Derek Jeter may be out longer than we thought

Jun 24, 2011, 8:50 AM EDT

jeter grimace Getty Images

When Derek Jeter went on the disabled list with his bum calf, there was a sense that he’d do his 15 days and then be ready to go when he was eligible to come off on June 29th.  That target date is in doubt, however, reports George King of the New York Post, inasmuch as he has not resumed any baseball activities, which he had been reported to be on track to do earlier this week.

According to Brian Cashman, Jeter is still feeling some discomfort in his calf and is doing nothing but long toss.  As has been repeatedly noted, calf injuries can be of a nagging sort, and this one appears to be nagging a bit.

1. drmonkeyarmy - Jun 24, 2011 at 8:52 AM

Jimmy Rollins broke this story when Jeter first got hurt.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 24, 2011 at 9:06 AM

Yes, he did say something about it, since he had a ton of experience with calf problems last year. I would be surprised if Jeter plays again before the all-star break…even to hit hurts, so to bring him in and DH him wouldn’t even help his healing.

• Glenn - Jun 24, 2011 at 9:08 AM

Having him DH would help the rest of the American League, though.

2. wahbjo01 - Jun 24, 2011 at 9:24 AM

This is wonderful news for the Yankees.

• itsacurse - Jun 24, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Cashman is currently contacting other teams, gauging the market for a replacement Rally-Killing GIDP machine.

3. pisano - Jun 24, 2011 at 10:50 AM

“Derek Jeter may be out longer than we thought” that works for me, the Yankees have been doing just fine without him. If I’m correct their record without him is 9 wins and 2 losses, and 1/2 game behind Boston.

4. yankeesfanlen - Jun 24, 2011 at 11:06 AM

It just seems like there are enough players on the DL throughout MLB to fill two divisions needs, at least. And they’re all taking longer than ever to heal.
    Very fortunately for the Yankees, the injury ledger gives us back the most significant players on our roster first-to wit:
    Colon- may make next start
    Hughes- on the horizon
    Jeter- 15 day, now a little more
    Soriano– Who dat?
    THE FAT TOAD- next year.
    So, we’re getting by with help from teams that are equally beat uup, with some of them not working the work-around that well.

• APBA Guy - Jun 24, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Len-next year may be “optimistic” for THE FAT TOAD. Oakland’s Outman and Devine took two full years to recover from TJ, although both are now pitching effectively. My guess for your good friend is probably 2013. He’ll just be a dim memory by then.

5. uyf1950 - Jun 24, 2011 at 11:28 AM

To Both My Friends, pisano and yankeesfanlen. Good to see both of you here this morning.
    While you hate to see any professional athlete miss time dud to an injury. I do agree that the Yankees have not missed a beat with Jeter being out and Nunez replacing him. If Nunez could only work on his defense it would be a major plus. But I’m confident with more playing time and experience after all Nunez is still a very young guy Nunez will be just fine. Off the subject of Jeter/Nunez I do have a huge concern about Pena subbing for A-Rod or Cano.
    As for the injury list, obviously there are several players that were missed. For example Chavez which I think will be a huge help both offensively and defensively over Pena as a bench player to relieve A-Rod when necessary. I think the Yankees are missing Feliciano a lot more then people realize. He was to be another left handed reliever…and to be honest Logan has not lived up to expectations this season, Feliciano is sorely missed. But life go on and and as I’ve said before you play the hand you’re dealt…and the Yankees have done in my opinion surprisingly well.

• uyf1950 - Jun 24, 2011 at 11:30 AM

oops. “due” to an injury.

• pisano - Jun 24, 2011 at 12:09 PM

uyf1950… My buddy, I couldn’t agree with you more. Chavez will be a big help offensively and defensively, Pena will most likely be sent down when Chavez comes back. Nunez, as you say will be fine with more playing time. As we know many teams have asked for him in trade talks so there has to be something they all see. The Feliciano injury has hurt because Logan is not what he was last year, but if you think back he was used more last year and I think he’s a little rusty. I’m not blaming Joe for not having confidence in him, but he’s damned if he uses him and damned if he doesn’t. I don’t think anyone would have thought the Yankees would be where they are with all the injuries they have had. My hats off to them, and as you say: “keep the faith”

6. ricofoy - Jun 24, 2011 at 11:31 AM

When Jeter went down I looked at the schedule and said he’s not coming back until 7/22. The start of a 10 game homestand. There’s no way he’s getting that 3000th hit anywhere but the Stadium.

7. royalsfaninfargo - Jun 24, 2011 at 11:56 AM

So Jeter getting his 3000th hit/saving mankind and bringing about world peace will have to wait? I dont know how the rest of us mere mortals shall cope with this development.

8. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 24, 2011 at 12:05 PM

Hurray, say the Brett Gardner fantasy owners. Hopefully during his time off Jeter will figure out a way to lift a ball in the air once in a while. At least fly balls usually lead to only one out.

• uyf1950 - Jun 24, 2011 at 12:08 PM

I have to give you a thumbs up for that one.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 24, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Don’t get me wrong, I love Jeter, but I kiind of wish we were all looking forward to him retiring at the end of his 3,000 hits season, like Bernie Mac did. What will this situation look like in the 4th year of his new contract?

• uyf1950 - Jun 24, 2011 at 3:44 PM

sabathia, my friend. I couldn’t agree with you more. I’m hopefully (fingers crossed) that Jeter will take a cue from Andy Pettitte and retire before it is painfully obviously that his skills have diminished to the point of embarrassing him. Again, my hope is that is no later then the end of the 2012 season. I certainly hope that he does not exercise his 2014 option, period.
        I’m just not sure all the hoping, wishing, crossing of fingers, etc… will make it come to pass. We will just have to see how it plays out because like it or not I don’t foresee any change in Jeter’s current status for at least another 1 1/2 years.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win