Jun 23, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT
Contreras was previously on the DL for five weeks beginning in late April and allowed six runs in six innings since returning, giving him a 3.86 ERA and 13/8 K/BB ratio in 14 innings overall this season.
Juan Perez has been called up from Triple-A to take Contreras’ place on the roster and in the bullpen, but the 32-year-old journeyman isn’t likely to be used as more than a middle man despite 41 strikeouts (and 21 walks) in 31 innings at Triple-A.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 54
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 34
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 213
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 31
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 42
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (211)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (103)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)