Jun 23, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT
Contreras was previously on the DL for five weeks beginning in late April and allowed six runs in six innings since returning, giving him a 3.86 ERA and 13/8 K/BB ratio in 14 innings overall this season.
Juan Perez has been called up from Triple-A to take Contreras’ place on the roster and in the bullpen, but the 32-year-old journeyman isn’t likely to be used as more than a middle man despite 41 strikeouts (and 21 walks) in 31 innings at Triple-A.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)