Jun 23, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT
Contreras was previously on the DL for five weeks beginning in late April and allowed six runs in six innings since returning, giving him a 3.86 ERA and 13/8 K/BB ratio in 14 innings overall this season.
Juan Perez has been called up from Triple-A to take Contreras’ place on the roster and in the bullpen, but the 32-year-old journeyman isn’t likely to be used as more than a middle man despite 41 strikeouts (and 21 walks) in 31 innings at Triple-A.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 16
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 58
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 53
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 46
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 17
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)