Frank McCourt has paid back hundreds of thousands in questionable Dodgers charity salary expenditures

Jun 23, 2011, 8:25 AM EDT

McCourt Divorce Trial Continues With Ownership Of Dodgers In Contention Getty Images

If Frank McCourt only misses the June 30th payroll by only $122,000, we know why! Jim Peltz and Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times report:

Dodgers owner Frank McCourt repaid more than $100,000 to a team charity after the state attorney general found the funds had been used primarily for the benefit of the club’s former chief executive, Jamie McCourt.

McCourt paid that back in March.  This payback is not to be confused with the money McCourt paid back in connection with the $400,000 the charity — the Dodger Dream Foundation — paid the Dodgers’ lobbyist Howard Sunkin in 2007. $400,000 from a charity whose total charitable assets were something less than $2 million at the time state authorities became aware of Sunkin’s payment. The Dodgers have another charity — a cancer charity — which has also seen excessive payments to executives, though it’s unclear what kind of scrutiny that has come under from state or federal officials.

And no, I would not be surprised if federal officials were paying attention to this on some level. When you’re dealing with charities, you’re dealing with tax deductible money.  And the IRS cares if tax deductible money is going to executives for decidedly non-charitable purposes.

But by all means, Frank, introduce some “acrimonious and extreme litigation” into all of this so that this stuff can be discovered and scrutinized more.

1. captainwisdom8888 - Jun 23, 2011 at 8:36 AM

My wife will not be assuming any of my assets. If she asks me what time it is, I’ll tell her there’s a clock above the stove…get to it.

• CJ - Jun 23, 2011 at 9:16 AM

lol…reminds me of an old saying from a friend “Woman. Kitchen. Pie.” …or is it cake?

• Old Gator - Jun 23, 2011 at 12:36 PM

I’m leaving my ex-wife all my debts.

2. visnovsky - Jun 23, 2011 at 9:26 AM

When it comes to the McCourts, is mob justice legal?

3. lar @ wezen-ball - Jun 23, 2011 at 9:27 AM

Is this the same charity that Dodgers players were required to donate to in their contracts?

• Ralph - Jun 23, 2011 at 9:45 AM

Exactly the same thing that I was wondering. What a crook this guy is…

• Old Gator - Jun 23, 2011 at 12:38 PM

Sounds like Frank was sitting up late watching Death to Smoochy on cable.

4. JBerardi - Jun 23, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Why do I have a feeling that this is only going to get worse? It’s like in another week we’re going to find out he was actually funneling this money to Al-qaeda or something…

• Andrew - Jun 23, 2011 at 12:41 PM

More like building homes for Saddam Hussein look-alikes.

5. tuftsb - Jun 23, 2011 at 10:25 AM

I wrote about this a few months ago.

The old “steal a few million and give back half of it” ploy to look like a benefactor. McCourt has taken the other people’s money theory to new heights.

I think that the MLBPA should send out a warning letter to its players regarding any donations to these charities, as the tax deductibility of the gift may be in question.

6. aleskel - Jun 23, 2011 at 10:42 AM

You know, Whitey Bulger was just apprehended in Santa Monica …

And McCourt is a Boston guy …

Hmmmmm …

• tuftsb - Jun 23, 2011 at 10:58 AM

“Whitey Bulger” sounds like a nickname for Anthony Weiner….

7. rcali - Jun 23, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Makes me wonder where all the money goes that we constantly get begged for at stores we are shopping at.

1. H. Pence (2182)