the recap but yeah that’s the wrong link.

3. Jonny 5 - Jun 23, 2011 at 9:16 AM

Just happened in Philly too last home stand. Howard had a talking to with the guy though. Again, after the fact the guy realized he screwed up.

4. rateyourseats - Jun 23, 2011 at 9:24 AM

Were you at the game last night and sitting near this guy? If so, rate your seats on RateYourSeats.com (http://www.rateyourseats.com) to help other fans find the best seats in the ballpark. Or if you’re buying tickets soon, browse ratings, read reviews and view pictures from the exact seats you’ll be sitting in.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 23, 2011 at 10:14 AM

Booooo! Booo this comment! BOOOOOOO!

5. cur68 - Jun 23, 2011 at 9:31 AM

I can’t really blame that guy. He was watching the play and the ball was coming right to him. Not everyone’s a pro athlete who can multi task to track a ball, other fans, and keep the location of the ball in mind relative to the fielder. Hell, for all he knew, if he missed that thing it hits the people next to him. I think he did the right thing from a safety perspective. Better than the guy who bailed out and left his girl friend to fend for herself.

• Detroit Michael - Jun 23, 2011 at 10:14 AM

I’d blame the guy (but not make him miserable for the rest of his life like Cubs fans treated Steve Bartman). He brought a glove to a home game, so he’s clearly thinking in advance about catching a foul ball. It’s not a hard rule to give the right of way to the home team’s fielders.

• cur68 - Jun 23, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Your point on the glove but not the ‘rule’ part. He clearly understood the rule as evidenced by the look on his face after he realized Ross was in his lap trying to field the damn thing. My point is though is that he isn’t a pro athlete and he really had a small amount of time to react to a relatively complex situation with people all around him. I’ve been in spots like that; you get tunnel vision and go deaf (or so it seems). In fact he’s got a reasonable argument to say that if he lets it go it hits the people next to him who reasonably expected him to field it. He did a right thing (not THE right thing, but better than doing nothing).

• kopy - Jun 23, 2011 at 10:47 AM

cur has a good point. I sat in the handicapped section once at Target Field, which is basically the “screaming foul liners that go just past the dugout and are 10 feet foul” territory. I literally sat next to the ball boy in his on-field chair. I brought my glove, knowing I was going to be sitting there, and I’m really glad I did.

The “ball boy” was actually a grounds crew worker who filled in at the last minute, so I didn’t really trust him to catch a ball. Also, I could still steal a ball from Billy Butler, who was playing first base for the Royals, but get out of Morneau’s way (I knew not to lean over the invisible wall to “steal” a ball from Butler). But the key that cur brings up, is my being a young, athletic dude gave me a de facto responsibility to try catching balls that would otherwise hit the handicapped folks. It’s harder to get out of the way when you’re in a wheelchair and/or mentally handicapped.

6. shaggylocks - Jun 23, 2011 at 9:41 AM

I do appreciate that the guy immediately and very clearly realized that he had messed up.

• kopy - Jun 23, 2011 at 11:04 AM

It almost appears like the fan was aware of the game situation, but had his eyes on the ball the whole time. Then he got upset when he looked over and realized that Ross probably would have made the play. I bet that, when he caught the ball, he didn’t think there was a player within 20 feet, and so he figured all was good.

7. dbick - Jun 23, 2011 at 9:41 AM

Respect for using the “WTF?” Rageface guy. Much respect.

8. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jun 23, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Did the team’s shortstop then boot an easy double player grounder, somehow escaping blame while an entire city blames a fan who tried to reach for a foul ball? Because then he’d be like Bartman.

9. The Dangerous Mabry - Jun 23, 2011 at 10:03 AM

You know what they say. Everybody if you can, do the Bartman.

10. stevem7 - Jun 23, 2011 at 11:54 AM

The fan was completely and totally within his rights to catch the ball. He did not reach over and more importantly he did not INTERFERE with the player. Rather, the player was in the fan’s field of play and was interfering with the fan.

11. The Baseball Idiot - Jun 23, 2011 at 12:16 PM

Surely this must be the fault of an umpire somehow. Was Bob in the house last night?

Time to replace all the umpires with cameras in every seat to ensure that this never happens again.

12. Andrew - Jun 23, 2011 at 12:37 PM

As a fan, I probably would have attempted to avoid catching the ball if I had known my team’s fielder could make a play. But, as we see with this fan (and as many others have pointed out), it seems like he was caught up in the moment and didn’t realize his mistake with catching the ball until after he saw Cody Ross laying right next to him.

Poor Steve Bartman. May some lucky breaks come his way, a la the VUP from Ocean’s 13.

13. Kevin S. - Jun 23, 2011 at 12:38 PM

I disagree that you do it subtly so as not to look like an ass. If a visitor’s glove breaks the plane of the stands, rip it off, knock the ball out, do whatever. Your turf, man.

Of course, if there was instant replay to prove that it was in fact your turf and not interference, that would be awesome. Because I wouldn’t trust umps not to give the player the benefit of the doubt.

14. sayheykidwschamp - Jun 23, 2011 at 2:41 PM

This was hardly a Bartman moment in my opinion because it meant very little to the overall game. There was a lot more riding on the Bartman catch/interference for the Cubs.

The guy screwed up in that he did mess with the home team, but it was not worthy of being booted…those seats are expensive down that line. But he wore the shame of the moment and that is bad enough. No reason to ride a guy for a minor incident.

But last year during the playoffs, one of my best friends had the luxury of a 1B front row seat and everyone kept reminding everyone to stay back on grounders and popups because there is very little room on the sidelines at AT&T and a fan could easily become a part of the game and cause some kind of meaningful interference.

C’mon people, yes it’s fun to get a ball, but people are just getting a little too ridiculous with the chance to get one. And unless it is a special HR ball or something, just give it up to a kid near you. It means so much more to them.

15. chris1815 - Jun 24, 2011 at 4:25 PM

Did anyone else notice that earlier on the same day as this play that Tribeca Film and ESPN released the Steve Bartman documentary “Catching Hell”, via their On Demand service? Thats too weird and eerie to be a coincidence.

Here’s the trailer: http://www.tribecafilm.com/watch-now/catching_hell-film36433.html

Three legends off to Cooperstown