Jun 23, 2011, 10:47 AM EST
Willingham hasn’t hit well in his first season with the A’s, batting just .231 with 10 homers and a .718 OPS after posting an OPS above .800 in each of the previous five seasons.
Chris Carter has been called up from Triple-A and the 24-year-old prospect’s numbers at Triple-A suggest he’s capable of replacing Willingham’s production and more, but a lingering injury would make it tough for the A’s to get decent value out of Willingham before the July 31 trading deadline.
Willingham was acquired from the Nationals in December for reliever Henry Rodriguez and outfield prospect Corey Brown, but he’s been a huge disappointment while earning $6 million.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (133)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)