Jun 23, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT
UPDATE: Holy schnikes! Jim Riggleman resigned right after the game.
Washington just beat Seattle 1-0, with a walkoff sac fly — the most exciting walkoff in all of baseball! — to win it. That’s a sweep of the Mariners. The most mind-boggling thing about it is that the sweep comes even though Mariners’ starters allowed a mere one earned run in 21 innings of work in the series. Talk about tough luck. Or being opportunistic. Or simply strange crap happening. Pick one, because they all apply.
Today’s win was the Nats’ 11th in their last 12 games. They’re a game over .500 and are easily playing their best baseball in years. Possibly their best baseball since coming down from Montreal.
Nats fever: catch it!
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 6
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 57
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 42
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69