Jun 23, 2011, 8:00 PM EDT
Beckett has been battling flu-like symptoms since the beginning of last week and is just now starting to show signs of improving health.
The Red Sox will use Jon Lester in Friday night’s series-opener against the Pirates, with Tim Wakefield handling Saturday’s start and Andrew Miller making his second appearance for Boston on Sunday. Monday is a scheduled off day.
Beckett, 31, has posted a sparkling 1.86 ERA and 0.92 WHIP through 14 starts this season, striking out 7.7 batters per nine innings. He’ll be in the running for his first Cy Young award if he finishes strong.
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 3
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 50
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 45
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)