Jun 23, 2011, 4:00 PM EST
UPDATE: Holy schnikes! Jim Riggleman resigned right after the game.
Washington just beat Seattle 1-0, with a walkoff sac fly — the most exciting walkoff in all of baseball! — to win it. That’s a sweep of the Mariners. The most mind-boggling thing about it is that the sweep comes even though Mariners’ starters allowed a mere one earned run in 21 innings of work in the series. Talk about tough luck. Or being opportunistic. Or simply strange crap happening. Pick one, because they all apply.
Today’s win was the Nats’ 11th in their last 12 games. They’re a game over .500 and are easily playing their best baseball in years. Possibly their best baseball since coming down from Montreal.
Nats fever: catch it!
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 43
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 84
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 36
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (85)