Jun 23, 2011, 8:00 PM EDT
Beckett has been battling flu-like symptoms since the beginning of last week and is just now starting to show signs of improving health.
The Red Sox will use Jon Lester in Friday night’s series-opener against the Pirates, with Tim Wakefield handling Saturday’s start and Andrew Miller making his second appearance for Boston on Sunday. Monday is a scheduled off day.
Beckett, 31, has posted a sparkling 1.86 ERA and 0.92 WHIP through 14 starts this season, striking out 7.7 batters per nine innings. He’ll be in the running for his first Cy Young award if he finishes strong.
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 18
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 86
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 56
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (86)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)