Jun 23, 2011, 3:15 PM EDT
Figgins has been the No. 2 hitter for most of the past season-and-a-half and still has another two years and $17 million left on his contract, but he’s been so abysmal that Adam Kennedy is taking his playing time at third base since Ackley was called up to play second base.
Asked specifically about Figgins’ role, manager Eric Wedge told Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times:
He’s just not going to get as much playing time. He knows that. He wants to get going more than anybody. I want him to get going more than anybody, but he’s in between right now. That’s not where you want to be. We’ll pick our spots to get him in there, and hopefully he can start heading in the right direction.
Regardless of what you thought of the Mariners’ decision to give Figgins a four-year, $36 million deal as a free agent his complete collapse since signing the deal has been shocking. Figgins hit .291 with a .363 on-base percentage in 936 games for the Angels, but he’s hit just .239 with a .312 on-base percentage in 225 games for the Mariners. And even his base-stealing has fallen apart, as he’s just 8-for-14 on steals this season after going 42-for-57 in 2010.
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 21
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)