Jun 23, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
Willingham hasn’t hit well in his first season with the A’s, batting just .231 with 10 homers and a .718 OPS after posting an OPS above .800 in each of the previous five seasons.
Chris Carter has been called up from Triple-A and the 24-year-old prospect’s numbers at Triple-A suggest he’s capable of replacing Willingham’s production and more, but a lingering injury would make it tough for the A’s to get decent value out of Willingham before the July 31 trading deadline.
Willingham was acquired from the Nationals in December for reliever Henry Rodriguez and outfield prospect Corey Brown, but he’s been a huge disappointment while earning $6 million.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 19
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 9
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 89
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (89)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)