And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights

Jun 24, 2011, 5:44 AM EDT

Tim Lincecum

Giants 2, Twins 1: Welcome back to the land of the living, Tim Lincecum.  Timmy fans 12 and allows only three hits in seven shutout innings, notching his best start in over a month. No managers resigned after this game.

Nationals 1, Mariners 0: Hit this one up yesterday, but the game itself got lost in the shuffle of Riggleman going all Johnny Paycheck on the Nats’ butts. The Nats have won 11 of 12. No matter what they do going forward, it’s gonna suck for Riggleman’s legacy. If they continue to win, well, he wasn’t that important. If they lose, he quit on the team and sent them into a tailspin.

Mets 4, Athletics 1: Chris Capuano pitched six scoreless innings but left early because his side was hurting. Jose Reyes was 2 for 4 with an RBI and a run scored. Rain delay of 2:15. Game time of 2:37.

Cardinals 12, Phillies 2: Oswalt’s exit — and his rather fatalistic attitude about it after the game — is obviously the big story here. After a pretty crappy week, the Cards managed a 14-hit onslaught supporting Chris Carpenter, who got his first win in ages. Best part of the game, pointed out to me by Kiwicricket: Fernando Salas was brought into a 6-1 game with two outs in the eighth and threw one pitch which ended the inning. Then, despite a six-run outburst by the Cards in the bottom of the inning, La Russa sent out a different pitcher to finish the ninth. Viva la specialization.

Diamondbacks 5, Royals 3: Daniel Hudson becomes roughly the 2,305th pitcher in major league baseball to get his ninth win this year. The Dbacks sweep Kansas City, winning their 15th of the their last 19 road games.

1. drmonkeyarmy - Jun 24, 2011 at 8:20 AM

This has to be the end of Dennys Baez in Philadelphia, right? As bad as his previous performances have been, this had to be his worst. Somebody in AAA has to be better than this guy. Too bad about Oswalt. He hasn’t been pitching well for awhile now so I don’t view it as a super significant loss at this point. Kendrick is a capable starter. People like to bash the kid, but he has always stepped up when they needed him. On a more concerning note, the Phillies corner outfielders have to be the worst in baseball. With Brown and Ibanez slumping big time and Francisco being Francisco, there is no production out of those two spots. On a positive note, Brian Schneider should be activated today with Sardinha mercifully going back down. Also on the positive, 19 year old Jon Singleton is finally starting to tear in up for the high A Threshers. 2 home runs and a double last night after that 6 rbi game a couple days ago.

• bleedgreen - Jun 24, 2011 at 8:30 AM

The problem with getting rid of Baez is they’re already down 2 men in the pen with Romero being let go, and Kendrick having to be put into the rotation. Zagurski is a AAA stud and a MLB dud. Methieson seems to be the same.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 24, 2011 at 8:35 AM

But what is the point of keeping somebody around who is terrible? My assertion is that somebody in AAA would do a better job. Possibly Andrew Carpenter who has pitched well out of the bullpen for the Iron Pigs or Jason Grilli who has done the same.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 24, 2011 at 9:42 AM

Well I guess the Phillies don’t have much to trade with for a RH bat afterall unless it’s a minor league guy. Oswalt is going to be lucky to be back by the end of July the way things look. Contreras, Lidge, Blanton, all hurt as well. Then we have Baez, whom the Phillies refuse to release. He’s terrible. Why keep him? I can’t see why for the life of me why they let Romero go before Baez. It disgusts me to see him use up a spot when it could be filled with someone of value to the team.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 24, 2011 at 11:42 AM

I still say they should try what worked on his shoulder before—hook him up to a live sparkplug, and see if it works.

2. paperlions - Jun 24, 2011 at 8:31 AM

Don’t look now, but the NL has “won” the last 3 days (9-4, 9-6, and 4-0), and that is with two of the better NL teams not involved in interleague play, now their record against the AL is only horrible instead of pathetic.

• simon94022 - Jun 24, 2011 at 10:10 AM

The NL’s overall 60-66 record vs the AL isn’t horrible.

And when you break it down by division, you see that the weakness is centered in one part of the league:

East: 21-21 vs AL teams.
      Central: 18-27
      West: 21-18

this continues the pattern of most of the last decade. Just as the AL is lifted up by the extreme strength of the AL East, the NL is dragged down by the extreme weakness of the NL Central.

• paperlions - Jun 24, 2011 at 10:37 AM

Oh yeah, that isn’t too bad at all….with the whole “see, the AL is still sooooooo much better than the NL thing”, I didn’t think the last few days would have had such an effect.

• Ari Collins - Jun 24, 2011 at 12:36 PM

We’ll see how things go these last 10 days of interleague!

3. paperlions - Jun 24, 2011 at 8:31 AM

Apparently, operating a bulldozer is the only thing that doesn’t hurt Oswalt’s back.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 24, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Not sure why you get five thumbs downs…that comment is appropriate, not too soon, and hilarious. What’s that bicepts? Oh, sorry, I thought you said something…

• Utley's Hair - Jun 24, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Actually, bicepts probably would’ve agreed with it (I seem to remember him repeatedly blasting Oswalt about it, but I could be mistaken). I don’t—his back was ailing prior to the leave.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 24, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Actually you’re right. Bicepts totally blasted Oswalt for being a family man and also bulldozing tough guy (my words). It certainly seems as if this could spell the end to an illustrious career. This things even make a Braves fan a bit sad. I like good players playing good ball. Period.

4. Jonny 5 - Jun 24, 2011 at 9:44 AM

Paybacks for the first game of the Phills – Cards series I presume? What a whoopin’!

5. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 24, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Timmeh!!!!! So glad you’re back, my friend.

6. spudchukar - Jun 24, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Theriot continues to get big hits, his two out single plated two, giving us breathing room, and then Berkman left no doubt with his three-run opposite field dinger. Carpenter was good early but still struggled with his control later. Like most teams the Phillies middle relief, offers little, and the Birds piled on. Been some time since we had a “laugher”. Joan might be a better option than Danys. The Kids chipped in with contributions from Jay, Cruz, and Hamilton.

OK, Cur, time for a little virtual bet, I dunno, a Beaver Pelt or something.

7. APBA Guy - Jun 24, 2011 at 12:18 PM

And now, the series we’ve been waiting for in Oakland, the matchup of “Young Guns” versus “Old Masters”, Oakland at Philly, and tonight’s blast of excitement is….Moscoso v. Worley…

Thud.

J5, Utley, et al, you guys have the best record in baseball. Oakland is coming off two losses to the Mutts in which they’ve scored a total of 3 runs. Think there will be a problem?

Yesterday the A’s had almost as many errors as hits (2 and 5), and now are dead last in team fielding among MLB teams. This is important to the Beane Plan. When you’ve traded away Andre Ethier, Carlos Gonzalez, Nelson Cruz, and Brett Wallace for pitching and defense, you expect to be, well, not dead last in fielding. This is especially important when facing a team like Philadelphia which scores inconsistently but suppresses opposition scoring so effectively.

I don’t like the matchups in the series for Oakland:

Moscoso v. Worley-I expect Philly to crush mediocre right handers like Moscoso. Just wait for strikes, so that every extra base hit will be an RBI opportunity as Moscoso will walk plenty of guys.

The White Rabbit v. Hamels- two SoCal guys facing off, if the good Rabbit shows up this could be interesting. If Cahill can’t find the zone, see Game 1.

Outman v. Halladay- This could be tougher than Philly thinks, because Outman on his day can locate very precisely and has sneaky velocity. Against the largely LH Philly lineup, assuming a normal, dominant Doc showing, this could be a close game going into the bullpen and with some luck could go Oakland’s way.

So my money is on a sweep by Philly, basically with ease, as I think Oakland will be in awe of the best team in baseball, and will stumble and muff their way through three games, embarrassing themselves and the AL while so doing. But maybe, possibly, just remotely, they could squeak one win in there somehow.

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 24, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Hi APBA. I wish we had a Rockies fan around here that could give us a scouting report as comprehensive as yours is with the A’s. They’re bringing in starters with ERAs just barely below 5.00, but teams close to the magical incubator that we haven';t seen can be tricky. Good AJ, lately good Nova, and always good CC will probably contain them, especially if we keep Pena off 3rd base. ARod’s had plenty of rest now
      Phillies ARE tough, but we’ve got until late October to worry about that.

• APBA Guy - Jun 24, 2011 at 2:59 PM

Len, I see a little of the Rockies when they play los Gigantes. Ubaldo we all know, he can be Cy Young or he can be up in the zone or out if it altogether and that right field porch will get peppered. “See ya'” could be a common expression tonight. Or, “Strike 3″. Depends on which Ubaldo shows up.

Cook is a mushballer and he’s a righty so this should be a Yankee blowout. Really, less than 8 runs in this one has to be considered a disappointment, unless the Yankees rest everyone.

Nicosia I don’t know at all. I guess he’s a replacement for De La Rosa, who’s on the 60 day DL.

Colorado’s road OPS is .685, but keep in mind that’s depressed by LA, SD, and SF, while helped by AZ, so overall, it will be better in Yankee stadium than .685, given sufficient sample size. By contrast, their home OPS is .779. The Yankees are .802 at home, so clearly the Yankees offense is much better.

Should be very interesting though, not just for the return of Giambi, who isn’t much these days besides a 3 true outcomes batter, but because Santa Clara native Troy Tulowitzki and Carlos Gonzalez are really fun to watch.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 24, 2011 at 12:52 PM

APBA, after last night’s output, I wouldn’t be so sure about tonight. Worley can be dominant, as he was the first two outings, but he can also be quite hittable. Who knows? I’ll be there for it tonight. Here’s hoping the greenhorn produces, as well as the offense, ’cause I’m in the mood for runs and the crack of the bat.

Also remember, the teams the Phightins should shut down and sweep under the rug tend to give them fits.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 24, 2011 at 1:08 PM

How bout the fly boys? un &*%^*$%&^$ real.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 24, 2011 at 1:18 PM

I’m in mourning—and apprehensive about the nine-year contract to a 31-year-old.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 24, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Yeah, but by the model of Baaahhhstaaann. They need a goaltender. I too am in mourning, I think Richards was a silly move myself. Carter??? They did OK with that trade to free up $$$ I guess, plus what they got back wasn’t too bad. They will have plenty of $$ to pick up a FA at this point. Even after signing Cheesebryz. I’m still going to miss these guys i planned on seeing for years to come in the orange and black.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 24, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Well, Holmgren knows more about hockey than we do, right? I hope? They do have a habit of shipping off these guys that you think are going to hang ‘em up here. Richards sounded crushed on MMR this morning

• Jonny 5 - Jun 24, 2011 at 1:08 PM

APBA, good preview, I like. I don’t agree 100% though. One thing you don’t see but I think I see, but still aren’t too sure actually. Charlie seems to give the core Players on the Phillies the most breaks during inter-league play as opposed to when they face NL & NL east teams. I predict Rollins, Polanco, and Utley to all get breaks this series, maybe not for tonight with the fresh meat on the mound, but for the final two with the guys on the hill being who they are and all. Expect to see a lot of guys Named Martinez and Valdez during this series. So with them it tends to dull the offense even more so than it normally is. I don’t think the Phillies get a sweep. I expect close games.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 24, 2011 at 1:19 PM

By the way, Perez has an awkward delivery. Watching him pitch last night actually hurt.

• APBA Guy - Jun 24, 2011 at 3:06 PM

Utley, J5-

I’m intrigued by the notion of close games, though you guys see way more of the Phillies than I do so you should know. In close games the A’s have a chance, since they are by default a small ball team, and have a few guys who are genuinely fast, like Crisp and Weeks, but also Pennington and Sweeney. So getting 1 run is doable on occasion. Plus the A’s bullpen is good this year.

I’d be happy if the A’s came away with one game. I don’t think they will, but that’s why they play the games. It’d be a lot more fun if Gio or Mr. Anderson (healthy) were on the mound in addition to Cahill. It certainly wasn’t pretty when we faced the Yankees and the Sox, so that’s my baseline for expectations against the Phils: we stand to get crushed.

8. Justin - Jun 24, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Lincecum was lights out. Michael Cuddyer did pretty well against him going 2 for 3 with a RBI but the rest of the Twins? 1 for 24 with 12 Ks. Ouch! Hard to be too upset when Lincecum is the guy to send you on your first 2 game losing streak this month. (http://minnesporta.wordpress.com/2011/06/23/twins-fall-short-in-pitching-duel/)

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate