Jun 23, 2011, 10:32 PM EDT
Jim Hoey, who has surrendered 22 hits and 17 runs in 14 innings of relief this season, was optioned back to Triple-A Rochester to make room.
Nathan returned a bit too quickly this year from Tommy John surgery and posted a 7.63 ERA and 1.70 WHIP in 17 appearances before landing on the disabled list in late May with inflammation in his elbow. He made three rehab appearances with Rochester this week, allowing only two hits and an unearned run while striking out five.
Matt Capps has done a fine job as Minnesota’s closer since Nathan’s early struggles got him removed from the role, and the current setup isn’t likely to change unless Nathan begins mowing batters down with great frequency. For now, the 36-year-old will simply try to get back to basics in setup duty.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)