Jun 23, 2011, 2:14 PM EST
You know what, I’m going to speak as a fan, not as a player. I definitely have to get my head out of my butt, pretty much. Simple as that. I have to stop these pathetic outings; they’re really pathetic. I just have to get it done, I have to find a way to go out there and be more aggressive, start making quality pitches, and start getting people out. Because it’s been really embarrassing this month, pretty much.
I like everything about that quote, from the fact that he actually said “butt” instead of something that needed censoring to his repeated use of “pretty much.”
Rodriguez blew his first save chance of the season back in April, converted 19 straight saves, and has now blown saves in back-to-back appearances. Yet for all the criticism he’s taken and for how critical of himself he is in that quote Rodriguez is actually having a very good season with a 3.34 ERA and 41/14 K/BB ratio in 35 innings, including seven straight outings without issuing a walk.
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 51
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 24