Jun 23, 2011, 8:00 PM EDT
Beckett has been battling flu-like symptoms since the beginning of last week and is just now starting to show signs of improving health.
The Red Sox will use Jon Lester in Friday night’s series-opener against the Pirates, with Tim Wakefield handling Saturday’s start and Andrew Miller making his second appearance for Boston on Sunday. Monday is a scheduled off day.
Beckett, 31, has posted a sparkling 1.86 ERA and 0.92 WHIP through 14 starts this season, striking out 7.7 batters per nine innings. He’ll be in the running for his first Cy Young award if he finishes strong.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)