Jun 24, 2011, 5:44 AM EST
Giants 2, Twins 1: Welcome back to the land of the living, Tim Lincecum. Timmy fans 12 and allows only three hits in seven shutout innings, notching his best start in over a month. No managers resigned after this game.
Nationals 1, Mariners 0: Hit this one up yesterday, but the game itself got lost in the shuffle of Riggleman going all Johnny Paycheck on the Nats’ butts. The Nats have won 11 of 12. No matter what they do going forward, it’s gonna suck for Riggleman’s legacy. If they continue to win, well, he wasn’t that important. If they lose, he quit on the team and sent them into a tailspin.
Mets 4, Athletics 1: Chris Capuano pitched six scoreless innings but left early because his side was hurting. Jose Reyes was 2 for 4 with an RBI and a run scored. Rain delay of 2:15. Game time of 2:37.
Cardinals 12, Phillies 2: Oswalt’s exit — and his rather fatalistic attitude about it after the game — is obviously the big story here. After a pretty crappy week, the Cards managed a 14-hit onslaught supporting Chris Carpenter, who got his first win in ages. Best part of the game, pointed out to me by Kiwicricket: Fernando Salas was brought into a 6-1 game with two outs in the eighth and threw one pitch which ended the inning. Then, despite a six-run outburst by the Cards in the bottom of the inning, La Russa sent out a different pitcher to finish the ninth. Viva la specialization.
Diamondbacks 5, Royals 3: Daniel Hudson becomes roughly the 2,305th pitcher in major league baseball to get his ninth win this year. The Dbacks sweep Kansas City, winning their 15th of the their last 19 road games.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)