Phillie Phanatic gets smacked with a foul ball

Jun 23, 2011, 9:33 AM EDT

Phanatic

I knew a guy who used to do the mascot thing. It’s not an easy gig. The suits are hotter than blue blazes, it’s not easy to see in them, let alone dance and clown around, and you can bet your life on the fact that at least half of the people you interact with over the age of 10 are going to be jackasses to you.

I suppose, given his stature as baseball’s most popular and acclaimed mascot, life for the Phillie Phanatic is a bit better than the guy wearing the bobcat suit for a single-A team, but that does not mean that the job is without its hazards:

The Phillie Phanatic, making a rare minor league visit to Allentown, was taken to a hospital Wednesday night after he was hit in the neck by a foul ball during the IronPigs baseball game at Coca-Cola Park. Tom Burgoyne, the man behind the Philadelphia Phillies mascot’s green fur, was still being treated at 10:15 p.m. in the emergency room of Lehigh Valley Hospital-Cedar Crest.

The Phanatic’s neck is where Mr. Burgoyne’s head would be, so it’s no surprise that he was shaken up.  Here’s hoping he’s OK and is back to, I dunno, riding ATVs and picking fights with opposing backup catchers and first base coaches soon.

1. Chris Fiorentino - Jun 23, 2011 at 9:35 AM

Greatest. Mascot. Ever.

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 23, 2011 at 9:51 AM

Yes. Yes he is.

• phukyouk - Jun 23, 2011 at 10:09 AM

no way.. noone will ever be better than Springy the Springfield Spring!

• Old Gator - Jun 23, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Fools! No one ever inhabited a mascot like Haruo Nakajima. And no one ever will.

• kopy - Jun 23, 2011 at 10:14 AM

If you had made “mascot” plural, and prefaced the statement with “One of the”, I would be more inclined to agree with you. There are just so many great mascots out there, some of which are no longer around.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 23, 2011 at 10:17 AM

No, Kopy. The Phanatic is the greatest mascot that ever lived. Period. Don’t cheapen the subject.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 23, 2011 at 10:24 AM

And the reason these pretenders—no, not Chrissie Hinde—are no longer around? They weren’t the Greatest. Mascot. Ever.

• kopy - Jun 23, 2011 at 10:27 AM

I respect your opinion, ‘cepts. The Phanatic is, I would say, the best right now, but there are other mascots that have a more classic appeal because they have been around longer. Mr. Red, Mr. Met, the San Diego Chicken (who inspired the creation of the Phanatic), Bernie Brewer, Chief Noc-a-homa… All of them are great, classic mascots, and it’s hard to put the Phanatic above them.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 23, 2011 at 10:31 AM

Respectfully, Kopy, Mr. Met couldn’t hold a candlestick to the Phanatic’s nuts (LOL!).

2. halladaysbicepts - Jun 23, 2011 at 9:53 AM

The Phanatic’s best friend, Tom Burgoyne (the man behind the costume), was just on 610 WIP in Philly. He said the Phanatic is fine. He did suffer a mild concussion, though. But he said the Phanatic will be back in Allentown tonight to party with Chubby Checker, who will be there.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 23, 2011 at 9:56 AM

I’m so glad that I have been reminded that Chubby Checker exists. Awesome.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 23, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Chubby Checker was the bomb when he did the song with the Fat Boys. Doing the twist with the Fat Boys was great.

3. Old Gator - Jun 23, 2011 at 9:57 AM

He looks like a refugee from a bar on Tatooine. I’ve seen less grotesque organisms under an electron microscope. All that caked dried Velveeta on his fluff attracts bacteria, which rapidly mutates into plagues. He carries Pfiesteria in his phlegm. He jumps like a hyperpineal flea. Kirstie Alley has a better figure. His mother wears army boots. He has no visible genitalia. And he’s totally inarticulate, but fortunately his enunciates only operate on the same frequencies as a dog whistle.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 23, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Your mascot smells like old Feesh.

• cur68 - Jun 23, 2011 at 10:04 AM

The Blue Jay’s mascot used to be named ‘BJ Birdie’. They foolishly renamed him ‘Ace’. I don’t understand why.

• Old Gator - Jun 23, 2011 at 10:09 AM

I think that’s the cheerleaders. Ever seen them…uh…dance?

• Jonny 5 - Jun 23, 2011 at 10:24 AM

Ahhh Cheerleaders….. Phillies don’t have cheerleaders. What gives?

• Utley's Hair - Jun 23, 2011 at 10:26 AM

There is an establishment named for them, though, Jonny.

• cur68 - Jun 23, 2011 at 10:29 AM

I’ve never had the pleasure, more’s the pity. But I will say this; it’s my fault for expecting more of a girl who’s chief role in life is leaping around in unison with other girls. If they don’t at least get the punch line of the amusing story I’m telling what’s the point? One day I hope to meet a smart cheerleader. They have to be out there. I know there is hope for just the other day I bought a bag of frozen prawns that had “Jumbo Shrimp” on the package. I now know for certain that these contradictions do exist. Just gotta keep trying…

• Old Gator - Jun 23, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Cur: in unison? Surely you jest. Have you ever seen a film of the Mermaids…uh…dancing? They are to choreography what Brownian motion is to a stream of laser photons. Go to the Feesh homepage (flamarlins.com…though, since the stadium deal, a lot of us think of it as flamarlins.con) and look at the peectures of the Mermaids (usually a link at the lower right of the screen someplace). I challenge you to find one seengle picture wherein they’re all in synch. If you can, I’ll buy you a beaver merkin for your least significant other.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 23, 2011 at 10:12 AM

Actually I’m pretty sure the Phanatic is in the back of the Mos Eisley Cantina if you look real close.

• cur68 - Jun 23, 2011 at 10:14 AM

That’s funny. I thought I saw him in the band…

4. sdelmonte - Jun 23, 2011 at 9:57 AM

So if he goes on the DL, do they call up Dancing Homer?

• phukyouk - Jun 23, 2011 at 10:10 AM

please see comment above

5. Jonny 5 - Jun 23, 2011 at 9:58 AM

Who is this Mr. Burgoyne character you speak of Craig? I do not understand, he lives in the Phanatic’s neck? Is he like Quatto who resides in Joe Wests neck? Anyway…

All of our prayers are with you Mr. Phillie Phanatic…. I hope the missus is taking good care of you.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 23, 2011 at 10:06 AM

Quatto from Total Recall. Awesome.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 23, 2011 at 10:27 AM

Next, Craig will start spewing disparaging remarks about Mickey Mouse, the Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 23, 2011 at 10:34 AM

Nah. Craig has much more disdain for Frank McCourt. He would not worry about people as insignificant as Mickey Mouse, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy.

• phukyouk - Jun 23, 2011 at 10:44 AM

Micker and the easter bunny are not people.. im just sayin’

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 23, 2011 at 10:48 AM

phukyouk,

Mickey Mouse and the Easter Bunny are certainly people. I usually talk to them after I’ve had about 20 beers.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 23, 2011 at 10:49 AM

And the Tooth Fairy looks like the Rock?

• phukyouk - Jun 23, 2011 at 10:54 AM

talking to them does not make them ppl.. Pinocchio was able to talk but he was’t a “real” boy, amirite?

• Utley's Hair - Jun 23, 2011 at 10:58 AM

Pinocchio was a real boy at the end of the story.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 23, 2011 at 10:59 AM

phukyouk,

If I am in a drunken stupor and can see them and talk to them, they are people to me.

• Old Gator - Jun 23, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Stop calling me the Tooth Fairy. You owe me awe!

6. mdpickles - Jun 23, 2011 at 11:07 AM

The Phanatic was quite a pitching prospect coming out of the Galapagos Islands, but took a line drive up the middle of the head in AA and became a mascot. I’m sure this incident brought back bad memories :(

• Old Gator - Jun 23, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Dear Buddha, the Galapagos is where I get my shade grown in volcanic soil organic coffee from (Ja, that’s the secret ingredient in new Ersatz Brothers coffee. Look here: http://www.coffeeam.com/orgaliscof.html

But mainly, I dread to think what ecological niche he evolved to fill. Clearly, he didn’t have as much time to work with as the finch with the grub tool.

7. dirtyharry1971 - Jun 23, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Mascots are for teams that pretty much suck and until the last handful of years the phillies really sucked so the Mascot was there to take your attention off the scoreboard. Any “Real” team doesnt need such nonsense but in a couple of years the Phanatic will be needed once again in philly cause they will suck again. Thats not a opinion, thats fact so all you philly scum, make sure you vote this down, LOL

• dexterismyhero - Jun 23, 2011 at 1:16 PM

nice try doucheyharry……thumbs up here…..

8. Jonny 5 - Jun 23, 2011 at 1:43 PM

Not for the faint of heart. The actual footage of this terrible event.

• Old Gator - Jun 23, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Next time foul it into the bull mascot, oaf.

9. sasquash20 - Jun 23, 2011 at 4:07 PM

The Phanatic rocks! Even in pain he played that brilliant. Best mascot ever no doubt! Don’t hate the Phanatic because you by all the media hype about Philly fans being so bad.

10. schmedley69 - Jun 23, 2011 at 9:56 PM

I high-fived The Phanatic when he came into my section at a game last season and his hand was completely soaked in sweat. Definitely not an easy job.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey