Jun 24, 2011, 10:47 AM EST
Jose Bautista has played exclusively right field this season and robbed Jordan Schafer of a home run out there earlier this week, but yesterday the Blue Jays announced that they’re moving him back to third base as soon as Monday.
Bautista started 45 games at third base last season and was initially slated to return there this year, but the Blue Jays decided during spring training to give Edwin Encarnacion a shot at the hot corner instead. That didn’t work out very well and Toronto third basemen have hit just .177 overall.
Top prospect Brett Lawrie would have gotten the call to step in at third base already, but he’s been slow to recover from a hand injury at Triple-A. In the meantime Bautista volunteered to play wherever the team needs him most and this move allows the Blue Jays to get another good bat like Travis Snider or Eric Thames into the lineup in the outfield.
Next month Bautista will start the All-Star game as an outfielder.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)