Jun 23, 2011, 8:00 PM EST
Beckett has been battling flu-like symptoms since the beginning of last week and is just now starting to show signs of improving health.
The Red Sox will use Jon Lester in Friday night’s series-opener against the Pirates, with Tim Wakefield handling Saturday’s start and Andrew Miller making his second appearance for Boston on Sunday. Monday is a scheduled off day.
Beckett, 31, has posted a sparkling 1.86 ERA and 0.92 WHIP through 14 starts this season, striking out 7.7 batters per nine innings. He’ll be in the running for his first Cy Young award if he finishes strong.
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 141
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 66
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 42
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (141)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)