Jun 24, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
Jose Bautista has played exclusively right field this season and robbed Jordan Schafer of a home run out there earlier this week, but yesterday the Blue Jays announced that they’re moving him back to third base as soon as Monday.
Bautista started 45 games at third base last season and was initially slated to return there this year, but the Blue Jays decided during spring training to give Edwin Encarnacion a shot at the hot corner instead. That didn’t work out very well and Toronto third basemen have hit just .177 overall.
Top prospect Brett Lawrie would have gotten the call to step in at third base already, but he’s been slow to recover from a hand injury at Triple-A. In the meantime Bautista volunteered to play wherever the team needs him most and this move allows the Blue Jays to get another good bat like Travis Snider or Eric Thames into the lineup in the outfield.
Next month Bautista will start the All-Star game as an outfielder.
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 5
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 92
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 13
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 55
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (95)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)