Jun 23, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT
UPDATE: Holy schnikes! Jim Riggleman resigned right after the game.
Washington just beat Seattle 1-0, with a walkoff sac fly — the most exciting walkoff in all of baseball! — to win it. That’s a sweep of the Mariners. The most mind-boggling thing about it is that the sweep comes even though Mariners’ starters allowed a mere one earned run in 21 innings of work in the series. Talk about tough luck. Or being opportunistic. Or simply strange crap happening. Pick one, because they all apply.
Today’s win was the Nats’ 11th in their last 12 games. They’re a game over .500 and are easily playing their best baseball in years. Possibly their best baseball since coming down from Montreal.
Nats fever: catch it!
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 12
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Blue Jays, Giants “taking their best shot” at Chase Utley 19
- Baseball is dying, you guys (149)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)