No, Jose Reyes is not going to the Yankees

Jun 23, 2011, 11:30 AM EDT

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim v New York Mets Getty Images

There are some folks out there — not really folks with media credentials or any special insight, but folks all the same, usually in blog comments sections — who like to pretend that Jose Reyes is going to be a New York Yankee at some point soon.  They can probably apply their minds in a different direction now, however, because Brian Cashman is trying his best to nip that talk in the bud. Here is, talking to the Daily News:

“That’s just not going to happen. We have an everyday shortstop in Derek Jeter. And I think we have an everyday shortstop that would be playing for a lot of clubs in Eduardo Nuñez. The Yankees don’t have a need now or in the future for a shortstop.”

Watch tomorrow: there will be a story about how Cashman didn’t rule out a pan-dimensional need for a shortstop, opening the door for a potential Reyes trade!

1. yankeesfanlen - Jun 23, 2011 at 11:34 AM

What kind of person would go to a blog comments section and sanction such heresy? Reyes is a “True Metropolitan”.
    But I can have hime on my fantasy team, can;’t I?

• uyf1950 - Jun 23, 2011 at 12:08 PM

Some team, unfortunately not the Yankees are going to get themselves one very good SS for a long time.

2. halladaysbicepts - Jun 23, 2011 at 11:35 AM

I’ll make this simple: Jose Reyes will me a Mutt for the rest of the season. No team is going to trade the amount/quality of prospects it will take to get him and sign him in the off-season.

Reyes will walk after the season and will probably be signed by a team like the Giants.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 23, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Thanks for clearly this up. I was beginning to stress.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 23, 2011 at 11:43 AM

clearing…duh

• aceshigh11 - Jun 23, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Winning?

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 23, 2011 at 11:48 AM

You agree, correct? No one is going to trade for him being that it will take a ransom to aquire him.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 23, 2011 at 11:49 AM

aceshigh11,

You thumbed up your own comment. Winning?

• aceshigh11 - Jun 23, 2011 at 12:23 PM

I’m just tired of seeing all the thumbs down totals when you post. I feel bad for you, man.

• Ari Collins - Jun 23, 2011 at 2:20 PM

The only way no one trades for Jose Reyes is if the Mets lock him up (which they probably won’t, considering they need to rebuild and he claims he won’t negotiate in-season) or the Mets hold to a price for him that no one will meet (unlikely considering they’re under new, smarter management).

There will be a bidding war and the Mets will take the best offer.

(And of course, no, it won’t be an offer from the Yankees.)

3. writtenbyross - Jun 23, 2011 at 11:44 AM

I named that blogger in 16 words! :-)

4. aceshigh11 - Jun 23, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Seems like Derek Jeter controls the Yankees rather than Cashman, Levine or the Steinbrenners.

5. Kevin S. - Jun 23, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Reason 6836 the Jeter contract was terrible – Jose Reyes would be infinitely better for the Yankees going forward. Too bad they cut themselves off from him.

• uyf1950 - Jun 23, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Yes it is. But life, baseball and the Yankees will go on.

6. FC - Jun 23, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Cashman had no choice, could you imagine Jeter going for hit #3000 in a uniform that isn’t the Yankees? Cashman’s head would have been on a spike on display in New Yankee Stadium by this time.

• uyf1950 - Jun 23, 2011 at 1:15 PM

Truer words were never spoken. However having said that I take Cashman at his word in this case. He has been very candid of late.

• Kevin S. - Jun 23, 2011 at 1:16 PM

Did you hear the reaction from the Yankee fanverse? A sizable portion of them were displeased with this deal and would have rather moved on. Winning cures all, and they stood a better chance of winning by not resigning Jeter.

• uyf1950 - Jun 23, 2011 at 1:34 PM

I was one of the Yankees fans that thought 1 year 2 max for Jeter. Teams just don’t win with 38 or 39 year old SS. I like Jeter, he’s had a great career and been paid very, very well by the Yankees. But I also have and always will believe the team comes first. Unfortunately, in my opinion I will say that again, in my opinion Jeter feels he is bigger than the team. It’s my hope that Jeter will take a cue from Andy Petttitte and retire with grace before his skills have eroded past the point of no return. Again, in my opinion and I’m sure others will disagree but that is no later then the end of the 2012 season.

7. yournuts - Jun 23, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Kevin S, you don’t know what your talking about! You should keep your STUPID opinions to yourself. We YANKEE fans don’t want Jose Reyes. He has been in Met land for 8 long years and this is this best first half season, and this is his free agent year. He clearly is only looking for money and has not produced in crunch time. Championships are won in September and October not in May and June. Jeter is a Winner, 5 rings, Captain of the Yankees, he knows that the season is long. He will be there in September and October and TRUE Yankee fans know this. We don’t need to read these STUPID blogs by Ignorant baseball fools that need to express their total ignorance. I trust Brian Cashman and Joe Girardi, they know what is best for the team. The Yankees are tied with the Red Sox in the loss column and this is in June and the Yankees are not hitting well and the Red Sox are on a tear. WAKE UP. THE YANKEES STAND A MUCH BETTER CHANCE OF WINNING WITH JETER.

• Kevin S. - Jun 23, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Wow, I couldn’t quite read through the wall of caps and stupid, but while Jeter had a great career, he went into last offseason as a major question mark with regards to whether or not he had gone over the cliff, and should have either gotten a contract that reflected this uncertainty or been moved on from if he was unwilling to take such a deal. Players get old. It is an inescapable fact, and just because Derek Jeter was the better player the previous five years does not mean he will be the better player the next five years. Further, you have shown you have no understanding of Jose Reyes’ value. He’s a plus defender at short, a demon on the basepaths, and an excellent offensive player, by any standards (let alone his position’s). The only negative associated with him is his health, and those issues were at least made worse by the quacks running the Mets medical staff. Jose Reyes is absolutely the better player going forward.

• uyf1950 - Jun 23, 2011 at 2:09 PM

yournuts – Why so belligerent? It’s one thing to be opinionated it’s something else completely to be total intolerant of others views. While I take no pleasure in saying this it is my opinion you show your ignorance by your intolerance of others views. BTW, I would very much appreciate it if you speak only for yourself and stay away from comments like and I quote “We YANKEE fans don’t want Jose Reyes.” While it’s obvious you don’t want him, you do not speak for all Yankees fans. Like I’ve mentioned before I have been a Yankees fan for over 50 years, born and raised in NY City. I have seen all the Yankee greats during that time from Yogi, Ford, Mantle, Munson and the list goes on and on. So please do NOT presume to speak for me. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, even posters that you don’t agree with.

• Ari Collins - Jun 23, 2011 at 2:22 PM

Will you stop posting things I agree with? This ain’t no fun.

• uyf1950 - Jun 23, 2011 at 2:29 PM

Ari, I’m sure there will be something we can disagree about after Friday’s games. I wouldn’t worry if I were you.

8. deathmonkey41 - Jun 23, 2011 at 4:00 PM

I’m trying to figure out who is going to give him a Jason Werth-type contract. The Mets are out. The Yankees are out. The Red Sox are most likely out. And I would think the Phillies would be out. Who does that leave? The Angels- who are already saddled with a bunch of bad contracts? The Nationals? I’m just not seeing him getting that kind of money from anyone, but I also didn’t see Jason Werth getting a Jason Werth-type contract, so who knows?

Pineda ejection wrong message from MLB
  1. I. Davis (3652)