Jun 24, 2011, 5:44 AM EDT
Giants 2, Twins 1: Welcome back to the land of the living, Tim Lincecum. Timmy fans 12 and allows only three hits in seven shutout innings, notching his best start in over a month. No managers resigned after this game.
Nationals 1, Mariners 0: Hit this one up yesterday, but the game itself got lost in the shuffle of Riggleman going all Johnny Paycheck on the Nats’ butts. The Nats have won 11 of 12. No matter what they do going forward, it’s gonna suck for Riggleman’s legacy. If they continue to win, well, he wasn’t that important. If they lose, he quit on the team and sent them into a tailspin.
Mets 4, Athletics 1: Chris Capuano pitched six scoreless innings but left early because his side was hurting. Jose Reyes was 2 for 4 with an RBI and a run scored. Rain delay of 2:15. Game time of 2:37.
Cardinals 12, Phillies 2: Oswalt’s exit — and his rather fatalistic attitude about it after the game — is obviously the big story here. After a pretty crappy week, the Cards managed a 14-hit onslaught supporting Chris Carpenter, who got his first win in ages. Best part of the game, pointed out to me by Kiwicricket: Fernando Salas was brought into a 6-1 game with two outs in the eighth and threw one pitch which ended the inning. Then, despite a six-run outburst by the Cards in the bottom of the inning, La Russa sent out a different pitcher to finish the ninth. Viva la specialization.
Diamondbacks 5, Royals 3: Daniel Hudson becomes roughly the 2,305th pitcher in major league baseball to get his ninth win this year. The Dbacks sweep Kansas City, winning their 15th of the their last 19 road games.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 36
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 30
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 86
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 17
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)